The Student Room Group

Does an all nigher cure a messed up sleeping pattern?

I usually sleep from 5am-12pm, however, I have exams coming up and they all start at 9am.

Is it worth pulling an all nighter and attempt to go bed at 10pm tomorrow in hope to fix this messed up sleeping pattern?

Has anyone tried this before or does anyone have any opinions as to whether it would work?
Only one way to find out :biggrin: Use it as an opportunity to catch up on some revision.
Reply 2
Original post by Breakingbank
I usually sleep from 5am-12pm, however, I have exams coming up and they all start at 9am.

Is it worth pulling an all nighter and attempt to go bed at 10pm tomorrow in hope to fix this messed up sleeping pattern?

Has anyone tried this before or does anyone have any opinions as to whether it would work?

Lately I've had a very similar schedule. I kind of tried to have an all-nighter last night but I got too tired and fell asleep at 8am, woke up at 2pm. So it just made things worse...
Original post by Breakingbank

Yes it should work just fine!
Its not easy but i stayed up till 11 at night the next day , then slept at a normal hour
Take it fro me - no, it doesn't.

Source - myself having a messed up sleeping pattern for god knows how long, sleeping at 12pm and waking up at 9pm, and no matter what time I go to bed, it's always the same.
Reply 6
I've just done it, from 2pm the day before yesterday to about midnight last night, woke up about ten minutes ago.
I've (stupidly) pulled more than 40 all nighters for no reason since starting first year of uni (and never stayed up later than 2am before that) and I would say that they don't immediately. If you've completely inverted your sleep cycle and it has been inverted for some time, then when you all-night it to get back into the normal cycle, you'll find it difficult to sleep continuously every night. At least that's what happened with me - broken up sleep for many nights. But eventually you get back into it. I have a feeling though that the messed up sleeping pattern still has its long term consequences even if you get back into a normal one.

I don't really see another fix since you're not exactly going to be able to sleep a few hours after waking up, so you have to go to the other extreme.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I have a feeling though that the messed up sleeping pattern still has its long term consequences even if you get back into a normal one.

It must be somethng else because it definitely works, done it plenty like yourself and no issues s
It should...
Reply 10
never works for me sadly
Yes if you sleep early the next night. If not then you will just have the same problem when you wake up again.

Quick Reply

Latest