Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am personaly not bothered as longs as people mix. Where I live its odd because its a mostly white area (91% according to the census) but the shopping centre is the nearest suburban one to Moss Side/Hulme so its a very mixed area. It gives the place a culteral diversity I think I would miss that.

However I don't go out of my way to only mix with a certain race. Where I live the Asians and Black people are just like any body else, normal and apart of the community and that is how it should be.

This what I like about consopolitan cities. I know in a lot of smaller towns there are lot racist people (such as Oldham) and I wouldn't like to live in that environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkcocolez)
    By the way im a Female and im not about to change the way i run things just because a few sensitive individuals.
    As i said i live in an all white neighbourhood , my home is the only thing i love about it.
    There is something about being a part of my community/culture that white people dont give me and im not about to sit down and explain every little detail about the Black culture to them. I dont feel i have to ..Why? because the white community is not who i yearn to be with. You cant FORCE a person to embrace something that isnt in their hearts.
    If you want to call me a racist. Go right ahead. At the end of the day im going with what my heart says . I have been denying that for so long and im not about to change now
    Racist.

ReputationRep:
    Fishpaste
    Racist
    Thanks

Amazingtrade That is your opinion .. Although diversity is good to a certain extent. Nothing can change my burning desire to be amongst my own people . I have been so frustrated with all those " Kylie Minolgue, fish and chips" environment that im subjected to day in day out and have no one to relate to when it comes to talks of Jamacian food and ragga music . My race is truly a unique special race and i didnt realise how much until i went to the carnival . I didnt realise how much i miss being with my people..
    That doesnt mean i want to move from where im at . I want to bring my people to where im at

ReputationRep:
    Fishpaste

Thanks

Amazingtrade That is your opinion .. Although diversity is good to a certain extent. Nothing can change my burning desire to be amongst my own people . I have been so frustrated with all those " Kylie Minolgue, fish and chips" environment that im subjected to day in day out and have no one to relate to when it comes to talks of Jamacian food and ragga music . My race is truly a unique special race and i didnt realise how much until i went to the carnival . I didnt realise how much i miss being with my people..
    That doesnt mean i want to move from where im at . I want to bring my people to where im at
    If you don't like it you know what you can do...
    It seems to me you're just trying trying to provoke a bit of controversy with this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yes it is also about double standards. But all these things are closely interlinked. I don't understand why you're attacking me - maybe because I'm white?

Im beginning to foster a certain dislke for you. First I thought you were just misguided, then slightly ignorant,this the degenerated into a feeling of you being arrogant. Your ignorance in my opiion lies around your opinion that you feel their is nothing one culture can offer you over the other. If a european/caucasion is willing to take an intrest in African history then so be it, I'll welcome him/her with open hands, but lets be serious how many people will learn about a culture which is not linked to themselves. As I'm sure you are aware of how overlooked negroid/semitic history is in british education, it's really ridiculous if you think about it in terms of numbers, but it's up to us to research it and find out about it ourselves instead of relying on this euro biased history which is understandable. So I don't think you can penalise this girl for trying to find out about herself.
    Now your " maybe because I'm white?" is so stupid that I bet if you read it again you'll realise how much of an idiot you sound.

"If you don't like it you know what you can do ".

I am glad you dropped out your politically correct shell and shown you and what many others think. I see alot of American bashers on here going on about their blinded patriotism of their country. Actually you wouldn't be out of place if you were sitting on the terraces of the Lions Den, you know one of those working class Xenophobes, I guess William Golding was right in "Lord of the Flies" eh

