What would happen If I failed 2 A Levels and Passed 1?

Watch
Jackson_doplan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If I got an A in maths and got U in Bio and Chemistry would I be ****ed for Uni or whatever else I would want to do? Maybe I could go into an apprenticeship or would 1 A level not be good enough?
Raizelcadres
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jackson_doplan)
If I got an A in maths and got U in Bio and Chemistry would I be ****ed for Uni or whatever else I would want to do? Maybe I could go into an apprenticeship or would 1 A level not be good enough?
for AS or a level?
Sakisaka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Uni would be difficult, however your college might allow you to repeat subjects for another year allowing you to finish with 3
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raizelcadres)
for AS or a level?
All my courses are A Levels so the A would be average after 6 exams and then if I failed Bio and Chem A level not AS
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sakisaka)
Uni would be difficult, however your college might allow you to repeat subjects for another year allowing you to finish with 3
Do you believe it is worth spending 2 more years to retake the entire A level?
Raizelcadres
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All my courses are A Levels so the A would be average after 6 exams and then if I failed Bio and Chem A level not AS
Don't worry you can just retake them, next year just focus on bio and chem. Just apply to uni next year, if you don't get any offers just go into clearing as theres plenty of good unis that go into clearing each year.
Sakisaka
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you believe it is worth spending 2 more years to retake the entire A level?
Different for each person, and you would need to discuss whether your college would want you for an extra 2 years. Are you in year 13 now? If so what grade did you get last year? Its unlikely to get a U if you didn't get one in AS as it would count as 50% of your overall grade.

In my case, I failed my first year and then repeated year 12, so it's only an extra year more, so it's a bit different than repeating a whole 2 years.
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
Different for each person, and you would need to discuss whether your college would want you for an extra 2 years. Are you in year 13 now? If so what grade did you get last year? Its unlikely to get a U if you didn't get one in AS as it would count as 50% of your overall grade.

In my case, I failed my first year and then repeated year 12, so it's only an extra year more, so it's a bit different than repeating a whole 2 years.
No I am just speculating, still in year 12 but Bio and Chem are not going well for me but I am doing quite well at maths so just wondering the worst case scenario
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
Don't worry you can just retake them, next year just focus on bio and chem. Just apply to uni next year, if you don't get any offers just go into clearing as theres plenty of good unis that go into clearing each year.
Could you explain to me what is clearing?
Raizelcadres
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could you explain to me what is clearing?
Wait, are you doing the new a level or the old spec?
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
Wait, are you doing the new a level or the old spec?
Think im doing the new one, the only AS I'm doing this year are maths, whereas I have all my other exams at the end of the second year
Raizelcadres
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think im doing the new one, the only AS I'm doing this year are maths, whereas I have all my other exams at the end of the second year
Ohh okay. Your first year grades don't count for the new a level but gives the universities an idea of how well you will perform in your second year. So you don't need to resit unless your school doesn't allow you to go to second year.

Clearing is where universities have free spaces on their courses and need to fill them up, you will have information on which universities are going into clearing in july or august, on results day people that didn't get into any uni call these unis that are in clearing and give them their UCAS ID where they will see your application and make a decision.
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
Ohh okay. Your first year grades don't count for the new a level but gives the universities an idea of how well you will perform in your second year. So you don't need to resit unless your school doesn't allow you to go to second year.

Clearing is where universities have free spaces on their courses and need to fill them up, you will have information on which universities are going into clearing in july or august, on results day people that didn't get into any uni call these unis that are in clearing and give them their UCAS ID where they will see your application and make a decision.
Okay thanks.
Sakisaka
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No I am just speculating, still in year 12 but Bio and Chem are not going well for me but I am doing quite well at maths so just wondering the worst case scenario

Everyone gave good advice, but since you are in year 12 at the end of this year if you really feel like you don't wanna carry on with those subjects changing them then would be a good opportunity. Yeah you will have to be in college for an extra year but you will be happier and end up with better results.
Jackson_doplan
Rep:
?
Everyone gave good advice, but since you are in year 12 at the end of this year if you really feel like you don't wanna carry on with those subjects changing them then would be a good opportunity. Yeah you will have to be in college for an extra year but you will be happier and end up with better results.
Yes I will give it some thought, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed