The Student Room Group

Warwick Medicine A101 2018 Entry

Hi everyone,

didn't see a thread for this so thought i would start one for those applying for Warwick for medicine for 2018 entry graduate medicine, as a general discussion of work experience hours and stats etc.

I have a 2:1 in adult nursing and work in an ITU, using 50 hours from working as a nurse, and 20 hours of shadowing doctors on ward rounds while carrying out my nurse training everyday for a number of weeks.

Warwick are very particular stating evidence of work experience must be on headed paper of the organisation etc and signed and from past 3 years so i think can be difficult to achieve!!

UKCAT scores for offers hasn't been released yet for 2017 entry as they've stated to me in emails it wont be released until summer when the period is completely over and will be posting on their website.

UCAS also opened and they aren't an option of the choices section, however UCAS state that courses get added up until September so this should be the case but i have emailed warwick to make sure ahah :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I am also hoping to apply for graduate entry medicine in 2018 and Warwick is one of my potential choices. I've noticed that they've updated their work experience requirements to include experience gained within a three year window rather than two (15/10/2014-15/10/2017) which is really helpful! However, their work experience requirements seem to be very strict with regards to hands-on personal care and I can't see how I would achieve this without being a HCA and I work full time already. I could volunteer but I'm not sure that volunteering would provide me with the freedom to gain the same hands-on care experiences that could be achieved through being a HCA. I guess this is something that I'll have to figure out!

I'm also looking at GAMSAT unis (sat the GAMSAT in March) and their work experience requirements are a lot less specific than Warwick's so this is the first time I'm really having to think about the different experiences I've gained and how they might work for Warwick.
Reply 2
Original post by converseallstars
Hi!

I am also hoping to apply for graduate entry medicine in 2018 and Warwick is one of my potential choices. I've noticed that they've updated their work experience requirements to include experience gained within a three year window rather than two (15/10/2014-15/10/2017) which is really helpful! However, their work experience requirements seem to be very strict with regards to hands-on personal care and I can't see how I would achieve this without being a HCA and I work full time already. I could volunteer but I'm not sure that volunteering would provide me with the freedom to gain the same hands-on care experiences that could be achieved through being a HCA. I guess this is something that I'll have to figure out!

I'm also looking at GAMSAT unis (sat the GAMSAT in March) and their work experience requirements are a lot less specific than Warwick's so this is the first time I'm really having to think about the different experiences I've gained and how they might work for Warwick.

pretty much all unis are less strict and barely stipulate work experience apart from warwick. i see and understand why they do as it annoys me so much applying last year i saw school leavers saying like 'how do they expect me to know about the nhs when ive never worked in it' and how can you apply to something like medicine and have no idea what its even like?!
along with the hands on even if you volenteer and stuff like you can only take forward 50 hours so even though i work as a nurse full time that can only be classed as 50, hoping to use 20 hours from always joining consultant ward rounds as a student nurse as the other 20, but youre right it is really difficult unless you work as a HCA even things like pharmacy and stuff they dont accept. volenteering maybe in a care home like on a sunday or something and assist feeding residents or something would be classed as hands on, im pretty sure any nursing home would be happy for the help but i presume have to go through DBS and stuff first so could take a while. What do you work full time as now? its such a difficult one though :/
Original post by xJessScott
pretty much all unis are less strict and barely stipulate work experience apart from warwick. i see and understand why they do as it annoys me so much applying last year i saw school leavers saying like 'how do they expect me to know about the nhs when ive never worked in it' and how can you apply to something like medicine and have no idea what its even like?!
along with the hands on even if you volenteer and stuff like you can only take forward 50 hours so even though i work as a nurse full time that can only be classed as 50, hoping to use 20 hours from always joining consultant ward rounds as a student nurse as the other 20, but youre right it is really difficult unless you work as a HCA even things like pharmacy and stuff they dont accept. volenteering maybe in a care home like on a sunday or something and assist feeding residents or something would be classed as hands on, im pretty sure any nursing home would be happy for the help but i presume have to go through DBS and stuff first so could take a while. What do you work full time as now? its such a difficult one though :/

I agree - I understand why it's so important and I'm glad they're making sure that their applicants are well equipped enough to properly decide on a career in medicine but it does feel a bit like jumping through hoops. It says on their website that we shouldn't view it as a box ticking exercise but that's definitely what I feel like I'm doing! I have various different experiences that I think have really given me an insight into the role and realities of a career as a doctor within the NHS but it's just this hands-on care one that I'm struggling with. It's a shame really as I'm only sitting the UKCAT for Warwick and I don't want something like work experience to deter me from applying if all goes well with the UKCAT. I am working with MDTs at the moment so I sit in on weekly meetings with consultants from various disciplines which has taught me so much and I've shadowed in theatres and clinics within the role too. It's an admin role but I'm learning a lot from it. I think the care home idea is good if they'd be okay with me actually having a hands-on approach with patients/residents. Will look into it. :smile: Yours definitely sounds like it meets all the requirements though!

