Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm considering applying for the post graduate program of The London Consortium [ http://www.londonconsortium.com ] as an international student; their FAQ page, and those of many other universities I've been considering, list a "First or Upper-Second Class UK Honours Degree or equivalent" as a requirement for application. In my university the grading system works on a scale of 100 and my degree of graduation is 76.35 points over 100; how would this translate to the UK honours system?

(Sorry if similar questions have come up before but my search hasn't yielded any useful results.)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to know what 76.35 is worth in UK terms you should look at how many people on your course get better / worse than this.

In the UK system 76% would be an excellent mark (First), however, this is only because a lot of subjects don't really give out anything above 80 (even though the mark is expressed as a percentage, i.e. out of 100). In a lot of American universities, for instance, 76% would be nowhere near as good, as some of them tend to make use of the full marking scale up to 100. (This is a problem some of my American friends have encountered when going back after a year in England - their home universities, especially the smaller ones, regarded the high 2.1s and low Firsts that they got as about average.)

Generally speaking, I would say that about 5-10% of students in the UK get a First and about 40% will get an Upper Second (can vary quite a bit between different universities!)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.