The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Never seen that.

Certain people like to think that there are no images. I however do not believe that. I believe that the Trimurti (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimurti) is the source of the 3 main gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

Ahh okay, thank you for clearing that :smile:
Indian AND Hindu???!!

That isn't very common.
What do you think of filthy goray who don't use their bodnas?
Reply 23
What is love?
Reply 24
How many toilets in your house?
Do you believe in the Hindu caste system? Would you agree that it promotes an extreme form of racism?
Original post by Unnamed User
Is it true that in Hinduism, god has no form?

The answer to that is complicated because of the many differing beliefs in Hinduism, but generally have a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Brahman

"which is beyond all descriptions and conceptualisations". Some people believe that the truest God can not be understood (by us), so God takes different forms (see below for the Trio of Gods)

before asking questions regarding god, lemme say one thing.

In Hinduism, there are 3 main gods: Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva. (AKA the trio)

Many Hindus however assert to this and do not follow in this way. They believe in other gods such as Ganesh, Krishna, etc. However these were more of kings rather than actual Gods. I.e like Kings of Olympus (zeus, Neptune, etc)

In south india, gods like Krishna is seen more important, and towards the north, gods like Ganesh is seen important. But it really scatters a lot cuz people sometimes claim that it's the other way around or etc. From my experience, that's how i've seen it. Generally North Indians are more religious in terms of going to temple, praying etc, but MAINLY they tend to use the religious books ( Vedas, etc)

But when it comes to South Indians, more of them generally devote their life to god (i.e: A priest). But at the same time, people in south india go to temples and but they tend to use those religious books less. For example my Mother is part of the Saurashtra community (derived from Punjab) and she is EXTREMELY religious. However unlike other Hindus, she relies more on fasting and temple, rather than books.

Assert? :tongue: I've never seen it asserted that Ganesh was a King! Maybe the demi-gods like Indra though. I've always thought they were thought of as reincarnations? (Unless that's what you meant)

I'm surprised. I thought the South would use the texts more! I've generally not seen widespread text use, people seem to generally follow the epics more/rely on priests or just follow what parents teach. Not that I blame them, the Vedas etc are very complicated :tongue:

So do you believe in all three Gods equally, or do you believe one is greater than the other? Do you believe in the concept of Para-Brahman?
(edited 6 years ago)
I thought the scripatures of hinduism religion teaches there is one God and one should not make idols, pictures etc to worship God.

Why are they going against the fundamentals of the religion and following the priests and paraying to Idols instead?
Original post by pantagathus
Do you believe in the Hindu caste system? Would you agree that it promotes an extreme form of racism?

The Hindu Caste System was never meant to determine a person's status by birth, but instead, determine it later when they grew up. The pyramid shows that there were less spiritual leaders than there were warriors and so on. However, over time, people have misinterpreted and it has become what it has today
Original post by Unnamed User
Ahh okay, thank you for clearing that :smile:

OK. this final info should clear you up.
In a temple, there is a thing called a Shivalingam. This is like a curve stone placed. You might find this in temples in more south indian than the north. anyway, this stone-like structure is what represents the formless-god which you talked about. It represents Shiva, one of the 3 gods. Alas he is the only god i know from without an image
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
What is love?

Baby don't hurt me

Original post by Jirga
How many toilets in your house?

How many wives u got?

Original post by pantagathus

I believe that the Caste system is extremely irrelevant to our society. It may have served a purpose in previous times, but no longer. It prevents people to live a normal life and segregates states like TN. (Tamil Nadu.) And yes, I strongly agree that it promotes an extreme form of racism. It basically divides people up even more, and you obvs know what this does. It tends to alter politics in certain states and i feel that this is bad.

Original post by Poooky
The answer to that is complicated because of the many differing beliefs in Hinduism, but generally have a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Brahman

"which is beyond all descriptions and conceptualisations". Some people believe that the truest God can not be understood (by us), so God takes different forms (see below for the Trio of Gods)

Assert? :tongue: I've never seen it asserted that Ganesh was a King! Maybe the demi-gods like Indra though. I've always thought they were thought of as reincarnations? (Unless that's what you meant)

I'm surprised. I thought the South would use the texts more! I've generally not seen widespread text use, people seem to generally follow the epics more/rely on priests or just follow what parents teach. Not that I blame them, the Vedas etc are very complicated :tongue:

So do you believe in all three Gods equally, or do you believe one is greater than the other? Do you believe in the concept of Para-Brahman?

I believe in mainly Hanuman. I don't interpret the ways of the three gods. Call me crazy, but that's what i think.

I thought the scripatures of hinduism religion teaches there is one God and one should not make idols, pictures etc to worship God.

Why are they going against the fundamentals of the religion and following the priests and paraying to Idols instead?

Interpretations change overtime. Even if you go to areas like Madurai (place in tn) you find statues of gods and godesses. Ironically these statues were made in ancient times and they present Gods and Godesses in idol form.
OK. this final info should clear you up.
In a temple, there is a thing called a Shivalingam. This is like a curve stone placed. You might find this in temples in more south indian than the north. anyway, this stone-like structure is what represents the formless-god which you talked about. It represents Shiva, one of the 3 gods. Alas he is the only god i know from without an image

Baby don't hurt me

How many wives u got?

I believe that the Caste system is extremely irrelevant to our society. It may have served a purpose in previous times, but no longer. It prevents people to live a normal life and segregates states like TN. (Tamil Nadu.) And yes, I strongly agree that it promotes an extreme form of racism. It basically divides people up even more, and you obvs know what this does. It tends to alter politics in certain states and i feel that this is bad.

I believe in mainly Hanuman. I don't interpret the ways of the three gods. Call me crazy, but that's what i think.

Interpretations change overtime. Even if you go to areas like Madurai (place in tn) you find statues of gods and godesses. Ironically these statues were made in ancient times and they present Gods and Godesses in idol form.

Hardly crazy, most Hindus believe one is the "true" God and all other are different forms (though all equally respected of course :smile:)

Why did you think this? That's more Abrahamic religion than Hinduism
do you worship cows?
Original post by GeneralSharif
do you worship cows?

sorry i don't worship your mom.

Jokes. Don;t EVER THINK THAT WE WORSHIP COWS>
sorry i don't worship your mom.

Jokes. Don;t EVER THINK THAT WE WORSHIP COWS>

lel go back to drinking cow piss, retards.
lel go back to drinking cow piss, retards.

you really are a bright child aren't you?

I can put no opinion on this. Your situation is personal and i'm no one to bulge in.
do you think that lady baba has equal powers as man baba ?

http://www.vashikaranladyastrologer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Banner3-new.gif

this is some ****ed up video. If you believe it, not my fault. It means that at the same time i can watch a video showing terrorists blowing up and assume that all muslims blow themselves up.

You can believe this if you want to. But I can tell you i've never seen an Hindu drink cow piss.
this is some ****ed up video. If you believe it, not my fault. It means that at the same time i can watch a video showing terrorists blowing up and assume that all muslims blow themselves up.

You can believe this if you want to. But I can tell you i've never seen an Hindu drink cow piss.

'In Hinduism, cow urine has a special significance as a drink. Sprinkling of cow urine is said to have a spiritual cleansing effect as well'

no where in Islam does it say to kill innocent people.

Latest

Trending

Trending