Have you booked your UKCAT?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by karl pilkington
nursing is not a good enough degree sorry

i know more about medicine that most currently, and when speaking to medical students and doctors about it they all state how good nurses do on the course because they already know a lot. they have a good insight to healthcare all ready and how do deal with deteriorating patients and more, i work in ITU and supply life support for at least 2 organs every day. dont say its not a good enough degree when i basically do save lives on a daily basis and want to take it further.

edit: oh and i know many many nurses are accepted onto medicine degrees every year and even unis state a nursing degree is suitable and often doesnt need a level back up e.g barts
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by converseallstars
I agree - I understand why it's so important and I'm glad they're making sure that their applicants are well equipped enough to properly decide on a career in medicine but it does feel a bit like jumping through hoops. It says on their website that we shouldn't view it as a box ticking exercise but that's definitely what I feel like I'm doing! I have various different experiences that I think have really given me an insight into the role and realities of a career as a doctor within the NHS but it's just this hands-on care one that I'm struggling with. It's a shame really as I'm only sitting the UKCAT for Warwick and I don't want something like work experience to deter me from applying if all goes well with the UKCAT. I am working with MDTs at the moment so I sit in on weekly meetings with consultants from various disciplines which has taught me so much and I've shadowed in theatres and clinics within the role too. It's an admin role but I'm learning a lot from it. I think the care home idea is good if they'd be okay with me actually having a hands-on approach with patients/residents. Will look into it. :smile: Yours definitely sounds like it meets all the requirements though!

Have you booked your UKCAT?

yeah i get what you mean but i think what theyre getting at is like 6 patients need the toilet at once and having to prioritise which are transferable skills of 6 patients need emergency cannulas who gets one first? IV fluids or antibiotics for sepsis. and i can see how it can feel like a jump through the hoop exercise but i think its just because theyre so tough requirements. but you can apply and get an interview which you show proof of your work experience then so enough time. but shadowing doctors in theatre you can definitely use for work experience.
even hands on could feeding patients and play on that i think, just any sort of activities of daily living but i think each care home would have a different policy so i would check first before committing of what you want out of it.
i hope so just they need proof on headed paper of what you did and signed etc which i would have to get from one of the docs from ward round which could be quite difficult but would try my best!
booked mine for the 22nd of august. you? good luck :smile:
i know more about medicine that most currently, and when speaking to medical students and doctors about it they all state how good nurses do on the course because they already know a lot. they have a good insight to healthcare all ready and how do deal with deteriorating patients and more, i work in ITU and supply life support for at least 2 organs every day. dont say its not a good enough degree when i basically do save lives on a daily basis and want to take it further.

edit: oh and i know many many nurses are accepted onto medicine degrees every year and even unis state a nursing degree is suitable and often doesnt need a level back up e.g barts

ok good luck if you get an offer can you post back on here thanks as I was interested in this course at this uni
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply to Warwick this year as well. UKCAT booked for early July - really hoping that my VR score is above the national mean as this tends to be my weakest area of the test.

The Work Experience requirement is a tricky one, but their website explains why they look for direct hands on care. I'm currently working full time in a job not associated with health care. I am currently volunteering in the community to help patients recently discharged from hospital as they regain their strength and confidence. I checked that this role is suitable with Warwick as it is so important to make sure that the work experience is valid. I have 4 weeks of shadowing in different departments in hospital, but this will only count as 20 hours. The hands on care that is asked for appears to be roles that would typically require a DBS check so it can take time to complete the application and training process in order to begin volunteering.

I went to the Open Day at the end of May - the course looked awesome and the lecturers were all really friendly and offered some great taster sessions. Good luck to everyone applying!
Hi! I'm also planning to apply to Warwick this year! I've been a nurse for the last four years which is what I'll be using as work experience for the 50 hours as well as St. John ambulance, and to make sure I am ticking all the right boxes I have convinced a few of my consultants to let me shadow them in clinics.

