The Student Room Group

An inspector calls

There's not enough quotes to analyse in depth with techniques

Like what can I write for these
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1495553026.909496.jpg
Reply 1
You can talk about the Inspector's name for the Supernatural theme. If you haven't already looked at it in class, Inspector Goole sounds like Spectre Ghoul, both of which are supernatural beings. On terms of the gender roles, you could say that Mr Birling is using patriarchal society as an excuse for justifying an affair, suggesting he too has also engaged in an affair too. At one point, he says something along the lines of "All men do it," which further reinforces that point.
Supernatural is a theme for An Inspector Calls? I thought we only needed to know age , gender , class and social responsibility?
Reply 3
For gender you could talk about Sheila's excitement when she receives the ring from Gerald and that the Inspector's message makes her take responsibility of her own actions and become more independent- thus, she is able to return the ring. This would relate to the audience as they would have just experience WW2 and women would be more empowered.

Also, there's the fact that the primary labourers in the play are women- as can be seen through Edna as the meek maid and Eva as the factory worker. However, the only time that a woman is able to become anywhere near equal to a man is when she is rich and upper class- as can be seen through Mrs Birling.

On the other hand, for the supernatural, just think about "Inspector Goole." The name "Goole" may refer to a "ghost."

I'm sorry I didn't have any quotes but, I hope that helped.

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest