The Student Room Group

Ocr 9-1 gcse maths 2017

Paper 1 Tomorrow
Paper 2 8th June
Paper 3 12th June
Just thought i'd make a maths thread for ocr

Scroll to see replies

Nothing too complicated in it, I just messed up the second last question about the quadratic equation for nth term of a sequence and the last one about the area under the graph.d
Original post by OllieMaclean
Nothing too complicated in it, I just messed up the second last question about the quadratic equation for nth term of a sequence and the last one about the area under the graph.d

Wait for the area under the curve,do they expect you to integrate the equation and apply limits? I'm not familiar with the new spec and I'd be surprised if they had integral calculus in it
Original post by novaswofter
Wait for the area under the curve,do they expect you to integrate the equation and apply limits? I'm not familiar with the new spec and I'd be surprised if they had integral calculus in it

No they just wanted you to divide it up and find the area
predicted grade boundaries? i found it relatively okay, only messed up on bearings and the C-D length question
Original post by aaron1050
predicted grade boundaries? i found it relatively okay, only messed up on bearings and the C-D length question

7 will probably be around 68-70% 8 around 80%, 9 around 88-90% and full UMS 95%, these are only predictions. Those questions were just about cosine and sine rules and another trigonometry. Cant remember the bearings answer but the C-D length was 62.4 or something.
Reply 6
7 will probably be around 68-70% 8 around 80%, 9 around 88-90% and full UMS 95%, these are only predictions. Those questions were just about cosine and sine rules and another trigonometry. Cant remember the bearings answer but the C-D length was 62.4 or something.

I got like 90.4 for that C-D length, cosine for the top angle and then sine rule?
Original post by novaswofter

In fact, an attempt using calculus would be marked wrong, as the question asks for an estimate.
Reply 8

50% of that paper was 7-9
7 55%
8 62%
9 80%

My teacher analysed the ocr boundaries took in lots of factors into account
8 will be 80% if we were doing old spec
Reply 9
Original post by HazzaJo
I got like 90.4 for that C-D length, cosine for the top angle and then sine rule?

Did you get 67.5mph for speed question?
Reply 10
Original post by AsianG99
Did you get 67.5mph for speed question?

Yeah, although the question was confusing. It did accelerate to 60 within 10 seconds, but not IN 10 seconds. Didn't know what to conclude.
Original post by HazzaJo
Yeah, although the question was confusing. It did accelerate to 60 within 10 seconds, but not IN 10 seconds. Didn't know what to conclude.

It asked if it was in 10 seconds (<10) so it was correct

The quadratic nth term and the particle question (area under graph) I found relatively easy. I messed up on the CD question and acceleration question (proving that the car accelerated to 60mph within 10 seconds). However, the rest of the test went pretty well.
Reply 13

"within" would've been a much better way of wording it, as I could also say "no, it accelerated to 67.5mph in 10 seconds". I always end up on the wrong side of 50/50s somehow haha
Reply 14

Original post by HazzaJo

I wrote 67.5mph but i didn't conclude it
Would i lose marks?
Would i lose marks?

Probably but only 1 or 2
Reply 16
Would i lose marks?

Tricky to guess really, wouldn't say you'd lose any more than 1 if any. My conclusion was that it reached 67.5 in the ten seconds, which probably isn't enough.
Reply 17
Original post by HazzaJo
Tricky to guess really, wouldn't say you'd lose any more than 1 if any. My conclusion was that it reached 67.5 in the ten seconds, which probably isn't enough.

Probably but only 1 or 2

Im hoping desperately for at least 60 on that paper
I think 68% will guarantee an 8
I'm gonna need to improve on the next papers
It's good there's 3 papers! Probably the only time you'd hear me say that
Im hoping desperately for at least 60 on that paper
I think 68% will guarantee an 8
I'm gonna need to improve on the next papers
It's good there's 3 papers! Probably the only time you'd hear me say that

I think u will need more than 68% to get an 8....
Reply 19
I think u will need more than 68% to get an 8....

80% for A* last year
But this year A-A* questions increased from 25% to 50%
Also we have more marks in the same allocated time
If you check ofquals latest percentages for maths for numbers to grades
8 will be an increase from 7 to 14%
So double the amount of people this year will get an 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending