Humans are meant to be polygamous

Watch
KyleH123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Our closest ancestors are - why aren't we?
username3186268
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I predict someone's a cheater/wanting a threesome.

We aren't polygamous because as time has progressed we live in smaller more isolated groups and having one sexual partner is more beneficial for raising a children. Having two parents per newborn is beneficial for migrating species with (was) many predators.

Not being polygamous is good for our gene pool and limits the amount of common ancestors within a group. Which reduces genetic defects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2908878
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not on my watch
clumsyorange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we were designed for polygamy, we wouldn't experience feelings of jealousy/possessiveness, I suppose.

At the same time, most people - particularly men - are unable to restrict their sexual attraction to a single partner, which I suppose would suggest that we are indeed biologically programmed to spread our genes as much as we can.

(Wasn't trying to be sexist there. 'Tis a fact.)
username2885164
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Panda's closest ancestors (other types of bears) ate meat, but Pandas exclusively eat plants. Just because Our Evolutionary ancestors practised polyamory doesn't mean we should. If you want to be polyamouros (no idea on spelling) with consenting partners then power to you, but it doesn't mean as a society we should artificially change the way that we have naturally structured things in society (which to be fair is the way that most people like it).
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Who or what do you suggest 'means' us to be anything in particular?
clumsyorange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Who or what do you suggest 'means' us to be anything in particular?
I suspect that OP meant in terms of natural instinct. Either that or they believe in a God that designed humans for orgies.
Angry Bird
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Supernova91)
Not on my watch
you like polygamy
The Great Game
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Men are supposed to be polyamorous, women are more prone to serial monogamy.
Dima-Blackburn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some parts of the world are okay with polygamy. Perhaps you should move.
username2908878
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Angry Bird)
you like polygamy
No
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Men polygamous
Women monogamaous
Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we were designed to be polygamous, oir societies would have developed so that polygamy is the norm. The fact that our societies have evolved so that monogamy is the generally accepted norm is enough proof that we are supposed to have one partner. Unless you can point put why it would be that the entire human race would have somehow develop societies with unnatural habits.

Your argument is weak anyway, our ancestors also walked on 4 legs, doesn't mean we are supposed to do that as well. That's the whole point, species evolve, thus our ancestors are necessarily, by definition, different from us.
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lmacwilliam)
I predict someone's a cheater/wanting a threesome.

We aren't polygamous because as time has progressed we live in smaller more isolated groups and having one sexual partner is more beneficial for raising a children. Having two parents per newborn is beneficial for migrating species with (was) many predators.

Not being polygamous is good for our gene pool and limits the amount of common ancestors within a group. Which reduces genetic defects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Single and not looking for anyone
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by clumsyorange)
I suspect that OP meant in terms of natural instinct. Either that or they believe in a God that designed humans for orgies.
yes in terms of natural instinct

1. not at all religious
abc_123_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
Our closest ancestors are - why aren't we?
We're more evolved than our closest ancestors, therefore our ideas about intercourse have become more evolved, which is why we aren't polygamous x
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by abc_123_)
We're more evolved than our closest ancestors, therefore our ideas about intercourse have become more evolved, which is why we aren't polygamous x
well we're equally evolved but we've evolved differently

a slug is just as evolved as us
tonedown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're talking about instinct, I suppose it depends on the person. Some people cheat, some don't.
abc_123_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
well we're equally evolved but we've evolved differently

a slug is just as evolved as us
Okay then, we've evolved differently to apes, but we're evolved to be monogamous (as have other animals such as wolves and owls) x
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by abc_123_)
Okay then, we've evolved differently to apes, but we're evolved to be monogamous (as have other animals such as wolves and owls) x
how can we be sure? how can we prove it isn't cultural? there are tribes that practice polygamy x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads