mnc61
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
I am studying AS Edexcel Government and Politics and I am only planning the revise 2 topics for unit 1 and 3 topics (Parliament, Constitution and PM/Cabinet).

However the problem is that I have not learned much from the lessons nor have I studied that much during the year so would it be best to just create answers from past questions and memorize them? Because I don't have enough time to finish the whole spec and then do exam practice as I have only 13 days. Would this enough for an A overall?

What is the key to get an A in politics? By the way my analysis isn't strong so would it be effective to just create a bunch of answers from questions as revision (of course using the book)
LennyBicknel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, you certainly need semi up-to-date examples to support any point you're trying to make, but that's just part of getting good marks. A large part of it is that your line of argument is sustained and very clear throughout (i.e. you specify it in your introduction, refer back to it throughout, and in the conclusion). Same applies to the question - never lose sight of what the question is actually asking, and not just going on about what you want the question to be about.

Showing a balanced argument is important too (i.e. introducing points against your own), but then explaining why they're wrong (with evidence). Analysis is mostly about what 'role' certain factors play, how significant they are, how they might change over time etc.

So yes, considering your time restraint doing past paper questions might be best.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help (I'm an A2 politics student, did Edexcel UK politics for AS too; got 100%).
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LennyBicknel)
Well, you certainly need semi up-to-date examples to support any point you're trying to make, but that's just part of getting good marks. A large part of it is that your line of argument is sustained and very clear throughout (i.e. you specify it in your introduction, refer back to it throughout, and in the conclusion). Same applies to the question - never lose sight of what the question is actually asking, and not just going on about what you want the question to be about.

Showing a balanced argument is important too (i.e. introducing points against your own), but then explaining why they're wrong (with evidence). Analysis is mostly about what 'role' certain factors play, how significant they are, how they might change over time etc.

So yes, considering your time restraint doing past paper questions might be best.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help (I'm an A2 politics student, did Edexcel UK politics for AS too; got 100%).
I've revised constitution for unit 2 but hardly touched the other 3 unit 2 topics

Out of PM/ Parliament and judiciary which two is easier to revise
LennyBicknel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 3mmz)
I've revised constitution for unit 2 but hardly touched the other 3 unit 2 topics

Out of PM/ Parliament and judiciary which two is easier to revise
I didn't revise judiciary when I did my AS - I thought the content was really vague, and that examples were limited. I'd go for the first two personally
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LennyBicknel)
I didn't revise judiciary when I did my AS - I thought the content was really vague, and that examples were limited. I'd go for the first two personally
How did you revise
What was your technique
LennyBicknel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 3mmz)
How did you revise
What was your technique
Flashcards (each had a question covering each area of each topic e.g. what are the reasons for and against an elected HoL?; how was the Commons reformed under Blair and Brown? etc.); condensed notes, covering only the information and examples I needed (my flashcards were just copied and pasted from the notes, in fact); plenty of past paper questions (mostly plans - sometimes handed them to teacher to be marked).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (247)
34.02%
No (479)
65.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed