The Student Room Group

Optical isomers of an anime!

Hi guys,

The question I am given states to draw the two isomers of the anime which I have found out to be butylamine. As this is part of a bigger question regarding optical isomers I am assuming it means to draw the said optical isomers for this particular anime (if there are in fact two of those).

Could anyone please help to draw these?

Thank you!
Original post by EllJune
Hi guys,

The question I am given states to draw the two isomers of the anime which I have found out to be butylamine. As this is part of a bigger question regarding optical isomers I am assuming it means to draw the said optical isomers for this particular anime (if there are in fact two of those).

Could anyone please help to draw these?

Thank you!

Confused me for a sec, by saying anime LOL.

Thing is, there's a couple of different butylamine structures, so first you need to work out which you have. Then, you have to identify a chiral centre; that's a carbon atom where the four groups bonded to it are all different from each other. Then, plug the four groups into this general equation, and then you'll have shown the 2 enantiomers of the butylamine that you have.

http://www.teachers.guardian.co.uk/Guardian_RootRepository/Saras/ContentPackaging/UploadRepository/learnpremium/Lesson/learnpremium/scienc~00/post16~01/chemistry/organi~00/isomerism/optica~00/diagram35.gif
Reply 2
Original post by GetOverHere
Confused me for a sec, by saying anime LOL.

Thing is, there's a couple of different butylamine structures, so first you need to work out which you have. Then, you have to identify a chiral centre; that's a carbon atom where the four groups bonded to it are all different from each other. Then, plug the four groups into this general equation, and then you'll have shown the 2 enantiomers of the butylamine that you have.

http://www.teachers.guardian.co.uk/Guardian_RootRepository/Saras/ContentPackaging/UploadRepository/learnpremium/Lesson/learnpremium/scienc~00/post16~01/chemistry/organi~00/isomerism/optica~00/diagram35.gif

Sorry - definitely meant amine! :colondollar:

The amine is the product of 2-iodobutane heated with ammonia. So am I right in thinking it would be 2-aminobutane / butylamine?
Original post by EllJune
Sorry - definitely meant amine! :colondollar:

The amine is the product of 2-iodobutane heated with ammonia. So am I right in thinking it would be 2-aminobutane / butylamine?

Correct. So your four groups surrounding the chiral carbon would be H, CH2CH3, CH3 and NH2. Now just slot them into the arrangement I put above, and you have your answer :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GetOverHere
Correct. So your four groups surrounding the chiral carbon would be H, CH2CH3, CH3 and NH2. Now just slot them into the arrangement I put above, and you have your answer :smile:

Thank you very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest