The Student Room Group

Warwick Msc Economics vs LSE MPA Public and Economic Policy

Hi all,

So I've basically received offered from Warwick for Msc Economics and LSE for MPA Public and Economic Policy. I was wondering to get some suggestions in this regards. I'm interested in public policy and have been working in this area for the past three years. However, I also want to pursue PhD in economics (or public policy), preferably from a prestigious university in the US. Although the quantitatives (maths) in LSE's MPA program is modest, it is not as rigorous as Msc economics. Would an MPA reduce my chances for a phd?
Also, what are my chances of getting into a phd program in the US if I do Msc Economics from Warwick?
Reply 1
Original post by FrshWtrEconomist
Hi all,

So I've basically received offered from Warwick for Msc Economics and LSE for MPA Public and Economic Policy. I was wondering to get some suggestions in this regards. I'm interested in public policy and have been working in this area for the past three years. However, I also want to pursue PhD in economics (or public policy), preferably from a prestigious university in the US. Although the quantitatives (maths) in LSE's MPA program is modest, it is not as rigorous as Msc economics. Would an MPA reduce my chances for a phd?
Also, what are my chances of getting into a phd program in the US if I do Msc Economics from Warwick?

For anything related to PhD programmes in the US, the best forum is the following:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/

If a PhD is really your goal, an MSc in Economics from Warwick would be more valuable due to the mathematical rigour of the programme relative to the MPA from LSE.

I would argue, opt for the LSE if you want to go back into work, but Warwick for a PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending