The Student Room Group

Official AS and A2 Level Edexcel Chemistry 2017 (OLD SPEC)

Poll

Which unit was the easiest for you?

I couldn't find a thread for the old spec so I decided to make one. Anyone also resitting any of the units in the old spec?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am, how are you feeling for them??
Reply 2
Original post by Cal1234
I am, how are you feeling for them??

Quite nervous for unit 1 tomorrow. I actually thought it was an afternoon exam at first until my friend told me, probably will get like 3 hours of sleep
Reply 3
Original post by anonest
Quite nervous for unit 1 tomorrow. I actually thought it was an afternoon exam at first until my friend told me, probably will get like 3 hours of sleep

How did you find it??
Reply 4
Original post by Cal1234
How did you find it??

It was quite good, I liked it. you?
Reply 5
Original post by anonest
It was quite good, I liked it. you?

Yeah I thought it was a good paper too, similar grade boundary to last year maybe??
Reply 6
Original post by Cal1234
Yeah I thought it was a good paper too, similar grade boundary to last year maybe??

I done it too, went very well imo, what did you get for relative abundance? Something like 78.35 and 21.65?
Also, for reagents was it bromine, bromine water?
And for multiple choice, you know the TOTAL volume, did you get you can't work it out?
Reply 7
Original post by Kaka121
I done it too, went very well imo, what did you get for relative abundance? Something like 78.35 and 21.65?
Also, for reagents was it bromine, bromine water?
And for multiple choice, you know the TOTAL volume, did you get you can't work it out?

Yeah I got those percentages, got those reagents too, I struggled on the total volume too but I put 600, i think i got -103 for the enthalpy change too, also the question asking the first step in the process of crude oil to pentane, I put vaporisation, had put fractional distillation first but it asked for the first stage of the process of getting pentane from crude oil so wasn't too sure
Reply 8
Original post by Cal1234
Yeah I got those percentages, got those reagents too, I struggled on the total volume too but I put 600, i think i got -103 for the enthalpy change too, also the question asking the first step in the process of crude oil to pentane, I put vaporisation, had put fractional distillation first but it asked for the first stage of the process of getting pentane from crude oil so wasn't too sure

Nice, I put fractional distillation lol.
I thought volume couldn't be worked out? Since two reactants was in ratio 2:2 but still hadn't different volumes? So n of moles would be different when though same ratio?
What did you get for the copper chromium one? I put B
And also, for gold I got A something like 1.95
And for pecentsnge yied of lead I got 79.2
Reply 9
Original post by Kaka121
Nice, I put fractional distillation lol.
I thought volume couldn't be worked out? Since two reactants was in ratio 2:2 but still hadn't different volumes? So n of moles would be different when though same ratio?
What did you get for the copper chromium one? I put B
And also, for gold I got A something like 1.95
And for pecentsnge yied of lead I got 79.2

Yeah I had no idea on the volume one, I put 1.95 and 79.2 as well, put D for chromium copper if i remember correctly, for the very last question I got c10h18 then drew displayed formula, what did you put for the polystyrene cup having good insulation and low heat capacity and the one evaluating the difference in enthalpy values due to measurement errors or something related to the Hess cycle q
Reply 10
Original post by Cal1234
Yeah I had no idea on the volume one, I put 1.95 and 79.2 as well, put D for chromium copper if i remember correctly, for the very last question I got c10h18 then drew displayed formula, what did you put for the polystyrene cup having good insulation and low heat capacity and the one evaluating the difference in enthalpy values due to measurement errors or something related to the Hess cycle q

Yeah I got same formula, and displayed was 2 double bonds,
For low heat capacity and polystyrene cup I put less heat loss therefore temp increase would be more accurate? And low heat capacity therefore ewuipment would absorb less heat and some other stuff,
Emphieical formula was 2:2:3 for Na question
And empirical for Allene was CH2 and formula for CnH2n?
Reply 11
And also, for KJMOL-1 did you get -38.something?
Since moles was 10/1000 x 2?
And other enthalpy for MgCl2 I got a positive value something like -126--230 or something so like +110
Reply 12
Original post by Kaka121
Yeah I got same formula, and displayed was 2 double bonds,
For low heat capacity and polystyrene cup I put less heat loss therefore temp increase would be more accurate? And low heat capacity therefore ewuipment would absorb less heat and some other stuff,
Emphieical formula was 2:2:3 for Na question
And empirical for Allene was CH2 and formula for CnH2n?

Yeah I got those answers too, hopefully grade boundary isn't higher than last year
Reply 13
Original post by Kaka121
And also, for KJMOL-1 did you get -38.something?
Since moles was 10/1000 x 2?
And other enthalpy for MgCl2 I got a positive value something like -126--230 or something so like +110

I got similar for Hess cycle one but for the 3 marker enthalpy I found moles of mgco3 which was 2.5/84.3(rfm) then did the energy transferred from previous q divided by moles
Reply 14
Original post by Cal1234
I got similar for Hess cycle one but for the 3 marker enthalpy I found moles of mgco3 which was 2.5/84.3(rfm) then did the energy transferred from previous q divided by moles

WHAT?! I thought we used moles of Hcl?!? I done that in a different past paper?! Oh
No
Reply 15
Original post by Kaka121
WHAT?! I thought we used moles of Hcl?!? I done that in a different past paper?! Oh
No

I'm not 100% sure but that's how I've learnt to do it as I got it wrong last year lol
Reply 16
Original post by Cal1234
I'm not 100% sure but that's how I've learnt to do it as I got it wrong last year lol

I know usually we use mols of fuel, like propane mass/Mr but I've seen where you use Hcl sometimes meh, hopefully I picked up 1/3 marks for correct sign, units, and using Kj right lol
Reply 17
Original post by Kaka121
I know usually we use mols of fuel, like propane mass/Mr but I've seen where you use Hcl sometimes meh, hopefully I picked up 1/3 marks for correct sign, units, and using Kj right lol

Yeah we always get marks for unit and sign, hopefully the rest of the papers are nice too, still hoping the grade boundary will be lower than last year haha
Reply 18
Original post by Cal1234

Did you get 1,1,4 di ethyl something?
And for H-F bonds highly exo did you say
HF are strong and others are weak 😫?
And lastly for isomer did you get 2 methyl prop1ene?
Reply 19
Original post by Kaka121
Did you get 1,1,4 di ethyl something?
And for H-F bonds highly exo did you say
HF are strong and others are weak 😫?
And lastly for isomer did you get 2 methyl prop1ene?

I said HF was strong and others weak, I got that isomer, are u talking about the multiple choice naming?? If so, I got whichever one had octane as longest chain

Quick Reply

Latest