The Student Room Group

Is this wrong?

Hi all, I've got a little bit of an anxiety problem which I've been trying to address. I've spent most of my college/uni years focusing on coursework, have a reliable set of friends and feel like I've got people I can rely on.

I've recently started going out to clubs, when the group splits off I'm often left alone or having to third wheel which has ruined my night a few times. I've used some the time to dance a little but I'm too nervous to put in 100% and try to pull for the night. I've never done anything like it before. Although I generally enjoy the night, I feel a bit empty. Is this normal?

If it helps my social situation is stable and consistent, bit on the conservative side because I don't have much to say rather than being shy.
I don't think how you feel is unusual at all. I have never really enjoyed going to clubs. They can be fun but also it can just get awkward. I don't pull guys or allow them to pull me.... not my style. That said you can leave a club feeling deflated cuz guys go for your friends and yet, I wouldn't want to go for me unless they wanted to properly get to know me and I know that isn't the way it usually works. So I have to say I understand exactly what you're saying....plus sometimes when you have that stable and consistent friend group there a certainly positives that you a good, reliable friend group.... however there isn't really new blood coming in for dating purposes. But, eventually you will meet different people and don't need to rely on those guys at clubs. That said I have a good friend who met her husband at a bar but they didn't hook-up. Good Luck!
No clubs are awkward especially if all your mates are just there to find someone to sleep with. And its so easy to become the third wheel.

Quick Reply