Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've got Learning the Law by Glanville Williams (revised) and the Law Machine by Berlins and Dyer....

......anyone got any advice on which one I should read first? I'm not an expert on Law, but I know the basics. Is one of them more 'easy going' than the other? Does one provide foundations for the other one etc etc

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    So I've got Learning the Law by Glanville Williams (revised) and the Law Machine by Berlins and Dyer....

......anyone got any advice on which one I should read first? I'm not an expert on Law, but I know the basics. Is one of them more 'easy going' than the other? Does one provide foundations for the other one etc etc

Thanks.
    They're both introductory books and I imagine they cover the same things. I hear Glanville's a little heavier going though. Try them both at the same time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading a chapter from one and then a chapter from the other. In fact, it would probably be better if you did it this way.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Well i know that most unis recommend if you do some early readin that you read Glanville Williams...but i tried and failed...it really is tough going to read it. Not sure about the other one I'm afraid.

Are you applying/have you applied for law then? If so where?

G

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both, I'll probably try that one chapter each idea.

I'm applying for Law this year - just getting my peronal statement ready and I wanted to say I'd read both these books, but obviously I couldn't write it without reading them - I've had them both for ages and just haven't got round to it. Oh, and I'm applying to the 'top tier' universities.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both, I'll probably try that one chapter each idea.

I'm applying for Law this year - just getting my peronal statement ready and I wanted to say I'd read both these books, but obviously I couldn't write it without reading them - I've had them both for ages and just haven't got round to it. Oh, and I'm applying to the 'top tier' universities.
    Nice one.....which of the 'big two'???

I wrote in my PS that i'd done some reading on law, and they did ask me about it in interview...so it was good that i'd read the chapter on law and morality the same morning

G

ReputationRep:
    gzftan - are you already at uni? Where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Nice one.....which of the 'big two'???
    The 'big two'? I know of no such Unis. Although, on a completely unconnected note, I always want Cambridge to win the boat race, nudge nudge wink wink.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to say I'd read both these books, but obviously I couldn't write it without reading them.
    Said who?

I've got some reading to do too - seeing as I've already put two books on my PS.

Which unis are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    gzftan - are you already at uni? Where?
    Starting in October at Cambridge! I'm soooooo looking fwd to it now!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    The 'big two'? I know of no such Unis. Although, on a completely unconnected note, I always want Cambridge to win the boat race, nudge nudge wink wink.
    Hehe...i getcha!! *nudge*nudge*

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Said who?

I've got some reading to do too - seeing as I've already put two books on my PS.

Which unis are you thinking of applying to?
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Leeds
    Warwick
    and A.N.Other *cough* boat race *cough*

ReputationRep:
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Leeds
    Warwick
    Very good list...what about you rob?? I'm sure you've said beofre but i forgot

G

ReputationRep:
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Leeds
    Warwick
    Sounds good. Not a fan of the London trio though?

I'll probably go for

LSE
    UCL
    KCL
    Nottingham
    Leeds
    ...:confused:

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....14&postcount=3

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't live in London. Could neeeeeeever live in London, so I never considered the 'London Three'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Have a look at this:
    Ahhhhhh....thank you.

(could've told me that before I bought the book though.... )

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this:
    Hehe, and I was expecting a shameless plug too! The two that I've put down (and that I'm yet to read) are 'How to Study Law' and 'Learning the Law'. ()

ReputationRep:

I'll probably go for

LSE
    UCL
    KCL
    Nottingham
    Leeds
    ...:confused:
    Ahh, you are an enlightened spirit my friend.

ReputationRep:
    'Learning the Law'. ()
    Who's that one by?? I think that's the one i read

G

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, you are an enlightened spirit my friend.
    It would be a toughie choosing between LSE and UCL, but then maybe I shouldn't talk in these terms...seeing as probability is stacked against such a happening!

I'd be happy at anywhere on the list though, really. They're all nice party places (apart from maybe one).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.