NigelK98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was taught that "loss in K.E=Gain in G.P.E" but then i did an m2 paper and it turns out i was supposed to use "loss in K.E=Gain in G.P.E+WORK DONE AGAINST FRICTION" so which one is right??

Thanks in advance
C_HENRY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Always use WD against friction = losses - gains
e.g say a particle goes up a plane: KE is lost and gpe is gained
ManLike007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Energy loss = work done against resistance/friction etc.

So if a particle travelled up on a rough slope then it gains GPE but it loses KE.
Therefore, (KE loss) - (GPE gain) = (work done against friction) [because I mentioned the slope was rough and resistance is negligible in this example]. So when you rearrange, (KE loss) = (GPE gain) + (work done against friction).

Remember, the total energy loss is [loss - gain] i.e. (KE loss) - (GPE gain) = (WD against....) or (PE loss) - (KE gain) = WD against....

However, if you're given a situation where a skier for example losses velocity and height so you have both KE and GPE loss then (KE loss + GPE gain) = WD against....

When you assume, KE loss = GPE gain then you're assuming there are no external forces acting on the particle such as friction or resistance.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NigelK98)
I was taught that "loss in K.E=Gain in G.P.E" but then i did an m2 paper and it turns out i was supposed to use "loss in K.E=Gain in G.P.E+WORK DONE AGAINST FRICTION" so which one is right??
Kinetic energy only changes if a force or forces act on the body. GPE is just a way of calculating the work done against / by gravity, but it's no different from any other force - you could say the work done against forces, for the general case.

The right equation is therefore: Loss in KE = work done against all forces (with the correct signs for the conventions)

When it's gravity, you may think of it as GPE, but it's still just force (mg) times distance in the direction of the force (h).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise