The Student Room Group

Labour's Tuition Fee Promise: What about Open University?

I've been quite excited about Labour's left wing manifesto. There are a few things to disagree with but it's probably the closest manifesto I can relate to
My sister has just started looking at parties and has been wanting to a do a course for some time but having a full time job and bills to pay can't go to university full time and looked at the open university but the cost is quite steep with no government help available to her
I was just looking through labour's manifesto but couldn't find anything specific about the open university. Anybody else know if a party is going to help those trying to get a degree on their own while working?
Probably not. Remember that Uni's like Oxford and Leicester are public universities, so the Government sets their tuition fees. As far as I know Open Universities are privately funded and therefore can't really be influenced directly by the Government.
Original post by Potterfangirl
I've been quite excited about Labour's left wing manifesto. There are a few things to disagree with but it's probably the closest manifesto I can relate to
My sister has just started looking at parties and has been wanting to a do a course for some time but having a full time job and bills to pay can't go to university full time and looked at the open university but the cost is quite steep with no government help available to her
I was just looking through labour's manifesto but couldn't find anything specific about the open university. Anybody else know if a party is going to help those trying to get a degree on their own while working?

I agree but problem with open university is they need to offer a lot more courses to be competitive such as architecture, medicine, dentistry etc. I know the last two have practical components but with modern computer modelling, loaning of practical equpiment etc pretty much most of those degrees can be done at home.
Original post by Potterfangirl

I disagree with the other two. If the funding is via SFE then I dont see why they would make a distinction between OU and a normal Uni. It is still a student loan and to that end it looks as though they are promising no fees from 2017, although the legislation wouldn't be enacted till 2018. They suggest the money borrowed would just be written off.

SFE is by far the most popular method for financing OU degrees.

The details are light, hence it not being in the manifesto, but this was the latest story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39994886

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending