B1205 - National Anthem for the United Kingdom etc Bill 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
National Anthem for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Bill 2017, TSR Liberal Party
A bill to establish the national anthem of the United Kingdom, and to ensure that the anthem chosen is by popular mandate.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Customary Convention
a) This bill recognises that the national anthem of the United Kingdom: 'God Save our Queen' is a customary convention.
b) There will be a new United Kingdom national anthem enshrined in law; as well as giving a chance to formalise recognised anthems for each constituent part of the United Kingdom
i) These anthems must be democratically confirmed so as to truly represent the views of the people.

2. National Anthem
a) The new National Anthem for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is to be decided by referendum.
b) Separate referenda will be used to confirm anthems for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
c)These referenda will be held at the time of the next general election in order to ensure minimal cost to the taxpayer
i) All members of the electorate eligible to vote in a general election, will be eligible to vote in these referenda.
d) The Royal Family may appoint their own separate Royal Anthem for the following purposes.
i) This must be played at events and occasions when the Queen/King or other monarchical figure is present along with the new selected National Anthem

3. The Contest
a) The returning officer for each election will invite the electorate to submit songs to be the National Anthem/individual nations anthem. These may be songs written by others, or songs sung by the person submitted
i) The Contest for TSRdom shall be run in accordance to the methodologies described in Appendix
b) In order for a nominated song to successfully enter onto the ballot, it must be submitted along with a petition with at least 15,000 valid signatures asking the returning officer to add the song to the ballot
c) The national referendum must offer ‘God Save Our Queen/King’ as an option to vote for.
d) In order to ensure the most viable election, the STV election method shall be used. There will be an option to re-open nominations on each referenda
e) The song that wins the vote(s) will be the new National Anthem/regional anthem for the particular constituent nation.

4. Commencement, short title and extent.
a) This Bill may be cited as the National Anthem for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Act 2017
b) This bill will commence as soon as it receives royal assent.
c) This bill extends to TSRdom, England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland subject to the appropriate consent being given by the developed democracies.

Appendix 1.
a) In a period, no less than 3 months after the next General Election, the Speaker may post a thread calling for nominations for the next Anthems for the United Kingdom and each of its Constituent Parts for a period of no less than 7 days.
i) The 4 anthems that were nominated the most for each region/the United Kingdom will be put forward to a vote in a thread in the Politics sub-forum, the Chat forum and the MHOC forum
ii) This vote must be conducted via the STV election method using Google Forms or some other ballot polling method that allows for the STV election method to be completed.
iii) There will be option to re-open nominations on each referenda.
iv) The national referendum must offer ‘God Save Our Queen/King’ as an option to vote for.
v) The song that wins the vote(s) will be the New National Anthem/regional anthem for the particular constituent nation.
vi) The polling must be held open for a period of no less than 7 days, and each participant can only vote once.
1) In order to ensure this, participants will be required to put their username on each successfully completed Ballot Paper, and if the voting software provides it: the option to complete no more than one entry must be used.

username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
nay. unnecessary.
littleswany
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is the current national anthem even law?
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I nominate this song

username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
I nominate this song

That's better than God save the queen any day.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It appears that the Liberals didn't do their homework or any proofreading. The national anthem of TSRland is the first and third verses of 'I Vow To Thee My Country', and the real-life funeral dirge is 'God Save The Queen'.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
It appears that the Liberals didn't do their homework or any proofreading. The national anthem of TSRland is the first and third verses of 'I Vow To Thee My Country', and the real-life funeral dirge is 'God Save The Queen'.
Is there even a third verse of I vow to thee? ( I thought it had two! :confused: )
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
Is there even a third verse of I vow to thee? ( I thought it had two! :confused: )
Very rarely sung, but yes.

From Wikipedia:

"I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me;
Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on hear head;
And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead;
I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
I haste to thee my mother, a son among her sons."
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very rarely sung, but yes.

From Wikipedia:

"I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me;
Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on hear head;
And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead;
I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
I haste to thee my mother, a son among her sons."
Thanks, that's probably why I didn't know it existed.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My bad - I will amend this for the second reading.

To be fair - this is alot more fleshed out than the majority of the bills seen in the house.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by littleswany)
Is the current national anthem even law?
In RL - no it's not. It's regarded as a Customary Convention. This would change that.

Although in TSRdom it probably is.
littleswany
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
In RL - no it's not. It's regarded as a Customary Convention. This would change that.

Although in TSRdom it probably is.
Thanks
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I nominate this song

Our Royal Anthem as God save the Queen. Absolutely no problem with this being the national anthem.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fleky6910)
That's better than God save the queen any day.
SHAME!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
Our Royal Anthem as God save the Queen. Absolutely no problem with this being the national anthem.
So do we need to change the national anthem IRL too given it's also the Royal anthem?
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So do we need to change the national anthem IRL too given it's also the Royal anthem?
Just a comment, Jammy. Calm yourself, man.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I nominate this song
Sorry - but it has to be this:

Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, for two reasons;

1.) As I understand it, this would mandate a national anthem referendum for EVERY term from now on, this is a waste that could be used on other referendums, if the recurring element is removed from a second reading, this could change my mind.

2.) TSR is a bit sketchy with using offsite polling software iirc, that may prove to be a sticking point with this bill.

Also, I think an anthem referendum would be incredibly dull, there'd be very little room for debate, unlike my party's monarchy proposal, which would be far more detailed and engaging.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nay, for two reasons;

1.) As I understand it, this would mandate a national anthem referendum for EVERY term from now on, this is a waste that could be used on other referendums, if the recurring element is removed from a second reading, this could change my mind.

2.) TSR is a bit sketchy with using offsite polling software iirc, that may prove to be a sticking point with this bill.

Also, I think an anthem referendum would be incredibly dull, there'd be very little room for debate, unlike my party's monarchy proposal, which would be far more detailed and engaging.
It's not intending to mandate that - if you can DM me with the langauge that you think causes that interpretation we can make amendments.

Indeed - might need a clause to amend that if the time comes.

It's a bit of fun, and you can have a detailed debate about it I believe. Mainly a Traditionalist vs something else debate.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nay, for two reasons;

This is AFC bill but I agree on your 1st point and should be amended for 2nd reading.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (314)
65.97%
No (162)
34.03%

Watched Threads