The Student Room Group

Would the Green Party have more media coverage if...

Is the real reason why the Green Party of England and Wales is often shunned by the media and not portrayed as a main party whilst UKIP is because it is not a national party due to it not operating in Scotland? A high proportion of media coverage for the SNP, Plaid, and the Northern Ireland Parties are in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland respectively as these parties are of far less relevance to residents outside of the countries they operate in. However, the media and the establishment cannot seem to come to terms with a party which operates only in England or England and Wales.

Therefore if the Green Party of England and Wales combined with the Green Party of Scotland then would it be handled by the media as a main party like Labour, Conservative, Lib-Dem, and UKIP are, so will end up receiving more media coverage?
It's polling percentages
Reply 2
Greens in Scotland are puny, ridiculous excuse for a party in Scotland. They are SNP 2.0. In fact, they are only standing in three of the 59 possible seats...

Obviously worried that the SNP are going to lose seats to the tories. Also, stop calling them green - they support independence meaning they have to support drilling for oil.
Reply 3
Original post by niteninja1
It's polling percentages

Where is the line drawn with polling percentage between what is and isn't a main party? The Greens beat the Lib-Dems in the 2014 Euro elections. I make an intelligent guess that if the Greens beat the Lib-Dems in a general election in terms of the popular vote then they still will not be considered a main party by the media but the Lib-Dems will.

Imagine a televised debate between the leaders the the Conservatives, Labour, Lib-Dems, UKIP, and the Green Party of England and Wales. How will viewers in Scotland perceive this if there is a leader of a party that they cannot vote for and the leader of their equivalent is not present? I'm under the impression that the media sees the Green Party of England and Wales in a national debate as relevant to the people of Stirling as the SNP are to the people of Surrey or Plaid are to the people of Yorkshire.
UKIP have languished for years. It is only when Farage with his beer swilling, fag waving, unrepentant mouthing off at immigrants came to the fore that it gained traction simply because it made such good copy with the media. It also started to resonate with people's fears and prejudices.
Reply 5
The Greens just aren't as controversial. They've had SNP representatives on TV in England before, so I doubt that's the full reason. I expect that they're just not as good at creating controversies as UKIP.
Reply 6
Original post by sek510i
The Greens just aren't as controversial.

I think the Greens are more controversial than UKIP. Nigel Farage was responsible for making UKIP politically incorrect.

Some people accuse the Greens as being boring but they are more interesting than the Lib-Dems that are as dull as ditchwater. What was once the radicals in politics is now anything but radical.
The reason that the Greens aren't a major party isn't because they aren't national, it's because they poll to weakly and do not perform well in elections. See Ofcom consultation on major party status for 2015: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2015/major-parties-consultation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending