C2 - Solomon Papers or IYGB Papers

Watch this thread
HumzaAhmed
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There is limited time left, what set of papers should I focus on for C2? The real past papers are not challenging enough and tests are getting harder each year. Is doing the Solomon Papers as well as all the real papers enough to get an A* on AS modules? I don't want to be too discouraged by doing IYGB papers a day before the exam but at the same time I'd like to do slightly harder questions. Also, are the Solomon Papers in order of difficulty?
DPLSK
Badges: 14
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HumzaAhmed)
There is limited time left, what set of papers should I focus on for C2? The real past papers are not challenging enough and tests are getting harder each year. Is doing the Solomon Papers as well as all the real papers enough to get an A* on AS modules? I don't want to be too discouraged by doing IYGB papers a day before the exam but at the same time I'd like to do slightly harder questions. Also, are the Solomon Papers in order of difficulty?
If I remember correctly, the Solomon papers are far more difficult than the actual exam. I never did any whilst doing my revision, as I felt it made life more difficult. That said, I took C2 over half a decade ago, so things would have been easier back then, as they made the tests harder to prevent grade inflation.

I'd say that if you've done at least 6 past papers and are scoring more than 80% on more than half of them, then you're in pretty good shape. In this situation, I'd review what areas you struggled on most, and focus your revision there.

If you're not doing it already, you should be timing your past papers to see where you're spending most of your time when answering questions. You want to decrease your time answering questions from across the syllabus, as this will increase your overall mark.

I'd also download the headspace app and practice some meditation exercises. Meditating an hour or half an hour before an exam will bring your stress levels down, which allows you to think in a more calm and rational manner. This will lead to fewer mistakes in the exam hall, and increase your overall mark.

Additional advice can be found below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post71599172
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HumzaAhmed)
Hi there,
I would not recommend doing Solomon papers and especally not IYGB papers. They're a billion times more difficult than the actual paper, and though you might think this will make tomorrow's exam easier, it doesn't because you'll never encounter something so difficult thus the skills you pick up won't be useful. As long as your C2 knowledge is sound you should be fine tomorrow. What I would recommend though is to redo official Edexcel papers you performed badly in and perhaps do the Edexcel International papers since they're basically like normal C2 papers. You may also find the attached notes useful...
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads