The Student Room Group

What about Critical Thinking...

What does everyone think about Critical Thinking easy/hard/pointless?

I got AAAA for AS and an A in General Studies Unit 1 (so I might do a whole A Level for GS) I was also offered to do Critical Thinking too just as an extra AS, just wondering if it was worth it.

PS. I also intend to apply to Cambridge to study Economics and heard it was "helpful" as it is quite diverse... any truth in that?

~N~
From what our admissions tutors at 6th form say, it is good for diversity and gives a good indication to whether you're a good "all rounder"

Seemed to work for me, I'm a straight A student and got 236/300 (a B) with 30 hours of lessons in 4 months (only went to about 15 as the lessons are so boring!) It does show natural ability very well :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks, I have had a couple of classes to show me what it was like and I thought it seemed quite interesting, especially as Unit 1 seems pretty easy (all about the multiple choice :smile:)

~N~
Savage Noodles

Seemed to work for me, I'm a straight A student and got 236/300 (a B)

:eek: That's exactly the same as me :eek:

I happen to believe it's the best subject ever - the only interesting one I've ever studied. And I only had 9 hours of studying it, so there :tongue:
Reply 4
Can you do a whole A2 of Critical Thinking or is it just an AS?

~N~
Reply 5
As far as i know, there is only an AS component of the Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking is great. It does give a good indication of how naturally intelligent you are. It is far better than general studies that's for sure!
Reply 7
Critical Thinking is a brilliant AS level to have. It's incredibly interesting, doesn't really require much preparation, and is definitely much more respectable than GS. Take it...it's a great qualification on your UCAS form.

G
I'm taking the exam for it in November!
Reply 9
I took it last year with no teaching and no reading - just for fun. And I got 190/300 - That's a low C/D.

I took it this year after reading one Critical Thinking book and I got 276/300.

I'm over the moon - I definitely recommend it but there are subtle things about arguments that you just have to read up in my opinion. Things like definitions etc will prove to be useful when analysing something.
Reply 10
Adshur...which book did u use for AS Critical Thinking
Reply 11
As far as I know this isn't available at my school but I would like to do it.

What materials would I need to read to be able to sit the exam?
Reply 12
RDoh

You can learn everything from one book. The one i used was Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen. Got me an A as well.

After that it's just practice questions to get used to the multiple choice

G
Reply 13
gzftan
You can learn everything from one book. The one i used was Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen. Got me an A as well.

After that it's just practice questions to get used to the multiple choice

G

That's the one I used. Yeah and then I did the practice questions/past papers which you can find on OCR website.
Reply 14
Adhsur
That's the one I used. Yeah and then I did the practice questions/past papers which you can find on OCR website.

Same..there's also a website which i found with practice multiple choice questions....that was helpful..lemme dig it up for you guys

G
Reply 15
http://www.sirbernardlovell.s-gloucs.sch.uk/home2.htm

In the left toolbar: click post 16, followed by learning resources

Then choose key skills and look to the right of the page

G
Reply 16
RDoh

have a look here if you want an idea:
http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/product?product_id=221&category_id=529
and
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/qualifications/qualificationhome/showQualification.do?qual_oid=2072&site=OCR&oid=2072&server=PRODUKTION

Latest