Who you thinking will win the election???

Watch
HELLO1234445
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Labour looking weak, but do conservative really have the better side..........
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Doesnt matter the cons are not as poor as the others. Corbyn doesnt appeal to a wide enough part of the electorate.
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Labour, at the rate their poll numbers are going up...
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The conservatives were going to win a landslide victory until last week but then their new policies backfired, massively.
What were they thinking when they introduced the policy to punish pensioners, the people according to polls as well as business owners, most likely to vote for them.
Theresa May only needs to lose just 6 seats to lose the general election, to have her lead slashed by half is a disaster for them.
It is never going to be popular to do one of these two things, history teaches us it is never going to be popular to do one of these two things, pensioners are not going to be happy with one of these two things. If you're going to put elderly people's homes at risk that they worked all their lives for, just in case they get ill and their children to sacrifise their careers and money to look after their parents, in the hope that that will be compensated for in the inheritance of their homes from them and then have the state gobble all the funds up just because the elderly people can no longer care for themselves.
It is also never going to be popular to take food away from children in infant school, these are 5-8 year old children! Scrapping their free meals will affect about
900,000 children
double that, that is how many parents it affects,
quadruple that, that is how many grandparents who will be upset that you have taken food from their infant grandchild.

They would have won the election anyway, why target the most vulnerable sectors of our society to 'secure a landslide victory', they didn't even need to do it!
And now her votes are likely to be hemmoraged.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by that_guy874)
The conservatives were going to win a landslide victory until last week but then their new policies backfired, massively.
What were they thinking when they introduced the policy to punish pensioners, the people according to polls as well as business owners, most likely to vote for them.
Theresa May only needs to lose just 6 seats to lose the general election, to have her lead slashed by half is a disaster for them.
It is never going to be popular to do one of these two things, history teaches us it is never going to be popular to do one of these two things, pensioners are not going to be happy with one of these two things. If you're going to put elderly people's homes at risk that they worked all their lives for, just in case they get ill and their children to sacrifise their careers and money to look after their parents, in the hope that that will be compensated for in the inheritance of their homes from them and then have the state gobble all the funds up just because the elderly people can no longer care for themselves.
It is also never going to be popular to take food away from children in infant school, these are 5-8 year old children! Scrapping their free meals will affect about
900,000 children
double that, that is how many parents it affects,
quadruple that, that is how many grandparents who will be upset that you have taken food from their infant grandchild.

They would have won the election anyway, why target the most vulnerable sectors of our society to 'secure a landslide victory', they didn't even need to do it!
And now her votes are likely to be hemmoraged.
I agree, do you think this will backfire on May and who do you think should win?
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Labour, the polls said Hillary would win. Trump Won. They said Remain would win, Brexit won. The polls are totally unreliable.

I think there are loads of silent labour voters that will come out and vote during this election.
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would have voted for the conservatives but for the above reasons, I am decided whether or not to vote at all.
The Liberal Democrats are not democratic as they plan on reversing brexit, nor are they liberal as Tim Farron isn't that fond homosexual acts. There is also still some stigma and worry for me about whether they will follow their promises unlike Nick Clegg.

I also cannot vote for Labour, if Labour wins the general election, the party will be torn, multinationals will leave the country, small businesses will be taxed to closure all to eliminate tuition fees that they introduced.
And NEVER should every service be nationalised, just look at Venezuela and their Corbynesque policies.
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JMR2017)
I agree, do you think this will backfire on May and who do you think should win?
Those policies have already backfired on May, her likelihood of winning the election has been halved!

Honestly, now I think Labour could grasp it but it would destroy the party and if the government is not ran correctly, the economy would be fragile and jobs would almost certainly be lost.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Labour are climbing in the polls, and are predicted a higher vote share than they got in 2015, although how well that will translate into actual seats remains to be seen. It'll also be very interesting to see whether the SNP repeat their 2015 landslide in Scotland.

Realistically, the Tories are likely to win a majority, although I certainly wish they wouldn't!
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would have voted for the conservatives but for the above reasons, I am decided whether or not to vote at all.
The Liberal Democrats are not democratic as they plan on reversing brexit, nor are they liberal as Tim Farron isn't that fond homosexual acts. There is also still some stigma and worry for me about whether they will follow their promises unlike Nick Clegg.

I also cannot vote for Labour, if Labour wins the general election, the party will be torn, multinationals will leave the country, small businesses will be taxed to closure all to eliminate tuition fees that they introduced.
And NEVER should every service be nationalised, just look at Venezuela and their Corbynesque policies.
I have heard many people who said they are no longer voting Conservative after their manifesto...
Do you think today's U-turn is going to worsen Conservatives' position?
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have heard many people who said they are no longer voting Conservative after their manifesto...
Do you think today's U-turn is going to worsen Conservatives' position?
I think it will worsen their position, definitely, but maybe not enough to lose them the election. I am very unsure of the outcome because the Conservatives only need to lose 6 seats, that could go to SNP, to lose the election. It is going to be very close, I think.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Iy appears t most of Labour's impressive increase is due to the collapse of the smaller parties especially UKIP. The social care issue hasnt done the cons any favours, but they seem to be amending that on the hoof.
Beth_H
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it will worsen their position, definitely, but maybe not enough to lose them the election. I am very unsure of the outcome because the Conservatives only need to lose 6 seats, that could go to SNP, to lose the election. It is going to be very close, I think.
As much as I wish that defeating the Tories was that easy, the 6 seat figure was debunked pretty quickly (which is ironic, considering that it came from the PM herself). Besides, there are only three seats left in Scotland that the SNP don't already have.
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beth_H)
As much as I wish that defeating the Tories was that easy, the 6 seat figure was debunked pretty quickly (which is ironic, considering that it came from the PM herself). Besides, there are only three seats left in Scotland that the SNP don't already have.
Then that is 3 less seats for Labour to win.
Potato456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The greens will win

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by _NMcC_)
Labour, the polls said Hillary would win. Trump Won. They said Remain would win, Brexit won. The polls are totally unreliable.

I think there are loads of silent labour voters that will come out and vote during this election.
Some pollsters were actually correct.

ICM and Comres called the Tory win in 2015 (as did Ashcroft).
Leave actually averaged a 5% lead before Cox (indeed i bet the result and profited).
Hilary did win the popular vote, Trump simply won states.

The polls are generally pretty good.

Labour, at the rate their poll numbers are going up...
Those policies have already backfired on May, her likelihood of winning the election has been halved!

Honestly, now I think Labour could grasp it but it would destroy the party and if the government is not ran correctly, the economy would be fragile and jobs would almost certainly be lost.
You two are getting a bit giddy. The average Tory vote share before the weekend was a bit over 47%, the average now is a bit under 46%. With only two weeks to go, Labour were simply not gaining fast enough regardless.
Beth_H
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Some pollsters were actually correct.

ICM and Comres called the Tory win in 2015 (as did Ashcroft).
Leave actually averaged a 5% lead before Cox (indeed i bet the result and profited).
Hilary did win the popular vote, Trump simply won states.

The polls are generally pretty good.
The polls were also pretty accurate in predicting the recent French election.
The Parkman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought that we would get a Tory majority a few weeks back but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a hung parliament like we did in 2010.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads