The Student Room Group

US university from UK

Hi everyone,
I am currently in 5th From (GCSE year) and I am relatively young for my year(I turn 16 in July). I am planning on going to University in the US (West Coast) and my parents have suggested that instead of going straight to uni after my U6 year I retake the year at Cate School in California. This is not because my grades are not good enough but because if I did a school year in America I might have better chances of scoring a higher SAT score because the SAT is much more important and well tought in the states then in the UK. Am i considered young for my year in the states? Would it be an advantage when applying to unis if I did the year at Cate before going into my first year at uni?
I don't think you have an age gap compared to most US high school students atm.

What I do think will be an issue is you transferring school systems in your penultimate year. US and UK curricula are very, very different, not to mention that the average US HS junior/senior will be taking 6+ courses per term. Anecdotally, I have friends and family who transferred from UK to US school systems before and after U6, and struggled.
Hi @lily_marriott , I’m a student from London who was accepted to Harvard and Stanford last year. I saw this thread and thought that this video might help some of you with evaluating whether to spend a year at Cate School in order to improve your SAT score! It’s a Spoken Word Video on the admissions process and I made it because I know that I would have benefitted from hearing its ideas and message when I was in your place. Here is the link to the Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-tOyBsFgE&t=38s). Please comment on the video if it helped you and share it with anyone who is also thinking of applying! I'm also happy to answer any further questions on this thread, so just let me know
As an American I can say that if you move to the states you will not learn anything about the SAT, schools here dont actively teach students how to crack it. Your best bet is to just get an SAT study book with practice problems (I prefer Princeton Review) and that will give you an idea of the content and questions on the test. Khan Academy has a contract with College Board ( the company that monopolizes American standardized testing) and the teach you about all the problems to expect on the SAT and how to go about them and save time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending