new1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

Has anyone read the play A Doll's House and if so does anyone have any books to compare it to? Preferably on a particular theme?

Thanks
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by new1234)
Hi

Has anyone read the play A Doll's House and if so does anyone have any books to compare it to? Preferably on a particular theme?

Thanks
You could use the Miniaturist (popular fairly recent book). Common theme of women being forced to live a certain way by men in a patriarchal society?

There might be a better book out there but it's a fairly good topic to get your teeth into.
new1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Friffinghell)
You could use the Miniaturist (popular fairly recent book). Common theme of women being forced to live a certain way by men in a patriarchal society?

There might be a better book out there but it's a fairly good topic to get your teeth into.

Hmmm, I would prefer more of an older, classic book but I'll take a look!

Thanks!!
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm, I would prefer more of an older, classic book but I'll take a look!

Thanks!!
Wuthering heights? These characters live their lives tied by class constraints and in dolls house the protaganist's life is tied by patriarchal constraints?
new1234
Rep:
?
Wuthering heights? These characters live their lives tied by class constraints and in dolls house the protaganist's life is tied by patriarchal constraints?
Unfortunately I am already studying Wuthering Heights for my exam and cannot use a text already used in the exam for my coursework.
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately I am already studying Wuthering Heights for my exam and cannot use a text already used in the exam for my coursework.
Ah rats! Jane Eyre? It shows gender inequality as well.
new1234
Rep:
?
Ah rats! Jane Eyre? It shows gender inequality as well.
Although I am not studying it, it is listed as a possible text to study in the exam so I am not allowed to use it for my coursework. Literally so annoying! The amount of texts I have picked and decided on and then realised I could not do is getting bigger and bigger! (mainly the play All My Sons annoyed me the most since I really felt like this was such a good text to compare it to but no luck as it is on my spec as a set text)

Sorry to be annoying!
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Although I am not studying it, it is listed as a possible text to study in the exam so I am not allowed to use it for my coursework. Literally so annoying! The amount of texts I have picked and decided on and then realised I could not do is getting bigger and bigger! (mainly the play All My Sons annoyed me the most since I really felt like this was such a good text to compare it to but no luck as it is on my spec as a set text)

Sorry to be annoying!
They don't make it easy for you- I'll give them that!

Tess of the D'ubervilles?

Good for a contrast as although the view is still quite patriarchal it views women in a completely different way. Instead of infantalised like in dolls house it's like their tied with nature and exert a certain power?

(Sorry for garbledness but thinking on my feet!)
new1234
Rep:
?
They don't make it easy for you- I'll give them that!

Tess of the D'ubervilles?

Good for a contrast as although the view is still quite patriarchal it views women in a completely different way. Instead of infantalised like in dolls house it's like their tied with nature and exert a certain power?

(Sorry for garbledness but thinking on my feet!)
They definitely do not. I was literally praying that this would not be on my specification as it sounds perfect but.............it is. Getting so frustrating now!
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They definitely do not. I was literally praying that this would not be on my specification as it sounds perfect but.............it is. Getting so frustrating now!
Much Ado About Nothing?

Gender Inequality but the women seem knowledgeable of it and arguably use it to their advantage?

Anna Karenina - rejection of traditional patriarchal values or women's roles(resulting in emotional punishment) Might be another good contrasting one?
new1234
Rep:
?
Much Ado About Nothing?

Gender Inequality but the women seem knowledgeable of it and arguably use it to their advantage?

Anna Karenina - rejection of traditional patriarchal values or women's roles(resulting in emotional punishment) Might be another good contrasting one?
Yayyyy! Both aren't listen on the specification! Gonna read both and see! Thanks.
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yayyyy! Both aren't listen on the specification! Gonna read both and see! Thanks.
Finally! Good luck!
new1234
Rep:
?
Finally! Good luck!
Haha. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads