Unfair how they grade GCSE English Lit? Watch

BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The way that English Lit is graded is that the grade boundaries for the two papers added together are the same, no matter which book you have chosen. So whether you picked Romeo and Juliet or Much ado about nothing, you will have the same grade boundaries.

Does this not seem unfair to people? That the people on Romeo and Juliet had a really hard question on serveants, while the people doing Much Ado about Nothing had a pretty nice obvious question on one of the main characters. Surely, the people doing Romeo and Juliet would obviously do worse due to the harder question so should surely have grade boundaries specifically tailored to the pieces they chose.

Am I on to something here? Or am I misunderstanding something.

Frankly, when it's all said and done, I want to see statistics of which proportion of people who got 7-9 chose which text in comparison with the number of candidates who chose that text in general.

P.S This is me speaking as someone who is doing Much Ado, so no bitterness here.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
The way that English Lit is graded is that the grade boundaries for the two papers added together are the same, no matter which book you have chosen. So whether you picked Romeo and Juliet or Much ado about nothing, you will have the same grade boundaries.

Does this not seem unfair to people? That the people on Romeo and Juliet had a really hard question on serveants, while the people doing Much Ado about Nothing had a pretty nice obvious question on one of the main characters. Surely, the people doing Romeo and Juliet would obviously do worse due to the harder question so should surely have grade boundaries specifically tailored to the pieces they chose.

Am I on to something here? Or am I misunderstanding something.

Frankly, when it's all said and done, I want to see statistics of which proportion of people who got 7-9 chose which text in comparison with the number of candidates who chose that text in general.

P.S This is me speaking as someone who is doing Much Ado, so no bitterness here.
I agree.I do great expectations and we had a question on magwitch!!The book is 500 pages long and he appears in less then 15% of the book!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads