What do you think about mental illness? Watch

xBeautifulMind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I feel like those who don't think that they are have never actually experienced one or appreciated how they can affect a person's ability to live.
The 'mental illness is choice' theory is just ridiculous in my opinion. Why would anyone choose to put themselves in that much pain? Surely making the conscious decision to not be happy would mean they do not have a healthy mind anyway, which just counteracts that silly argument.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Uhh.. yes. anyone who doesnt is just stupid
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, they most definitely are real conditions. Speaking as someone who has suffered and a friend to many who suffer worse, there is no 'choice' in having a mental illness. You don't wake up one morning and think "Oooooh, I think today calls for my entire world to come crashing down around me". So yeah, it's real.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work with people with both mental and physical disabilities helping them fill in disability forms, and I can categorically say that chronic mental illness is just as debilitating as many physical disabilities, even more so in many cases. One also does not choose to be mentally unwell, obviously (well, in most cases anyway, but there are plenty of special snowflakes around who like to whinge on social media about how mentally ill they are just for attention). Tbh though, whether or not mental illnesses are real or not is very a silly question in this day and age.
feministy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do threads like this exist
username3110466
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
who even says mental illness is a choice?
like i can't actually imagine someone dense enough to say, "oh that guy with paranoid schizophrenia is choosing to hallucinate"
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Attachment 651354
Attached files
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jessika300599)
I feel like those who don't think that they are have never actually experienced one or appreciated how they can affect a person's ability to live.
The 'mental illness is choice' theory is just ridiculous in my opinion. Why would anyone choose to put themselves in that much pain? Surely making the conscious decision to not be happy would mean they do not have a healthy mind anyway, which just counteracts that silly argument.
yes its real, mine nearly cost me my life
xBeautifulMind
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zargabaath)
who even says mental illness is a choice?
like i can't actually imagine someone dense enough to say, "oh that guy with paranoid schizophrenia is choosing to hallucinate"
Quite a few people think that people with mental illnesses bring it upon themselves because they do not have enough hobbies, see friends enough or exercise enough. I have been told this by mental health "professionals".
And there are some people at my sixth form who genuinely believe that mental illness is a choice and say things like "people with anxiety just make it up so that they have an excuse to be lazy". It annoys me so much.
sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how is mental health is a choice? people dont decide to develop OCD, or depression or bipolar disorder it could be down to drug abuse which may be seen as a choice to some extent but a lot of people dont realise what the aftermath of drug abuse is until it gets to that point.

it could also be due to life events such as a bad childhood and there is even neurological evidence for some for example OCD could be linked to low levels of serotonin which is the hormone which inhibits repetition of tasks

Spoiler:
Show

shout out to AQA psychology for a beautiful psychopathology topic !!!
xBeautifulMind
Rep:
?
(Original post by feministy)
Why do threads like this exist
Maybe because the person who made the thread wants to hear some opinions on the topic? If you actually bothered to read all of my post, you'd see that I definitely do think they are genuine illnesses. There are a lot of ignorant people out there who don't though.
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's nothing an MH patient needs more than understanding. And love.
anonmous270
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Never mock a pain you haven't felt'
Cat_ion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's real, but I don't think it's an illness - it's something that's a part of you, that you can't help.

I honestly wish mental health was understood more, I've heard people at school 'flinging around' terms that they don't understand and think it's all a joke, and it makes me so upset as this just dimishes the whole thing
Feministy.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jessika300599)
Yeah there right nutters!
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure what you wanted to achieve by creating this thread. The answer is pretty obvious, of course it's a real illness.
xBeautifulMind
Rep:
?
Is your name Jessika too? Bless you, you must be so proud of that .

In response to your cake though, no, not everyone is neurotypical. But not everyone has heart conditions, yet they seem to be understood perfectly fine. Would you make a heart attack survivor a cake with a message mocking their condition on top? No, I didn't think so.
JackusGomux
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course it's a real illness! I can't stand people that say otherwise. Our society doesn't treat it like a normal disease; if someone breaks a leg, you are helpful towards them, but there are many people that exclude the mentally unhealthy making their condition even worse. This is something that really needs to change
xBeautifulMind
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
Not sure what you wanted to achieve by creating this thread. The answer is pretty obvious, of course it's a real illness.
That's not what a lot of the older generation think. They think the answer is to just "get on with life" like they had to when they were our age.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads