The Student Room Group

Why on earth would you not vote labour?

Saw someone comment this on FB and thought it was worth sharing:

LABOUR MANIFESTO POLICIES (Inc. COSTS). [UPDATED]

It's YOUR RIGHT to vote! People DIED for it! So REGISTER to VOTE, so you can have the RIGHT to ALL this! :smile:

1.) £10 minimum wage.
2.) No increase in N.I. or Income Tax if earning less than £80k a year (those earning slightly above receiving a modest increase - 5% of the working populace).
3.) Scrapping tuition fees.
4.) Scrapping NHS car parking charges.
5.) Bringing the NHS back into public ownership.
6.) Reversing cuts to Corporation/Capital Gains Tax, which will recoup billions, basically by getting Amazon/Google/Media/Press Organizations/McD's etc to pay a bit extra tax (small businesses are protected through the N.I.B. - see No. 7 below).
7.) Creation of National Investment Bank (N.I.B.) to allow revenues to return to the economy.
8.) Nationalised Rail Network.
9.) Nationalised Energy Company using renewables as source.
10.) Increase funding for the conventional Armed Forces, and keeping Trident.
11.) 4 extra public Bank Holidays.
12.) Free school meals for all primary school kids - funded by slightly raised taxes from private schools.
13.) Protecting the triple-lock pensions.
14.) Renationalisation of the Royal Mail, and creation of Post Bank.
15.) Reversal of cuts to the disabled.
16.) Scrapping the Bedroom Tax.
17.) Scrapping Benefits Sanctions.
18.) Creation of a National Education Service - including access to Further and Higher Education, free at the point of use for all.
19.) Creation of a Tourism Dept. responsible for promoting and increasing growth in a lucrative industry that increases revenue.
20.) Tackling illegal and aggressive tax evasion/avoidance, fines to businesses using unethical practices or trading with unethical states, and prompter payments of fines to small businesses by the bigger ones.

COSTS:

The total cost to implement will be roughly £80/90bn. Just to put that into perspective, the Tories have spent over £700bn. so far, and our national debt is now in the trillions. So if we can afford the past 7 years of them BORROWING ALL THAT AND FAILING ALL OF THEIR COMMITMENTS, then I reckon this is really pretty easy to afford if you ask me. And I'd be saying the same even if I was earning just over £80k! Truly!

Why?

Because I'm getting education and an improved workforce.
Because I'm getting better roads.
Because I'm getting better transport.
Because I'm getting a better health service.
Because I'm getting better investment opportunities.
Because I'm getting cleaner energy.
Because I'm getting extra Police on the streets to keep me safe.
Because my future kids will get free hot school meals.
Because I'll get FOUR EXTRA public Bank Holidays!
Because I know Pensions will be protected.
Because I know our National Security will be safer.
Because I know I won't have to worry about hospital parking charges if I ever have a partner giving birth.

But then again, it's also because I'm not an un-empathetic, self-centered, greedy individual - I want these things for everyone else too!

Am I wrong about you Tory voters who might be reading this?

If so, then why would you NOT vote for this? Why would you instead vote for a political party guilty of fraud and currently under several investigations by the U.N. for violations against disabled people? A party who kicked off this election and with no manifesto in sight? A party who blamed the E.U. for 'interfering with the election', even though the election didn't need to be called in the first place? An election they said they WOULDN'T call 'til 2020? A political party that thinks THEIR NEW POLICIES WILL BE ATTRACTIVE TO VOTERS? Policies like these for instance??

TORY POLICIES (Inc. COSTS): [UPDATED]

1.) Scrap free school meals for infants.
2.) End Universal Winter Fuel Payments.
3.) End triple lock promise to pensioners.
4.) End promise not to raise VAT.
5.) End promise not to raise Income Tax.
6.) End promise not to raise National Insurance.
7.) Open up more grammar schools.
8.) Hold a vote on legalising fox-hunting.
9.) Continue with Rape Form for Benefits.
10.) Lift ban on Elephant Ivory.
11.) Introduce a cap on energy prices, which the Tories say is a great idea or a joke, depending on what year it is...

Plus their ongoing policies to...

1.) Turn the NHS completely into a private enterprise.
2.) Further austerity measures to make the incredibly wealthy incredibly wealthier.
3.) Great Repeal Bill.
4.) Snoopers Charter.
5.) Further bombs destroying people in Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria/Yemen courtesy of our Saudi Warlords.
6.) Commit fraud against 27 countries of the E.U., leaving us with nobody on the planet wanting to trade with us afterwards (Hard Brexit).

COSTS

?

CONCLUSION

I'd love to know. I mean, seriously? Which of those Tory policies above would you actually find MORE ATTRACTIVE than the FULL-MONTY FROM LABOUR??

You know I make sense.

Why vote Tory?

Vote Labour and actually IMPROVE OUR country and OUR economy!
For the many, not the few! X

Scroll to see replies

Because they make me sick.
Reply 2
I vote tory because I have the right to vote who I want? What if I support those policies that you listed, noting that so many were withheld, and who'd want a pensioner ostritch who should be cashing in on a care home as Prime Minister? He's a terrorist sympathizer, which is everything we don't need rn.
Reply 3
jeremy-corbyn-hes-not-just-electable-hes-delectable.jpg
Put yourself in the mind of Nob, the Working Class Tory:

Nob votes Tory because the newspaper tells him to. Nob believes that the status quo will preserve his employment rights, wage, and benefits, and so will not push any boundaries. Because Nob has been living in the media's skewed world, Nob believes that any threat to the status quo is the enemy.

Nob doesn't follow every single twist and turn in Westminster - instead, he pays attention to the news around election time. This election will be a different affair thankfully because, due to General Election broadcasting rules, Corbyn and the gang are being given some impartial broadcasting time.

Labour has all the pluses going into this election; an honest leader who, for some reason, people perceive as weak, a popular manifesto (if a little 1970s-ish, nationalisation is too regressive, and Corbyn should consider Public-Private Partnerships instead), and the strongest surge of registered young voters in decades.

However, don't put all your eggs in one basket because Nob and the grey area voters may screw us all over.
Corbyn is a terrible leader.
Original post by Rebellious

Are you going to back up your statement, or...?

Also, I'd rather a terrible leader at the head of our country than a terrible person.
Original post by Rebellious

Spotted the Daily Mail reader
How deluded does someone have to be to think that all the policies will only cost £80/90 billion i mean come on seriously.............

Labours communist policies of nationalisation of everything and wage caps as well as continuing rising of the national minimum wage(i mean seriously how much do you want to pay somebody for doing a minimum skilled job) will cripple the Uk economy by discouraging any sort of growth and they will cause mass job losses.

Labours policies are not feasible in the slightest and they are only saying what everyone wants to hear.

The real question is Why in the hell would anyone vote Labour?
(edited 6 years ago)
Because more likely than not Labour would probably go back on some promises.
Why not vote Labour?

Because the Labour leader is a confirmed supporter of Irish republican and Islamic terrorism.

Obviously, there are British people out there stupid enough to vote for a **** who supports organisation that targeted British people for death.

Thankfully, not many.

Oh, and Diane Abbott one rather large reason to never vote Labour.
Labour has done **** all for Wales, which is meant to be its birthplace and stronghold. If they can't be trusted to not mess things up in their own base, what makes you think they're going to do any better with the whole country at Corbyn's disposal?

#Plaid for me.
Reply 12
Can't vote because I'm 17 but my family votes Tory :biggrin: Personally labour's promises look good, but then I do wonder where they'll get the money to pay for them from :dontknow: might mean that the people stuck in the middle of society get taxed heaps while the country falls into debt :frown: I'm all for their ideas as long as they actually say how they're going to fund them :tongue:

In terms of free tuition that wouldn't be a factor for me as I'm looking at two, possibly three Scottish/welsh universities :tongue:
Original post by clumsyorange
Are you going to back up your statement, or...?

Also, I'd rather a terrible leader at the head of our country than a terrible person.

He doesn't act like a prime minister, he acts like a protest group or trade union leader. He can't count on the support of the majority of his MPs and a large section of the Labour Party, so how can he seen as electable?

Why do you think that May is a terrible person?

Original post by Cupholder
Spotted the Daily Mail reader

I never read the Daily Mail.
The real alternative is to vote Green.

Jeremy Corbyn also thinks it acceptable to lead a party that whitewashes over the issue that a number of people in his party are anti-Semitic.
Original post by joe cooley
Why not vote Labour?

Because the Labour leader is a confirmed supporter of Irish republican and Islamic terrorism.

Obviously, there are British people out there stupid enough to vote for a **** who supports organisation that targeted British people for death.

Thankfully, not many.

Oh, and Diane Abbott one rather large reason to never vote Labour.

That's a double-edged sword; the Tory party were happy to let a counselor stand for election who was an IRA member during The Troubles (Maria Gatland, current serving Conservative counselor for Croydon).

Dianne Abbott can easily be ousted by popular opinion, after all it is Labour who are standing for real democratic values - they would listen to the people if they said they had a significant problem with her.
Original post by Cupholder
That's a double-edged sword; the Tory party were happy to let a counselor stand for election who was an IRA member during The Troubles (Maria Gatland, current serving Conservative counselor for Croydon).

Dianne Abbott can easily be ousted by popular opinion, after all it is Labour who are standing for real democratic values - they would listen to the people if they said they had a significant problem with her.

Care to point out when i have ever recommended people should vote Tory?

Tory, Labour are cheeks on the same progressive arse.

Only difference?

The Labour leader was and is a supporter of a terror organisation that targeted British people for death.
IMG_0455.JPG
Original post by pizza99
Saw someone comment this on FB and thought it was worth sharing:

LABOUR MANIFESTO POLICIES (Inc. COSTS). [UPDATED]

It's YOUR RIGHT to vote! People DIED for it! So REGISTER to VOTE, so you can have the RIGHT to ALL this! :smile:

1.) £10 minimum wage.
2.) No increase in N.I. or Income Tax if earning less than £80k a year (those earning slightly above receiving a modest increase - 5% of the working populace).
3.) Scrapping tuition fees.
4.) Scrapping NHS car parking charges.
5.) Bringing the NHS back into public ownership.
6.) Reversing cuts to Corporation/Capital Gains Tax, which will recoup billions, basically by getting Amazon/Google/Media/Press Organizations/McD's etc to pay a bit extra tax (small businesses are protected through the N.I.B. - see No. 7 below).
7.) Creation of National Investment Bank (N.I.B.) to allow revenues to return to the economy.
8.) Nationalised Rail Network.
9.) Nationalised Energy Company using renewables as source.
10.) Increase funding for the conventional Armed Forces, and keeping Trident.
11.) 4 extra public Bank Holidays.
12.) Free school meals for all primary school kids - funded by slightly raised taxes from private schools.
13.) Protecting the triple-lock pensions.
14.) Renationalisation of the Royal Mail, and creation of Post Bank.
15.) Reversal of cuts to the disabled.
16.) Scrapping the Bedroom Tax.
17.) Scrapping Benefits Sanctions.
18.) Creation of a National Education Service - including access to Further and Higher Education, free at the point of use for all.
19.) Creation of a Tourism Dept. responsible for promoting and increasing growth in a lucrative industry that increases revenue.
20.) Tackling illegal and aggressive tax evasion/avoidance, fines to businesses using unethical practices or trading with unethical states, and prompter payments of fines to small businesses by the bigger ones.

COSTS:

The total cost to implement will be roughly £80/90bn. Just to put that into perspective, the Tories have spent over £700bn. so far, and our national debt is now in the trillions. So if we can afford the past 7 years of them BORROWING ALL THAT AND FAILING ALL OF THEIR COMMITMENTS, then I reckon this is really pretty easy to afford if you ask me. And I'd be saying the same even if I was earning just over £80k! Truly!

Why?

Because I'm getting education and an improved workforce.
Because I'm getting better roads.
Because I'm getting better transport.
Because I'm getting a better health service.
Because I'm getting better investment opportunities.
Because I'm getting cleaner energy.
Because I'm getting extra Police on the streets to keep me safe.
Because my future kids will get free hot school meals.
Because I'll get FOUR EXTRA public Bank Holidays!
Because I know Pensions will be protected.
Because I know our National Security will be safer.
Because I know I won't have to worry about hospital parking charges if I ever have a partner giving birth.

But then again, it's also because I'm not an un-empathetic, self-centered, greedy individual - I want these things for everyone else too!

Am I wrong about you Tory voters who might be reading this?

If so, then why would you NOT vote for this? Why would you instead vote for a political party guilty of fraud and currently under several investigations by the U.N. for violations against disabled people? A party who kicked off this election and with no manifesto in sight? A party who blamed the E.U. for 'interfering with the election', even though the election didn't need to be called in the first place? An election they said they WOULDN'T call 'til 2020? A political party that thinks THEIR NEW POLICIES WILL BE ATTRACTIVE TO VOTERS? Policies like these for instance??

TORY POLICIES (Inc. COSTS): [UPDATED]

1.) Scrap free school meals for infants.
2.) End Universal Winter Fuel Payments.
3.) End triple lock promise to pensioners.
4.) End promise not to raise VAT.
5.) End promise not to raise Income Tax.
6.) End promise not to raise National Insurance.
7.) Open up more grammar schools.
8.) Hold a vote on legalising fox-hunting.
9.) Continue with Rape Form for Benefits.
10.) Lift ban on Elephant Ivory.
11.) Introduce a cap on energy prices, which the Tories say is a great idea or a joke, depending on what year it is...

Plus their ongoing policies to...

1.) Turn the NHS completely into a private enterprise.
2.) Further austerity measures to make the incredibly wealthy incredibly wealthier.
3.) Great Repeal Bill.
4.) Snoopers Charter.
5.) Further bombs destroying people in Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria/Yemen courtesy of our Saudi Warlords.
6.) Commit fraud against 27 countries of the E.U., leaving us with nobody on the planet wanting to trade with us afterwards (Hard Brexit).

COSTS

?

CONCLUSION

I'd love to know. I mean, seriously? Which of those Tory policies above would you actually find MORE ATTRACTIVE than the FULL-MONTY FROM LABOUR??

You know I make sense.

Why vote Tory?

Vote Labour and actually IMPROVE OUR country and OUR economy!
For the many, not the few! X

Because nationalisation is hilariously stupid. No part of the government is efficient and making more things nationalised is ensuring chaos. And the NHS needs to be privatised because it's beyond repair.

If you vote Labour, you clearly have no idea what you're actually voting for.
Original post by joe cooley
Care to point out when i have ever recommended people should vote Tory?

Tory, Labour are cheeks on the same progressive arse.

Only difference?

The Labour leader was and is a supporter of a terror organisation that targeted British people for death.

Never attacked your post on the premise that it was telling people which way to vote. I was pointing out that the IRA statement was 1 - 1 based on the fact that both parties are guilty of fraternising with them.

The two party system is inherently flawed, it's failed the entire country democratically in the sense that one of the primary reasons individuals vote is to 'keep the other guy out of power'.

Quick Reply

Latest