I'm glad its been posted about the UCAS adding choices up until September as it had me a little worried about not being able to find Warwick being that is my first choice. (Means less hassle moving around the country again.)

The QR section is the part I am mostly concerned about it the UKCAT I cant seem to get through them quick enough when I practice, I know a lot of advice is to guess and skip the long winded questions that eat away at time but I have the issue that i know it is relatively easy maths and want to try every question.

Having been to the taster day, and knowing a large amount of Doctors who have graduated Warwick (plus meeting med students from there while at work.) It seems like a very good school!
So good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by jessie2792
Hi! I'm also planning to apply to Warwick this year! I've been a nurse for the last four years which is what I'll be using as work experience for the 50 hours as well as St. John ambulance, and to make sure I am ticking all the right boxes I have convinced a few of my consultants to let me shadow them in clinics.

I'm glad its been posted about the UCAS adding choices up until September as it had me a little worried about not being able to find Warwick being that is my first choice. (Means less hassle moving around the country again.)

The QR section is the part I am mostly concerned about it the UKCAT I cant seem to get through them quick enough when I practice, I know a lot of advice is to guess and skip the long winded questions that eat away at time but I have the issue that i know it is relatively easy maths and want to try every question.

Having been to the taster day, and knowing a large amount of Doctors who have graduated Warwick (plus meeting med students from there while at work.) It seems like a very good school!

Sorry to be a bubble burster but they don't accept St Johns ambulance at all anymore (I was hoping to use them myself) if you go on their placement criteria page it explains why

Hi Jessie,

I'm the opposite to you and QR tends to be my strongest section. I've taken the UKCAT a couple of times before and scored over 800 every time in QR. The main tip that I have is to be decisive about whether and how much you need to use the calculator. The calculator will slow you down but is essential for many questions. Do the sums that you can in your head and only use the calculator for the bits you need. Just do what you can to minimise the amount of data you have to plug into the calculator e.g. if you have to calculate an average of say twelve different numbers then if you can add 2 or 3 of them together in your head as you go and input say 5 numbers that will still give the total of the 12 numbers then you will find that you will save yourself a fair few seconds. This may not sound like a lot but the time adds up. I find that it is just about finding efficient work processes.
Hey! Im also planning on applying to Warwick too for Graduate Medicine. I did my masters there back in 2013 so im hoping for a little nepotism on their part! I too found their 'work experience requirements' a little frustrating. Last year I did some work with a sports events medicine company (lots of trauma stuff) but because Warwick couldn't quantify how many hours I had done, it counted for nothing. So, I have just organised 2 different volunteering hands-on-with-patients positions at separate hospitals here in Cambridge. Im hoping that will do the trick!

Im going to be a bit cheeky and apply to Warwick and Kings with the UKCAT and do the GAMSAT for two other unis - probably some where down in London. Seems to make good sense to me to double my chances! I did the UKCAT some years ago just after my first year as a bit of research and as long as you do a good 20-30 hours worth of practice, you will come out with a good score :smile:

hi, im a nurse too! i only qualified in January but i work in ITU currently. ive always wanted to do medicine and was a plan to apply after finishing nursing. i applied last year but my UKCAT score wasnt good enough for newcastle or warwick. me and my partner own a house so i dont want to move either and want newcastle, applying for a100 and a101. when i started UKCAT last year i went onto GCSE bitesize and went through the maths stuff was good to refresh myself with percentages and areas etc and was good basis before UKCAT. i would say start off just doing them at your own speed but not too slow as you need to decipher what is important information rather than reading the whole text often a paragraph at the top is not required to answer the question so quickly skim that to see if there is any information required. i then if its a table or graph just read the heads of the columns so i know what im dealing with and easier to find information once ive read the question, most other things like percentage change and stuff just practice on bbc bitesize first and then move to QR. its the hardest section for timing too! just practice as much as possible. often people want to answer every question and wont be beaten but i wouldnt say just skip questions either, if its more long winded, if you know what steps youre going to take to the correct answer then do it, if youre not sure or would take longer to work out how to get to the correct answer then flag and come back. make sure youre familiar with the ukcat calculator as well using the keyboard rather than the mouse as largely faster.
oh and i was stressing when warwick wasnt an option on ucas too, i emailed both ucas and warwick aha but they said that, that it will come on later
(edited 6 years ago)
I'll be applying to Warwick this year too! I graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Science in 2014. I've since worked for an NHS biobank for 1.5 years - working on wards, outpatient clinics, surgical theatres and pathology labs, and I am currently a year into my role as a research assistant on a smoking cessation clinical trial - again a lot of work on wards but also in patient's homes post-discharge. I do an hour and a half a week volunteering on a maternity ward before starting work, and I've also spent an afternoon shadowing physiologists in a cardiac outpatient clinic and a week shadowing respiratory consultants and a radiologist working in a breast clinic.