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like it you know what you can do...
    It seems to me you're just trying trying to provoke a bit of controversy with this thread
    You have taken it upon urself to address this geunine query.. Like i said before im not here to cater to your frigil ego , their are councilors out there that will help you with that. So use some initiative , get up off your ass and seek one instead of being some absent minded out of touch annoying little person that you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJ No.18)
    Im beginning to foster a certain dislke for you. First I thought you were just misguided, then slightly ignorant,this the degenerated into a feeling of you being arrogant.
    Lets not get personal. My opinion differs from yours so you don't agree with it. Fair enough.
    Your ignorance in my opiion lies around your opinion that you feel their is nothing one culture can offer you over the other.
    When did I say that??
    If a european/caucasion is willing to take an intrest in African history then so be it, I'll welcome him/her with open hands, but lets be serious how many people will learn about a culture which is not linked to themselves.
    I agree with you. Not many. The point I was making was more directed towards the PC culture. As I said before this debate also includes the issue of double standards that seem to exist where race is concerned. I'm not attacking you personally, just the farcical nature of the current government's attitude towards these issues. We're not supposed to be making generalisations about groups of people based on their race/culture/background... which is why saying 'all/most white people don't know anything about black history/culture/lifestyle.....' should be picked up on.
    As I'm sure you are aware of how overlooked negroid/semitic history is in british education,
    Might have something to do with the fact that this country is historically caucasian.
    it's really ridiculous if you think about it in terms of numbers, but it's up to us to research it and find out about it ourselves instead of relying on this euro biased history which is understandable. So I don't think you can penalise this girl for trying to find out about herself.
    I'm not penalising anyone! When did I say that she was wrong or should be punished for wanting to hang out with black/asian people? I simply asked why she has to be so specific - particularly when it's actively encouraged for everyone to accept and embrace all cultures and diversity.
    Now your " maybe because I'm white?" is so stupid that I bet if you read it again you'll realise how much of an idiot you sound.
    Not at all.
    "If you don't like it you know what you can do ".

I am glad you dropped out [of] your politically correct shell and shown you and what many others think.
    I don't have a politically correct shell - in fact I don't have any kind of "shell". Questionning what someone says and offering possible alternatives doesn't make me politically correct.
    I see alot of American bashers on here going on about their blinded patriotism of their country.
    ?? What's that got to do with anything??
    Actually you wouldn't be out of place if you were sitting on the terraces of the Lions Den, you know one of those working class Xenophobes, I guess William Golding was right in "Lord of the Flies" eh
    Now you're just bringing in literature to try and increase the credibility of your views and make it sound like you're actually involved in an intellectual debate, rather than just having a go at people. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: I can't be bothered to argue my point

ReputationRep:
    You have taken it upon urself to address this geunine query..
    Which query are you on about here?
    Like i said before im not here to cater to your frigil ego , their are councilors out there that will help you with that. So use some initiative , get up off your ass and seek one instead of being some absent minded out of touch annoying little person that you are
    Like I said before, lets not get personal. It's perfectly fair to disagree when people moan about something but never do anything about it (apart from continue to moan until someone else does something about it for them). It's almost as if the world owes them a favour.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly fair to disagree when people moan about something but never do anything about it
    Am i not doing just that by starting a thread in hopes to meet other black and asian people?

You had taken it upon urself to address my post because u simple cant accept that other black people refused to be brainwashed into this " oh so great British nation which we live in.Nonsense".

You remind me so much of those people who claim its us that has the problem when we walk into an employers officer and shoves a pile of certificates acquired over the years and have demonstrated a high level of Enthusiasm. But to only have the job wiped away from our grasps because the employer prefer to have a white face representing the company .

Someone needs a reality check, i say

ReputationRep:
    Am i not doing just that by starting a thread in hopes to meet other black and asian people?

You had taken it upon urself to address my post because u simple cant accept that other black people refused to be brainwashed into this " oh so great British nation which we live in.Nonsense".

You remind me so much of those people who claim its us that has the problem when we walk into an employers officer and shoves a pile of certificates acquired over the years and have demonstrated a high level of Enthusiasm. But to only have the job wiped away from our grasps because the employer prefer to have a white face representing the company .

Someone needs a reality check, i say
    every once in a while, certain people make certain retarded posts.

this, my negro friend, was one of those moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Lets not get personal. My opinion differs from yours so you don't agree with it. Fair enough.
    When did I say that??
    I agree with you. Not many. The point I was making was more directed towards the PC culture. As I said before this debate also includes the issue of double standards that seem to exist where race is concerned. I'm not attacking you personally, just the farcical nature of the current government's attitude towards these issues. We're not supposed to be making generalisations about groups of people based on their race/culture/background... which is why saying 'all/most white people don't know anything about black history/culture/lifestyle.....' should be picked up on.

I did not say whites do not know anything of course they do but tell me how many white people dress up in traditional Nigerian dress and eat traditional Nigerian or jamaican food, not many I would guess. Can I ask you how many of your white freinds or people you know have embraced African culture ?

Might have something to do with the fact that this country is historically caucasian.

