Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much have you got saved for uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've got about £700 in the bank at the moment but I'm aiming to have hit £1000 (and keep it in 4 figures) by the time I start. I've been working lots of overtime at M&S

ReputationRep:
    I have £5500 so far, and I hope to get it up to £8000ish by next year.

Don't want to scrounge off my parents - I want to be totally independant!

ReputationRep:
    i've oscillated wildly from -400 to 1800...currently i'm on 880 but i reckon that'll be down to 400 by the time i get there....i'll be getting a job

ReputationRep:
    Got about £400 saved. I'm getting £1 500 in grants and a scholarship of £1000 from leeds uni although i only get £500 the first year and the other £500 the second year depending on 1st year results.

With this and my student loan i thought i was going to be ok til I read this thread :eek: Got no choice really I have to be ok cos my mum cant afford to help me out

ReputationRep:
    Worryingly little
    I've had a job in a bar since March, but despite having to turn down shifts left right and centre during my A-levels, since the summer began the work has really dried up. They've had to cut costs, which has led to me getting one shift every 2-3 weeks on average at the moment. I wasn't able to find another summer job because my town is overrun with returning students and once it goes past June, there just isn't any work to be found. I had a few hundred in my account after A-levels but blew it on trips away, clothes for uni, and petrol visiting friends all over the country. Despite promising myself I'd keep my balance over £500 now, I currently have £40
    I'm hoping to claw it back by the time I start uni though. I'm doing temp work for my mum and taking any shifts I can get at work. I'm also owed nearly £200 in wrongly taken tax from my bar job - if I can figure out how to get it back ASAP I'll be very happy.
    My dad is paying for my accommodation and I know he'll try and help me out beyond that if he can, but I'm on my own when it comes to day-to-day finances. I just want enough in my account to get by on a shoestring without having to get a job straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Worryingly little
    I've had a job in a bar since March, but despite having to turn down shifts left right and centre during my A-levels, since the summer began the work has really dried up. They've had to cut costs, which has led to me getting one shift every 2-3 weeks on average at the moment...
    i'm sure they've got jobs going as bouncers at the lizard lounge :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i'm sure they've got jobs going as bouncers at the lizard lounge :mad:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    :confused:
    sorry, thought u were someone else off the bristol forum

ReputationRep:
    parents paying fees, and food allowance
    loan covering accomodation
    £1400 saved up for other stuff (clubs, goin out, essentials etc)

was aimin for 2k, but 1750 may be more realistic now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    parents paying fees, and food allowance
    loan covering accomodation
    £1400 saved up for other stuff (clubs, goin out, essentials etc)

was aimin for 2k, but 1750 may be more realistic now
    Well apparently if I applied for a loan I wouldn't get squat. I've saved up a few grand and let me tell you saving is one of the hardest things I've done. I can imagine it will soon run out and I'll be left to my own devies as parents have 'let me go',lol so they say. 2 weeks into uni my mother will be worrying again.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - well - I've earnt a fair bit over the year, however - I have had to spend a lot of it on various things. My last paycheque should be for about £200 and I won't receive it until about 3 days before I start uni -so I'll have that - plus the £100 in my ISA. And hopefully about another £250 on top of that if I manage to put it aside - although I have a lot of 'neccessary' items to buy etc - including a new passport, for my expedition to Iceland next year, plus another £50 I have to send off to the people organising that trip. But it's my bday 2 days before I move in so hopefully I won't have to shell out too much on books etc because I'm getting money for that sort of thing for my birthday.

However I think a bit of overtime may be neccessary now to boost my cash flow a bit - sigh :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is starting Liverpool to do vet sci and he has over £13,000 BUT we just got a well swanky apartment in Liverpool city centre to live in so that has taken a bit of a chunk out of that!

ReputationRep:
    i have £1900 in my account at the moment (saved over the last few years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    i have £1900 in my account at the moment (saved over the last few years)

I have 11p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 411?)
    I have 11p
    i'll wire you 9p if you want (20p is far more useful )

ReputationRep:
    £o

ReputationRep:
    About £2500 saved by the time i go in october.. but my parents are helping out with fixed costs like the accommodation.. i really want to avoid getting into debt, and want to spend as little of my loan as possible, so im working out a rough budget, which i know i wont manage to stick to... but i want to at least try

ReputationRep:
    Well I have taken a gap year, and I'm getting a job. So for uni nxt year I should have atleast £5,000 to spare for uni. It should get me through the first year.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have alot saved, but those jolly people at the institute of Physics have decided to give me £750 at the beginning of the first and second years, result!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.