The Student Room Group

C2 binomial expansion question

Hey guys this is a binomial expansion question I'm having trouble understanding the method , any help would be greatly appreciated 😎 " Find the coefficient of x^11 in the binomial expansion of (9/2x - 2x^2/3)^13
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hardy jacks
Hey guys this is a binomial expansion question I'm having trouble understanding the method , any help would be greatly appreciated 😎 " Find the coefficient of x^11 in the binomial expansion of (9/2x - 2x^2/3)^13

maybe u can help..
Hey guys this is a binomial expansion question I'm having trouble understanding the method , any help would be greatly appreciated " Find the coefficient of x^11 in the binomial expansion of (9/2x - 2x^2/3)^13

Clearly you want x11x^{11}

So in the expansion, there is a term whereby, as far only the x terms are concerned, (1x)something(x2)13something=x11(\frac{1}{x})^{\text{something}}\cdot (x^2)^{13-\text{something}}=x^{11}

So if I say that the "something" exponent is aa then a+262a=11-a+26-2a=11

This leaves a=5a=5
It's difficult to explain, but basically you have to find two values which add to make 13 that can be the powers of both 92x\frac{9}{2x} and 2x23-\frac{2x^2}{3}, such that you would get (x2)axb=x11\frac{(x^2)^a}{x^b}=x^{11}.

In this case, a=8,b=5a=8, b=5
its hard to explain
try to work out what power u need to raise the a and b in (a+b)^13
when its (1/x -x^2)^13
then sub 9/2x for 1/x
and 2x^2/3 for b
you want to work out when the powers of x cancel out to make 11 basically
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
Clearly you want x11x^{11}

So in the expansion, there is a term whereby, as far only the x terms are concerned, (1x)something(x2)13something=x11(\frac{1}{x})^{\text{something}}\cdot (x^2)^{13-\text{something}}=x^{11}

So if I say that the "something" exponent is aa then a+262a=11-a+26-2a=11

This leaves a=5a=5

Thank you so much , this makes perfect sense how do you get 8? 😊
Thank you so much , this makes perfect sense how do you get 8? 😊

That's the 13-a
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
That's the 13-a

Of course! Thank you for the last minute help

Quick Reply

Latest