The Student Room Group

How to get Primary School Experience

Hi guys,

I'd love some advice please!

I have a conditional offer for a Primary PGCE at UCL/IoE for Sep '17. One of the conditions is that I need to complete a minimum of 10 days work experience at an inner city state maintained primary school.

I thought that it eould be relatively easy to get accepted by a school for this but so far I have been turned down by both of the schools that I have been in contact with. Is there anything in particular that schools are looking for when they accept or reject requests for work experience?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you!
my sisters did work experience in the primary school they used to go to.. idk that probably helped. You should ask the primary school you went to
Go through https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/school-experience for your one day experience, be really likeable and ask for more experience at the end - thats what I did. However I also had an interest in applying to the school as I am doing the school direct route.

Good Luck
Reply 3
Where are you located? Can you get in touch with the uni that offered you a place and see if they have any contacts that may be abke to help? Its a 2 way street, they want you on the course so may be able to do something for you. Also, have you considered just asking for a couple of days experience rather than the whole 10? Having experience at lots of schools is better than having experience at just one, and it may be easier for you to get a couple of days at a school rather than 2 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rose M.
Hi guys,

I'd love some advice please!

I have a conditional offer for a Primary PGCE at UCL/IoE for Sep '17. One of the conditions is that I need to complete a minimum of 10 days work experience at an inner city state maintained primary school.

I thought that it eould be relatively easy to get accepted by a school for this but so far I have been turned down by both of the schools that I have been in contact with. Is there anything in particular that schools are looking for when they accept or reject requests for work experience?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you!

It can be difficult, but it's really just a matter of contacting as many schools as possible, and contacting those again that haven't responded. Of the three local primary schools in my area, one (my old primary school) immediately rejected me, one never responded even after I phoned them up after the email, but the third one responded and offered me work experience after I emailed them then chased it up a couple of weeks later. Essentially, schools are busy places, but you're likely to get lucky with at least one school.

Alternatively, you could see if you have any other connections, such as a family member or friend or something like that who works in a school.

I don't think there's anything they'll look for in candidates for work experience - I just outlined that I'm seeking experience for an eventual PGCE application, and that I've got skills that will help me be an asset to the school etc. It's more a matter of finding a school with the capacity to take you on as a volunteer than your application per se, and the fact that you've got an offer from UCL (congrats about that!!) means you're clearly a suitable candidate anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
The easiest way to get experience is to know someone. A parent, a friend of a friend or a teacher. Once you know someone it is relatively easy but you need to get a wiggle on. Failing that, ask someone at the uni if they have any contacts.

Good luck!
Just e-mail as many schools as your possibly can and ask for experience. Explain a bit about yourself, why you want experience, what your future plans are and why you have chosen that school (just look on their website - comment about how they are an outstanding/good school, etc) and then the dates that you are available. Try to be as flexible as you can though, especially as it's getting to the end of the school year - you basically only have a short window left to do experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending