AQA Physics iGCSE Paper 1 thoughts? Hard or Easy?? Watch

t.xavier17_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I thought that that paper was going to be really hard, but it turned out to be quite easy. I was quite surprised that there were 2 6 markers, but that's fine. And what did everyone put for the first 6 (Q6(a)) mark question on the radiator and the computer??
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree!
I thought it got easier as it went along; the first couple questions were a bit difficult in working out what exactly it wanted to know

For that 6 mark I put:
Metal in a good conductor
Black is a good emitter of infrared radiation
Tubes are at bottom of radiator for optimum convection
High surface area (to volume ratio) for lots of heat transfer to surroundings
High specific heat capacity so can store a lot of energy for heat transfer

I think that was about everything
Katiee01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did people get for the graph about terminal velocity? (2 marks)
t.xavier17_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pastelx)
I agree!
I thought it got easier as it went along; the first couple questions were a bit difficult in working out what exactly it wanted to know

For that 6 mark I put:
Metal in a good conductor
Black is a good emitter of infrared radiation
Tubes are at bottom of radiator for optimum convection
High surface area (to volume ratio) for lots of heat transfer to surroundings
High specific heat capacity so can store a lot of energy for heat transfer

I think that was about everything
oh crap i missed out the last two, so maybe I got 4 out of 6 but that's fine, do you reckon that the grade boundaries will be quite low for this test?? Or because the test was so easy the grade boundaries will be quite high??
t.xavier17_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katiee01)
What did people get for the graph about terminal velocity? (2 marks)
the graph goes down very quickly when the skydiver releases his parachute. So It's not a straight line but it should curve. And the gradient should be very steep.
Pastelx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by t.xavier17_)
oh crap i missed out the last two, so maybe I got 4 out of 6 but that's fine, do you reckon that the grade boundaries will be quite low for this test?? Or because the test was so easy the grade boundaries will be quite high??
I don't think physics boundaries can be too high because it's so hard! You really had to know your stuff for that exam (I happened to do the CGP practice paper yesterday which actually had questions such as that six mark in the exam, so I knew what to write from that mark scheme!)

I think 65/90 for A*? Maybe 67 but I doubt as high as 70...
Pastelx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the graph goes down very quickly when the skydiver releases his parachute. So It's not a straight line but it should curve. And the gradient should be very steep.
It doesn't reach the x axis does it? Because the question didn't state whether or not the parachutist reached the ground because if he did then there would also be a vertical line (perpendicular to the end of the last line) down to the x-axis?
Katiee01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
doesn't it then reach a new terminal velocity though
zainrazaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
doesn't it then reach a new terminal velocity though
Yup, that's what I did. I had a curved line going downwards at first and then plateauing as it reaches terminal velocity
Katiee01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zainrazaa)
Yup, that's what I did. I had a curved line going downwards at first and then plateauing as it reaches terminal velocity
thats what I thought! but all my friends just did the curve without levelling off... Hopefully we got the 2 marks
zainrazaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thats what I thought! but all my friends just did the curve without levelling off... Hopefully we got the 2 marks
I'm pretty confident that it's right
On another note, the grade boundaries were like 55/90 for an A and 64/90 for an A* last year.. It looks achievable
Katiee01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zainrazaa)
I'm pretty confident that it's right
On another note, the grade boundaries were like 55/90 for an A and 64/90 for an A* last year.. It looks achievable
Ahah great
I love the low grade boundaries in Physics, because I normally get a similar raw mark to all my other sciences.
One pp I did I only got 69/90 which I thought was bad but when I put it into UMS, was comfortably in the 100cap!
You aiming for 100UMS? Good luck with all the paper 2s btw
zainrazaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ahah great
I love the low grade boundaries in Physics, because I normally get a similar raw mark to all my other sciences.
One pp I did I only got 69/90 which I thought was bad but when I put it into UMS, was comfortably in the 100cap!
You aiming for 100UMS? Good luck with all the paper 2s btw
Yep! I think we can get there, as you said, the grade boundaries are really low thankfully. And good luck to you too
bennythebear27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can people remember which topics were in paper 1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.75%
No (244)
76.25%

Watched Threads