lauran-l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can someone answer these questions about EPQs?! Im so confused!!
1) Do you have to pick a topic that is related to the subjects you area taking?
2) How did you pick your topic?
3) How difficult is it to do an EPQ?

Thanks!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lauran-l)
Can someone answer these questions about EPQs?! Im so confused!!
1) Do you have to pick a topic that is related to the subjects you area taking?
2) How did you pick your topic?
3) How difficult is it to do an EPQ?

Thanks!
Hi lauran-l,

1) Not necessarily! You are free to choose any topic you like, as long as you aren't studying it in any of your A Levels/other qualifications. However, if you have a university course in mind, for example, then selecting a topic that is related to that course can be useful, as it helps to demonstrate your enthusiasm and interest in the subject when you come to apply.
2) I chose my topic as it was related to the degree I wanted to study (geology). I chose to base my project on theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs, which allowed me to incorporate topics from geology, palaeontology, palaeoclimatology and so on.
3) An EPQ isn't particularly difficult in my opinion, however you do need to have a clear goal in mind that you want to achieve during your project (for example, to research the arguments for and against an issue in order to answer your title question, and then come to a conclusion), and be able to meet each deadline. If you stay on top of the work and get each section done in good time, then you should be fine
lauran-l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi lauran-l,

1) Not necessarily! You are free to choose any topic you like, as long as you aren't studying it in any of your A Levels/other qualifications. However, if you have a university course in mind, for example, then selecting a topic that is related to that course can be useful, as it helps to demonstrate your enthusiasm and interest in the subject when you come to apply.
2) I chose my topic as it was related to the degree I wanted to study (geology). I chose to base my project on theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs, which allowed me to incorporate topics from geology, palaeontology, palaeoclimatology and so on.
3) An EPQ isn't particularly difficult in my opinion, however you do need to have a clear goal in mind that you want to achieve during your project (for example, to research the arguments for and against an issue in order to answer your title question, and then come to a conclusion), and be able to meet each deadline. If you stay on top of the work and get each section done in good time, then you should be fine
Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently studying RS, Sociology and Classical Civilisations so I am wanting to do my EPQ on something relating to these (especially RS). But im finding it difficult to find something that i can research that doesnt clash!

Ill definitely go ahead with the EPQ then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads