The Student Room Group

Graphics Calculator

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Psst.
NOT TRUE

A lot of people don't fully understand the rules for some reason and I believe the complication is not knowing the exact definition of symbolic.

Symbolic computation emphasizes exact computation with expressions containing variables that have no given value and are manipulated as symbols, hence the name symbolic computation.

However, most Graphical Calculators such as the Casio 9860gii can only perform numerical computations. Another thing which is commonly misinterpreted is the having retrievable information stored in them part. This does not imply that you can't use a calculator which can do this, it implies that you cannot walk into a exam without having erased the retrievable data. Hence, why some invigilators will ask that you erase the memory on your calculator .

I would check with the exam board tbh.. The question is designed to have data stored on it, which I would interpret as offering that function , which imo an SD card slot does (The Op states theirs does not, so it becomes moot). Whether or not it has I would say doesnt matter. It shouldnt be invigilators to have to check and wipe memory, that feature ought not to be there. Clearly you are stating differently, but it would be nice to see confirmation from a creditable source that your interpretation is correct . The chap/ teacher who actually oversees these things for JCQ is a TSR poster, is that you?
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
I would check with the exam board tbh.. The question is designed to have data stored on it, which I would interpret as offering that function , which imo an SD card slot does (The Op states theirs does not, so it becomes moot). Whether or not it has I would say doesnt matter. It shouldnt be invigilators to have to check and wipe memory, that feature ought not to be there. Clearly you are stating differently, but it would be nice to see confirmation from a creditable source that your interpretation is correct . The chap/ teacher who actually oversees these things for JCQ is a TSR poster, is that you?

In an attempt to make sense of what you've written...

Yes, I'd advise everyone to get in contact with their Exam board or JCQ. JCQ is an acronym for 'Joint Council for Qualifications', therefore rules laid out by JCQ must be followed by all exam boards. I've done my own research and spoken to the correct people; hence why I'm certain about the rules.

@tiny hobbit is an exams officer who will hopefully post here soon
Reply 22
Good to read - http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/mathematics.updates.html?article=/content/demo/en/news-policy/subject-updates/mathematics/use-of-calculators-in-the-summer-2016-exam-series&pageTypes=

It says the following

Which calculators can be used?

Note that the regulations above say that: "calculators should not have retrievable information in them - this includes… mathematical formulas and text." Thus many models will need to have their memory cleared before they can be taken into the examination. In the case of the Texas TI-84, for example, there's a built-in press-to-test feature designed specifically for this purpose. If you or another teacher enable the feature before the exam, the student won't be able to disable it without connecting to a second handheld, or computer.
Original post by Psst.

Yes, I'd advise everyone to get in contact with their Exam board or JCQ. JCQ is an acronym for 'Joint Council for Qualifications', therefore rules laid out by JCQ must be followed by all exam boards. I've done my own research and spoken to the correct people; hence why I'm certain about the rules.

There was nothing wrong in what I wrote. I suggested to contact the exam board who are the people who can confirm that model is permitted. Simple and conclusive.

My interpretation was around the SD slot (which proved to be moot for the OP), but its odd the invigilator bans other devices that can store data, but calculators capable of storing data are allowed as long as checked. That seems to be hassle for invigilators.

I merely asked for a link to see the source/rule you were basing your reasoning on. I'm fine with accepting your interpretation is correct I just like to see where its come from.
Reply 24
There was nothing wrong in what I wrote. I suggested to contact the exam board who are the people who can confirm that model is permitted. Simple and conclusive.

My interpretation was around the SD slot (which proved to be moot for the OP), but its odd the invigilator bans other devices that can store data, but calculators capable of storing data are allowed as long as checked. That seems to be hassle for invigilators.

I merely asked for a link to see the source/rule you were basing your reasoning on. I'm fine with accepting your interpretation is correct I just like to see where its come from.

Read the link above, then reread.
Original post by Psst.
Read the link above, then reread.

Ah ok thnaks.
Reply 26
Then how is it not designed to have data stored on it if it has an SD slot?

It's a useful feature that isn't allowed to be used to store data for exams.

The rules are very clear on this.

Also this presentation on TES (requires free registration to download):
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/useful-exam-calculator-guide-edexcel-6026598

...includes this slide.
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury

@Muttley79 or @Compost will confirm :smile:

Also this presentation (requires free registration to download):
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/useful-exam-calculator-guide-edexcel-6026598

...includes this slide.
Attachment not found

Thanks cant rep you again, had accepted above and the slideshow is spot on. Am impressed by your dedication.. No need for Compost and Muttley.
Reply 28
Thanks cant rep you again, had accepted above and the slideshow is spot on. Am impressed by your dedication.. No need for Compost and Muttley.

Ok, I've removed my tag for them.

My sons had the same calculator hence my interest :smile:

They can't use for their university exans though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by musicangel
Hey

Just wondering if the fx-9860GII Casio calculator is allowed in the C2 OCR maths exam?

Thanks!

It's fine - Edexcel issue a list of banned calculators and its not on that. Having a slot for an SD card does not mean it is illegal. The slot should be empty and the memory cleared.
Original post by Muttley79
It's fine - Edexcel issue a list of banned calculators and its not on that. Having a slot for an SD card does not mean it is illegal. The slot should be empty and the memory cleared.

Original post by Doonesbury

Also this presentation on TES (requires free registration to download):

...includes this slide.
Attachment not found

Original post by Psst.
Good to read - http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/mathematics.updates.html?article=/content/demo/en/news-policy/subject-updates/mathematics/use-of-calculators-in-the-summer-2016-exam-series&pageTypes=

It says the following

Which calculators can be used?

Note that the regulations above say that: "calculators should not have retrievable information in them - this includes… mathematical formulas and text." Thus many models will need to have their memory cleared before they can be taken into the examination. In the case of the Texas TI-84, for example, there's a built-in press-to-test feature designed specifically for this purpose. If you or another teacher enable the feature before the exam, the student won't be able to disable it without connecting to a second handheld, or computer.

Original post by Psst.

Thank you all so much - really appreciate all of the help and advice. Just wanted to let you know that my calculator does not have an SD card slot and only has a slot which you can plug a wire/plug into.
Original post by musicangel
Thank you all so much - really appreciate all of the help and advice. Just wanted to let you know that my calculator does not have an SD card slot and only has a slot which you can plug a wire/plug into.

Hope the exam goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest