Emberin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would someone please be able to explain how clonal selection works in humoral immunity? Thanks!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emberin)
Would someone please be able to explain how clonal selection works in humoral immunity? Thanks!
B cells express antigen-specific receptors before antigens (each B-cells are unique and specific to only one type of antigen) are ever encountered in the body. These B-cells roam, and their receptors bind to infected body cells or an antigen itself which causes it to activate. After B cell activation, the B cells clone themselves undergo clonal expansion, but during each cellular division, random mutations occur that gradually increase the binding affinity for B cell-produced antibodies to antigens.
SANTR
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emberin)
Humour meaning 'body fluid'. Involves the production of antibodies which circulate in the fluid. There are 2 types of white blood cells, lymphocytes and phagocytes. B lymphocytes (B cells) can take in, by endocytosis, e.g. bacterial cells, the B cells process the bacteria cells and present its antigens on the B cell's cell-surface membrane. T lyphocytes with complementary shaped receptors to the antigens, bind to the antigens to cause the B cells to divide by mitosis into a group of identical B cells. The group of B cells all produce the same antibodies. A bacteria cell doesn't only have one type of antigen, it has several different antigens and each antigen stimulates a different B cell (as each B cell is only specfic to a particular antigen), thus resulting in different clones of B cells and members of the same clone produce the same antbodies.
Emberin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I think I understand a bit more, but I'm still a bit confused. This is what the textbook says:

"Activated T helper cells bind to a B cell APC. This is clonal selection - the point at which the B cell with the correct antibodies to overcome an antigen is selected for cloning"

I still a bit confused because I thought an APC just presented the antigens, but didn't play a part in actually producing the antibodies?
Abistudyhard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The antigen presenting cell doesn't directly produce antibodies, it is cloned by mitosis to produce plasma cells and memory cells, it those plasma cells which secretebthe antibodies. The information about the structure from the antibody is passed on during mitosis into the plasma cells so they can produce antibodies with the right specific shape
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (14)
73.68%
No (3)
15.79%
Not sure (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed