The Student Room Group

i really don't know if its obsession or addiction

well here is what I've been going through in the last couple of yrs since 2013 i was introduced to an app by my friend we are still friends till this not as close anyway she told me about this app as another way to keep in contact cause she had moved away at the time so i downloaded this app called skout didn't know what this app was about wanted to know more turned out it was more of a meet people online chat site so i didn't want to use my pic so i used another person pic that i knew she's very pretty so i said why not it was fun and weird at the same time i was real young wasn't used to speaking to boys online or the phone and they gave a lot of compliments and i felt popular so my ego was really up i said cocky things on the statuses and some one banned me on there so i was upset so i was trying ways to get the app back but once your banned you can't make a new one on your phone so later year that i got a new phone as a gift from your sister ... so i downloaded the app again this time i got through so i used a pic of another girl this time its someone i was in high school with she's very popular so i used her pics and of course i got the same attention so now i gave my number spoke to these guys and I'm still doing the cat fishing it became addictive and i got obsessed over the girl too so i don't know what to do anymore on how to stop its been depressing because the two main guys i spoke to can't get over her and we developed a relationship through the phone one keep pressing to see me and we never facetimed because i always denying and other guy i speak to he's controlling and disrespectful always want nudes so i have to search on the web to find to keep up with the lies this really became depressing and took over my life can someone tell me ways how to let this addiction and obsession go i tried on my own and its hard its really like a drug smh
Why do you fail to use paragraphs and full stops? ... does not count.
People will not read whatever it is you wrote and presumably that is what you want? Maybe put some in?
(edited 6 years ago)
So as a summary you've become addicted to catfishing? You need to stop, it's not fair on the people you're messing with, at all.

If you can't do it in your own right, then uninstall the app, or get yourself banned so you aren't tempted. If you're really struggling with this obsession, maybe there's some underlying issue you should talk to someone about too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Why do you fail to use paragraphs and full stops? ... does not count.
People will not read whatever it is you wrote and presumably that is what you want? Maybe put some in?

Didn't think inputting paragraphs matter if someone wants to reply my problem that's fine if they don't that's fine too
Original post by Anonymous
well here is what I've been going through in the last couple of yrs since 2013 i was introduced to an app by my friend we are still friends till this not as close anyway she told me about this app as another way to keep in contact cause she had moved away at the time so i downloaded this app called skout didn't know what this app was about wanted to know more turned out it was more of a meet people online chat site so i didn't want to use my pic so i used another person pic that i knew she's very pretty so i said why not it was fun and weird at the same time i was real young wasn't used to speaking to boys online or the phone and they gave a lot of compliments and i felt popular so my ego was really up i said cocky things on the statuses and some one banned me on there so i was upset so i was trying ways to get the app back but once your banned you can't make a new one on your phone so later year that i got a new phone as a gift from your sister ... so i downloaded the app again this time i got through so i used a pic of another girl this time its someone i was in high school with she's very popular so i used her pics and of course i got the same attention so now i gave my number spoke to these guys and I'm still doing the cat fishing it became addictive and i got obsessed over the girl too so i don't know what to do anymore on how to stop its been depressing because the two main guys i spoke to can't get over her and we developed a relationship through the phone one keep pressing to see me and we never facetimed because i always denying and other guy i speak to he's controlling and disrespectful always want nudes so i have to search on the web to find to keep up with the lies this really became depressing and took over my life can someone tell me ways how to let this addiction and obsession go i tried on my own and its hard its really like a drug smh

It is really depressing because there's no way these people who are now invested in your personality can be friends with you because you've told such a massive lie.

You just need to stop. Delete the app. Focus on living your real life- step away from the internet and get out and do things with your real friends.

Even get a brick phone so that you can still be in touch with the people that actually matter but even if you're tempted you can't get into another stupid mess like this.
And ....... breathe.
Didn't think inputting paragraphs matter if someone wants to reply my problem that's fine if they don't that's fine too

Think you will find the rest of the world uses paragraphs and full stops. You will get far fewer replies, but as you say you don't care. SMH.
Reply 7
You'll snap out of it when you realise you've got nowhere in your real life.
Reply 8
You're more likely to be taken seriously and get meaningful responses if you put the effort in to make it easy to understand. I can't even read what you've written, it's just nonsense.
Reply 9
This isn't school what doesn't make sense to you make will make sense to others ,ok I have errors and no paragraphs no one is perfect. Was only trying to seek help not be insulted.
Original post by Tootles
You're more likely to be taken seriously and get meaningful responses if you put the effort in to make it easy to understand. I can't even read what you've written, it's just nonsense.
This isn't school what doesn't make sense to you make will make sense to others ,ok I have errors and no paragraphs no one is perfect. Was only trying to seek help not be insulted.
Who cares whether it's school or not? Saying 'no one is perfect' is just making an excuse for not putting any effort into making what you're saying easy to read - and if you're asking for advice, people being able to read what you've written is kind of a requirement.

Also, I wasn't insulting you. I was pointing out that what you wrote was illegible. They teach you spelling, grammar, and punctuation at school so that you can use it outside of school.

In case you find my writing/formatting too hard to understand:

it doesnt matter wther your writtng for scool or not lol you just have 2 try man no wot i meenz like if ujust rite a big wrol of badly rittun werdz den itz hard for peeps to understand lol espeshully if u juz keep ritttng long sentsis wivout pawses sos the ppl tryna reed what yor askin dnt have a clue wot ya tryna say no wot i meeeens lol and its a bt ov an excus to just sai oh but nobodys perfect bcuz yeah no1 is lol but u has 2 try innit uvawyz if yas tryna ask peepl for halp u need to mek yurslf cleer uvawyz no ***a will no wot yor woflin onabut and if dey dont u wont get any fxin help wv ya probs n ul just gt ignoord n u dnt wont that DOOOOO YA?!?!?!
mhm thank wise guy there's no edit option on here your advice comments w.e isn't needed lol bye
Original post by Tootles
Who cares whether it's school or not? Saying 'no one is perfect' is just making an excuse for not putting any effort into making what you're saying easy to read - and if you're asking for advice, people being able to read what you've written is kind of a requirement.

Also, I wasn't insulting you. I was pointing out that what you wrote was illegible. They teach you spelling, grammar, and punctuation at school so that you can use it outside of school.

In case you find my writing/formatting too hard to understand:

it doesnt matter wther your writtng for scool or not lol you just have 2 try man no wot i meenz like if ujust rite a big wrol of badly rittun werdz den itz hard for peeps to understand lol espeshully if u juz keep ritttng long sentsis wivout pawses sos the ppl tryna reed what yor askin dnt have a clue wot ya tryna say no wot i meeeens lol and its a bt ov an excus to just sai oh but nobodys perfect bcuz yeah no1 is lol but u has 2 try innit uvawyz if yas tryna ask peepl for halp u need to mek yurslf cleer uvawyz no ***a will no wot yor woflin onabut and if dey dont u wont get any fxin help wv ya probs n ul just gt ignoord n u dnt wont that DOOOOO YA?!?!?!
mhm thank wise guy there's no edit option on here your advice comments w.e isn't needed lol bye
Allow me to cordially invite you to closely examine all these ****s I give:

Spoiler

Ignore the people making a big deal about paragraphs it's not the end of the world.

As for your issue, you really need to stop this, it's not fair on the people who become attached to "you" and it's just so deceitful, you don't need to pretend to be someone you're not! Just accept and love yourself, learn that all these boys you're talking to don't like you for you because you're actually deceiving them.

Honestly I'd advise you to take time off any social media you've catfished on, and like maybe post a public status on each app admitting you're a catfish to come clean to everyone at once. After that just try your hardest to stop, it sounds like you have some deep set self-esteem issues, if you think this is an addiction maybe see a therapist?
Thanks a lot i appreciate what you said ur spot on about the self esteem issues i will take ur advice serious on saying the truth coming clean..
Original post by _princessxox
Ignore the people making a big deal about paragraphs it's not the end of the world.

As for your issue, you really need to stop this, it's not fair on the people who become attached to "you" and it's just so deceitful, you don't need to pretend to be someone you're not! Just accept and love yourself, learn that all these boys you're talking to don't like you for you because you're actually deceiving them.

Honestly I'd advise you to take time off any social media you've catfished on, and like maybe post a public status on each app admitting you're a catfish to come clean to everyone at once. After that just try your hardest to stop, it sounds like you have some deep set self-esteem issues, if you think this is an addiction maybe see a therapist?

Quick Reply

Latest