I'm not arguing with that, as I said it is understandable, so why is it wrong for Negroes/semitics to try and embrace their culture.

I'm not penalising anyone! When did I say that she was wrong or should be punished for wanting to hang out with black/asian people? I simply asked why she has to be so specific - particularly when it's actively encouraged for everyone to accept and embrace all cultures and diversity.

Yes we are urged to accept cultures but definately not embrace them.

Not at all.

I think you do

I don't have a politically correct shell - in fact I don't have any kind of "shell". Questionning what someone says and offering possible alternatives doesn't make me politically correct.

You are the only person who has responded in this manner. I think that says alot about you

?? What's that got to do with anything??Now you're just bringing in literature to try and increase the credibility of your views and make it sound like you're actually involved in an intellectual debate, rather than just having a go at people. :rolleyes:

Contrary to beleif and I know this may astound you, not everyone wants a cultural melting point dear, ethnic stew yes, but we are not prepared to lose our identity, this girl says she has grown up with virtually only white contact so why do you object to her socializing with Negroes, she wants both worlds. You probalbly think I'm racist but I assure you i'm not. I'm probably one of the most liberal and level person you'll ever meet, most of my close freind have been white but there are somethings they can't give you. I think you have misundestood me, possibly my fault, if so I apoligize

ReputationRep:

The first point is fair enough.I was with you until then,as I'm sure that the probably of people from a similar culture as you sharing the same interests etc. is a lot greater than those who experience a different way of life.However, your second point (as selected above) is entirely misguided and untrue.There is a huge difference between not understanding/sympathising with someone due to inexperience of their culture and being deliberately prejudice against someone due to their race.The first point defines the importance of culture,but with your second point,all you address is the issue of race, which is cosmetic, trivial and shallow,at which point, you push the boundary onto racial discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    God, lol, people on this site just love to get stressed...

THE LASS JUST WANTS TO MAKE SOME BLACK FRIENDS!!!

What's the problem with that??? She never said she doesn't want to make friends with white people (she already has white friends!) and said nothing derogatory about them so why is everyone gettin a hard on over it?

To say "If a white person said the same, they'd be classed as racist" is a wrong comparison because we live in a 90%+ white population and they'd not say it anyway. You can't say that if a white person moved to Nigeria, that they wouldn't miss having white friends.

The way I see it, is that as long as you are looking to make friends, theres no problem.

If you deny friendship on grounds of race, theres a big one...however that didn't happen.

Stop with the word traps, stop with initiating arguments where it is innappropriate and stop with the black's racism vs white's racism paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    That is just f***ing outrageous. If I said that I'm feeling sick of living in Bradford because the vast majority are Asian and they don't understand me and I can't have a drink with them and posted an advert looking for *white* friends, I think the reaction would have been predictable.

Here, the argument hits the artificially created wall of *culture*. Surely mate, you've been born in Britain, maybe it's time to actually feel like a Brit?
    If you want to keep surrounding yourself with Nigerian, Pakistani or some other wonderful culture, I can suggest many other places in this world where it would be more logical and fulfilling to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference between saying ur sick of the people ur surrounded with and saying u want to make friends of the same race as urself... :rolleyes:

...If that reply was aimed towards me, hehe, smile, relax, lol. I was merely defending someone's right to ask for a specific type of friend. I personally don't much care what ma friends look like as long as they're good friends. I just think everyone is too tetchy on the subject of race when I really can't see why everyone cares so much about the colour of someones skin.

For future reference...don't bother asking for black friends, lol... a) black people are all different and some will inevitably be ***** b) it offends people and c) it's just sad.

...In the meantime, leave the gal alone, if she wants to continue her lil pursuit for black friends...let her. She's not insulting anyone and shes not saying u can't be her friend cos ur white.

Belinsky, if ya need a drink, pop down the road to York man n we'll get to partyin, lol! hehe. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I have been so frustrated with all those " Kylie Minolgue, fish and chips"
    :eek: Black people cant eat fish and chips? or listen to Kylie Minouge? (i must tell my ex-girlfriend she cant be black anymore then) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Finally !!!! someones fingers no so far up their ass and have an itch when it comes to the issue of a person ( such as i) wanting to mingle with their race. Thanks Davio . At least someone has the sense to understand where im coming from

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.