18yr old Help with picking Bank Account Watch

Blatezboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 18 year's old on a gap year who has never had a bank account. I have applied for student finance but need a bank account to put the money into so I am looking for a bank account. I was wondering whether I should go for a normal current account or a youth account such as Barclays Young Persons. Most youth accounts are for 10 - 17yr olds but Barclays Young Persons can be used until 19yrs old. I just need an account to store Student Finance before I get my place at Uni after results day and then I can apply for a student current account. Any help would be appreciated!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blatezboy)
I'm 18 year's old on a gap year who has never had a bank account. I have applied for student finance but need a bank account to put the money into so I am looking for a bank account. I was wondering whether I should go for a normal current account or a youth account such as Barclays Young Persons. Most youth accounts are for 10 - 17yr olds but Barclays Young Persons can be used until 19yrs old. I just need an account to store Student Finance before I get my place at Uni after results day and then I can apply for a student current account. Any help would be appreciated!
Here is a guide to student accounts for 2017.

It seems to me, the best thing to do would be decide which bank you'd use for a student bank account, open a current account with them and get them to convert your account. Your bank details will be the same.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd go for the one up to 19 years old- from experience I can't be bothered switching around constantly and that will give you more leeway timewise.

Although do ask when you're setting up as Barclays do have a student account and may be able to convert your account for you later.
Blatezboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Friffinghell)
I'd go for the one up to 19 years old- from experience I can't be bothered switching around constantly and that will give you more leeway timewise.

Although do ask when you're setting up as Barclays do have a student account and may be able to convert your account for you later.
Ah what do I need leeway for? Thanks for the help btw. Why would I have to switch accounts constantly if I went for a current account.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah what do I need leeway for? Thanks for the help btw. Why would I have to switch accounts constantly if I went for a current account.
Just leeway to have time to make choices. I'm lazy

Opening accounts are a pain- it's not something i like having to do often.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.75%
No (244)
76.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise