The Student Room Group
yes
Reply 2
I love modern life.
Like, I guess? Sometimes I wish for the simplicity of bygone ages, where nothing was permanently recorded (the internet) and there was a life plan. I'd seek out a husband by 25 and have children. Then just busy myself with domesticity.

Then I remember how good it is in the modern world. The internet is dope, and I don't want kids.

I dunno, I think we're just hard wired to be unsatisfied.
Yeah, modern life seems to suck. There's a bunch of articles and videos explaining why lots of people particularly millenials feel this way, a lot of has to do with modern technology and the way people become attached and affected by things like social media.
I like modern life solely for the fact that our society today is much more tolerant and socially free than it was 20 years ago.
One thing I definitely hate about modern life is social media. I mean, is it really about connecting people and keeping in touch, or is it really just about people showing off and trying to make out that their life is much better than it really is? For example, I'm in my mid-twenties, and I've deactivated my Facebook. Every now and again I'll reactivate it, and it's full of people roughly my age posting stuff like: this is my new house, new car, off on holiday, new job, promotion at work, girls all dolled up for a night out, etc. It's like the modern day equivalent of keeping up with the Joneses, where people somehow feel as if they're supposed to constantly show off some sort of high achieving/high attainment lifestyle, and create some sort of fake self image so that everyone thinks that their life is constantly amazing. I understand that not everyone is like this, but It's as if a lot of people constantly try and convince others that they are leading some sort of celebrity lifestyle.

Anyway, rant over, but that's just something that I genuinely hate about modern life, and which I think genuinely does a lot of harm to a lot of people. The amount of harm it does to people's mental health also doesn't really get discussed very often, which I just don't think is right.
Reply 7
I like Modern Family
Original post by Blue_Storm
Yeah, modern life seems to suck. There's a bunch of articles and videos explaining why lots of people particularly millenials feel this way, a lot of has to do with modern technology and the way people become attached and affected by things like social media.

Original post by Leavemyarcelona
One thing I definitely hate about modern life is social media. I mean, is it really about connecting people and keeping in touch, or is it really just about people showing off and trying to make out that their life is much better than it really is? For example, I'm in my mid-twenties, and I've deactivated my Facebook. Every now and again I'll reactivate it, and it's full of people roughly my age posting stuff like: this is my new house, new car, off on holiday, new job, promotion at work, girls all dolled up for a night out, etc. It's like the modern day equivalent of keeping up with the Joneses, where people somehow feel as if they're supposed to constantly show off some sort of high achieving/high attainment lifestyle, and create some sort of fake self image so that everyone thinks that their life is constantly amazing. I understand that not everyone is like this, but It's as if a lot of people constantly try and convince others that they are leading some sort of celebrity lifestyle.

Anyway, rant over, but that's just something that I genuinely hate about modern life, and which I think genuinely does a lot of harm to a lot of people. The amount of harm it does to people's mental health also doesn't really get discussed very often, which I just don't think is right.

Can't stand social media.
It's good but people are turning too animalistic. Letting their desires enslave them. Many people looking at pigs and monkeys for moral advice.
I agree with you. I hate modern life and the way that people are so fixed up by the need to be on social media. This is why I am quitting my Facebook.
Consumerism really bugs me, as does the nonchalant attitude to issues such as climate change.
I agree.
can confirm. I agree
Thread is 7 months old so this is now locked.

Latest

Trending

Trending