I'm really struggling to find any hand on experience. I've applied for numerous HCA jobs but don't seem to be getting anywhere! I had one interview last week but I think the nurses were suspicious as to why I was willing to take such a drastic pay cut. They didn't directly say it but I think they knew of my intentions and thought I wouldn't be sticking around for long (?)

I'm still applying for positions, and should I get an another interview I will definitely be more honest about my career goals and just hope they are supportive. Thanks for the reminder about nursing homes! That hadn't even crossed my mind - I'll get in contact with some local to me. Do you think assisting with feeding at meal times will be sufficient to be classed as hands on?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
University of Warwick does medicine ?Never knew that !
Original post by bobby147
University of Warwick does medicine ?Never knew that !

yes, but for those who already hold a degree 2:1 or above
yes, but for those who already hold a degree 2:1 or above

Alright,it is undergraduate,that 's why.Fair enough.I am going into undergrad,that is probably why I never heard of it.
What was your undergrad degree,where did you do it and what grade did you get may I ask :smile:?
How are you preparing for the application ?
Tbh,Warwick does not really advertise their medical school like in other unis.Quite sneaky :wink:.
Original post by kelisha2
I'll be applying to Warwick this year too! I graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Science in 2014. I've since worked for an NHS biobank for 1.5 years - working on wards, outpatient clinics, surgical theatres and pathology labs, and I am currently a year into my role as a research assistant on a smoking cessation clinical trial - again a lot of work on wards but also in patient's homes post-discharge. I do an hour and a half a week volunteering on a maternity ward before starting work, and I've also spent an afternoon shadowing physiologists in a cardiac outpatient clinic and a week shadowing respiratory consultants and a radiologist working in a breast clinic.

I'm really struggling to find any hand on experience. I've applied for numerous HCA jobs but don't seem to be getting anywhere! I had one interview last week but I think the nurses were suspicious as to why I was willing to take such a drastic pay cut. They didn't directly say it but I think they knew of my intentions and thought I wouldn't be sticking around for long (?)

I'm still applying for positions, and should I get an another interview I will definitely be more honest about my career goals and just hope they are supportive. Thanks for the reminder about nursing homes! That hadn't even crossed my mind - I'll get in contact with some local to me. Do you think assisting with feeding at meal times will be sufficient to be classed as hands on?

Hey I would say definately voice your goals it really worked in my favour and secured my job straight from 1st interview! Especially if you have aspirations to work bank positions throughout medical school etc
Original post by kelisha2

Good choice on Warwick, I did my masters there a few years ago and the medical school is top notch :smile: I would have thought that the combination of your work experience, coupled with your volunteering would provide ample 'hands-on' experience? At the moment I am volunteering at 2 hospitals (drastically different sets of patients) and I am confident that will be plenty.
Original post by bobby147
Alright,it is undergraduate,that 's why.Fair enough.I am going into undergrad,that is probably why I never heard of it.
What was your undergrad degree,where did you do it and what grade did you get may I ask :smile:?
How are you preparing for the application ?
Tbh,Warwick does not really advertise their medical school like in other unis.Quite sneaky :wink:.

hi, i qualified as a nurse in january 2017 and got a 2:1 i now work as an ITU nurse, ive shadowed doctors on ward rounds for 16 weeks for 3 hours so due to that and nursing will reach the work experience requirements also. i applied last year but was unsuccessful because i got 643 average ukcat and needed higher, so more ukcat questions, and if i receive an interview will re-read their selection process and interview criteria in all of their documents. i have an interview for Buckingham university today (its 35,000 a year as its independent so dont intend on going if i get a place) and using that as practice or any interviews i may get :smile:
where are you applying and how are you preparing?

Latest