Araishu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, this year I was considering accepting an unconditional offer from Nottingham Trent University for Biological Sciences, but have also been considering whether or not attending my local university Sheffield Hallam would make a difference to future prospects or anything like that.

Trent seems to be better in terms of league tables and a bit better in research quality for biology but there doesn't seem to be much difference overall. I think I may prefer to be closer to home while I am at university, so Hallam appeals to me but I have heard a lot of bad things.

Is there much difference between prospects between these ex-polys or does the difference only really matter between Russel group/red brick unis and ex-polys?

Cheers
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Araishu)
It doesn't really matter either way as the Russell group is to do with research excellence which doesn't affect undergrads anyway. The league tables don't make much difference either. What you want to think about is what the course content is, how it will be taught, how much flexibility there is, what links there are with industry and what research or work opportunities are available.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What is it you want to do after graduation?
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't feel the difference is going to be huge, I go to Hallam, don't really know people doing Bio at Trent but I know people at Russel Groups and obviously there's a bit of a gap between everywhere but only my Oxbridge friends appear to be doing anything that is by-far better. So I doubt the difference between Trent and Hallam or Demontford or w/e are that big.
username3162850
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Araishu)
Hi, this year I was considering accepting an unconditional offer from Nottingham Trent University for Biological Sciences, but have also been considering whether or not attending my local university Sheffield Hallam would make a difference to future prospects or anything like that.

Trent seems to be better in terms of league tables and a bit better in research quality for biology but there doesn't seem to be much difference overall. I think I may prefer to be closer to home while I am at university, so Hallam appeals to me but I have heard a lot of bad things.

Is there much difference between prospects between these ex-polys or does the difference only really matter between Russel group/red brick unis and ex-polys?

Cheers
Hey

As a current student at Sheffield Hallam, I'd say that there is very little difference between Trent and Hallam in terms of future prospects - so you should go with your gut on this one. I attended Open days for both the Uni of Sheffield (Russell Group) and Hallam - and I felt much more comfortable at the latter. Hallam has a brilliant support system and prides it self upon its employment rates after graduation, so you could be sure to receive a lot of help with gaining experience, placements, application processes etc. I am unsure why the stigma around 'ex-poly' Universities still exists, as your course, experience and degree classification should be the main things that prospective employers are looking for. Personally, I wouldn't choose a University purely because it is higher up in the league tables - I'd go for one which suits my needs and interests!

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.52%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (308)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed