What's the silliest exam mistake you've ever made? Watch

Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Written the wrong name? Farted in the exam hall? Written answers for the wrong subject?

I once was stressed I called the invigilator mum :doh:didn't really help me focus on my exam!!

What's the silliest mistake you've ever made in an exam?

Rebellious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Accidentally answered the whole paper when I should have only answered parts of it (you had a choice of questions). Still got a decent grade though .
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The silliest and perhaps most crucial was made in a Cambridge admissions test on interview day. It consisted of two questions; the first was number theory, the second mechanics. I got basically nowhere in the first question but I thought I might be okay as I managed a full solution in the second question. Then when it came to the interview where we discussed this, it turned out I had modeled the motion of a falling particle under gravity as linear rather than parabolic, greatly trivializing the derivation of a certain identity.
tangled23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
The silliest and perhaps most crucial was made in a Cambridge admissions test on interview day. It consisted of two questions; the first was number theory, the second mechanics. I got basically nowhere in the first question but I thought I might be okay as I managed a full solution in the second question. Then when it came to the interview where we discussed this, it turned out I had modeled the motion of a falling particle under gravity as linear rather than parabolic, greatly trivializing the derivation of a certain identity.
did you get in?
math42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tangled23)
did you get in?
I didn't get an offer. Then again, STEP II and STEP III would probably have killed me, and given how lazy I've found myself to be in my degree so far, it might not have been the best fit lol.
username775001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thought GCSE exams meant something
IrrationalRoot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Took the sinh function to be sech for a whole question in STEP III, costing me an S (by one mark) I can't even try explain this.

In STEP I they defined a couple of sets S and T at the start of the Q. You did a couple of things with S and T. Then second part they asked something else about T. For the last half hour of the exam I got nowhere trying to do the Q regarding this set T that they mentioned again some as 'some general set' - apparently I had acquired amnesia halfway through the question. Also cost me an S (again by one mark).

I got trolled hard by my own brain.
frostfly
Report 2 years ago
Skipping the whole of part b) to C1, because part a) took me so long and after doing I thought I was finished with the whole question. So that's 4 marks down the drain...
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have had my moments, one that pops to head is saying that \sqrt{4^2 + 7^2} = 8.
username2569523
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Read the numbers in a question wrong and used the wrong read values in my answer. Apparently 3 is 33...wtf brain what you smoking??!
LennyBicknel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
I have had my moments, one that pops to head is saying that \sqrt{4^2 + 7^2} = 8.
Hate it when that happens. Tots relatable.
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
26/7 = 4 and 2/7

(MEI C1 2017 rhombus q if u can relate lol)

(formed basis of the whole question pretty much)
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh and 2 + 5 = 3
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Read numbers wrong lol
E_M_M_I_E
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Question: "What planet has the largest diameter?"

Answer: Pluto

It's been six months and I still look back in horror. Yep, I read largest as smallest.
username2110825
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrote about 2 pages of an A2 exam in Welsh.

...it was an English exam.
username2110825
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E_M_M_I_E)
Question: "What planet has the largest diameter?"

Answer: Pluto

It's been six months and I still look back in horror. Yep, I read largest as smallest.
I'm just pleased to see someone else still consider Pluto a planet :lol:
E_M_M_I_E
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SunlethSky)
I'm just pleased to see someone else still consider Pluto a planet :lol:
Just because I'm 4'10" doesn't make me any less of a human!! It doesn't make Pluto any less of a planet either! #SolidarityForPluto
asinghj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A stupid mistake i did just today was not changing my calculator to radians from degrees...
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I once left an exam early because I had to help Dracula rearrange his furniture. He desperately needed some help with his Fang-Shui.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (33)
19.19%
Labour (69)
40.12%
Liberal Democrats (35)
20.35%
Green Party (7)
4.07%
Brexit Party (4)
2.33%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.33%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.33%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (2)
1.16%
Other (2)
1.16%
None (12)
6.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise