The Student Room Group

Graphics Calculator

Hey

Just wondering if the fx-9860GII Casio calculator is allowed in the C2 OCR maths exam?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Instructions for Conducting Examinations 2016-2017 ...
Information for candidates For written examinations - effective from 1 September 2016

Calculators must be:
o of a size suitable for use on the desk;
o either battery or solar powered;
o free of lids, cases and covers which have printed instructions or formulas.

The candidate is responsible for the following:
o the calculator’s power supply;
o the calculator’s working condition;
o clearing anything stored in the calculator.

Calculators must not:
β€’ be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities: -
o language translators;
o symbolic algebra manipulation;
o symbolic differentiation or integration;
o communication with other machines or the internet;
β€’ be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason;
β€’ have retrievable information stored in them - this includes:
o databanks;
o dictionaries;
o mathematical formulas;
o text.

... Hope that helps it applies to ALL exams for ( AQA City & Guilds CCEA OCR Pearson WJEC )
Original post by musicangel
Hey

Just wondering if the fx-9860GII Casio calculator is allowed in the C2 OCR maths exam?

Thanks!

Check with the exam board. Funnily enough there are a number of people who have claimed to have used it for A level on Amazon reviews. Imo it should not be used as it has the ability to store data. Also wouldnt surprise me if it stores symbolic data and mathematical formulae.

Checking costs you a phonecall. Breaking the rules costs you your exam (s).
Yeah, it's ok. It's the one I've got with the snazzy back light.
I don't really understand why you are allowed to use graphical calculators tbh it just makes A-level maths pay to win
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Check with the exam board. Funnily enough there are a number of people who have claimed to have used it for A level on Amazon reviews. Imo it should not be used as it has the ability to store data. Also wouldnt surprise me if it stores symbolic data and mathematical formulae.

Checking costs you a phonecall. Breaking the rules costs you your exam (s).

Original post by vicvic38
Yeah, it's ok. It's the one I've got with the snazzy back light.

Thank you both so much - I really appreciate it!
Thank you both so much - I really appreciate it!

You do realise my advice is contrary to the vicvic poster?
Reply 7
Original post by pete_comp
Instructions for Conducting Examinations 2016-2017 ...
Information for candidates For written examinations - effective from 1 September 2016

Calculators must be:
o of a size suitable for use on the desk;
o either battery or solar powered;
o free of lids, cases and covers which have printed instructions or formulas.

The candidate is responsible for the following:
o the calculator’s power supply;
o the calculator’s working condition;
o clearing anything stored in the calculator.

Calculators must not:
β€’ be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities: -
o language translators;
o symbolic algebra manipulation;
o symbolic differentiation or integration;
o communication with other machines or the internet;
β€’ be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason;
β€’ have retrievable information stored in them - this includes:
o databanks;
o dictionaries;
o mathematical formulas;
o text.

... Hope that helps it applies to ALL exams for ( AQA City & Guilds CCEA OCR Pearson WJEC )

Thank you! Just wondering if you knew what symbolic integration is? Does that include working out using actual numbers ?
Reply 8

Yes - I was going to check with them but am probably going to stick with my normal one. Thank you for your advice!
Yes - I was going to check with them but am probably going to stick with my normal one. Thank you for your advice!

the version I looked at has an sd card slot. If so that by itself makes it illegal as it would be designed to store data.

You shouldnt really be allowed a Β£100 calculator with extra features, because plenty will not have that, so a person would be buying their way in. As im more or less sure it isnt allowed, then I suspect some invigilators dont know or check.
Symbolic integration is when the calculator returns an algebraic expressions. For example, if a calculator returned 2x when you ask for the derivative of xΒ², the calculator would not be allowed. If however the calculator allow you to work out the gradient at some point such as the gradient of xΒ² when x is 2 it would return a number, 4. This kind of calculator is allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by STEMasterRace
Symbolic integration is when the calculator returns an algebraic expressions. For example, if a calculator returned 2x when you ask for the derivative of xΒ², the calculator would not be allowed. If however the calculator allow you to work out the gradient at some point such as the gradient of xΒ² when x is 2 it would return a number, 4. This kind of calculator is allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great - thank you!
the version I looked at has an sd card slot. If so that by itself makes it illegal as it would be designed to store data.

You shouldnt really be allowed a Β£100 calculator with extra features, because plenty will not have that, so a person would be buying their way in. As im more or less sure it isnt allowed, then I suspect some invigilators dont know or check.

Mine doesn't have an SD card slot but I hardly know how to use it so probably won't bother with it. Thanks for your help
Reply 13

NOT TRUE

A lot of people don't fully understand the rules for some reason and I believe the complication is not knowing the exact definition of symbolic.

Symbolic computation emphasizes exact computation with expressions containing variables that have no given value and are manipulated as symbols, hence the name symbolic computation.

However, most Graphical Calculators such as the Casio 9860gii can only perform numerical computations. Another thing which is commonly misinterpreted is the having retrievable information stored in them part. This does not imply that you can't use a calculator which can do this, it implies that you cannot walk into a exam without having erased the retrievable data. Hence, why some invigilators will ask that you erase the memory on your calculator .
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14

You received incorrect advice
Yep - I have the same one :h:
Original post by Psst.
NOT TRUE

A lot of people don't fully understand the rules for some reason and I believe the complication is not knowing the exact definition of symbolic.

Symbolic computation emphasizes exact computation with expressions containing variables that have no given value and are manipulated as symbols, hence the name symbolic computation.

However, most Graphical Calculators such as the Casio 9860gii can only perform numerical computations. Another thing which is commonly misinterpreted is the having retrievable information stored in them part. This does not imply that you can't use a calculator which can do this, it implies that you cannot walk into a exam without having erased the retrievable data. Hence, why some invigilators will ask that you erase the memory on your calculator .

Brilliant - thank you so much! Really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by surina16
Yep - I have the same one :h:

Great, thanks!
Reply 18

It's absolutely fine.

It wouldn't be fine, though, if there was data stored in it.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's absolutely fine.

It wouldn't be fine, though, if there was data stored in it.

Then how is it not designed to have data stored on it if it has an SD slot?

Quick Reply