Why on earth would you not vote labour? Watch

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i read the list of wonderful promises.... then i remember Jeremy and Diane and i feel sad.
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are they still promising to keep the Nuclear Sub fleet, sailing around, but without the Trident missiles?

That was a cracking policy, even for Labour...
alexriversxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nowhere near an expert in politics but the reason I'm not voting labour, and am instead voting tory is because I think that labour are an idealistic party and seem to have thrown in everything that they think people would want to hear in a manifesto without really showing any proper plan as to how backing up these promises won't leave this country as bankrupt as it is.
Max12121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
Nationalisation of key infrastructure is not necessarily a communist policy at all - it's actually quite common in the developed world. None of Labour's policies are "communist", you and everyone else who describes them as such need to stop abusing that word. It's as stupid as calling right wing parties "fascist" simply because they want to leave the EU and restrict immigration.
I think you need to stop hiding from the truth .Increasing the pay of minimum skilled jobs and capping/lowering high skilled jobs is communist ideology.It is a one way road to numerous economic issues and huge job losses.

The nationalisation of everything in a country is communist, what "developed" country has nationalised everything.

Jeremy is been praised/backed and by communist party/organisations and he has not once condemned that.In fact the main communist party are not fielding any candidates this election because they feel that Jeremy and Labour represent them.
And in fact Jeremy Corbyn has praised communists
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

That's why
Jimbo1234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pizza99)
Saw someone comment this on FB and thought it was worth sharing:

LABOUR MANIFESTO POLICIES (Inc. COSTS). [UPDATED]

It's YOUR RIGHT to vote! People DIED for it! So REGISTER to VOTE, so you can have the RIGHT to ALL this!

1.) £10 minimum wage.
2.) No increase in N.I. or Income Tax if earning less than £80k a year (those earning slightly above receiving a modest increase - 5% of the working populace).
3.) Scrapping tuition fees.
4.) Scrapping NHS car parking charges.
5.) Bringing the NHS back into public ownership.
6.) Reversing cuts to Corporation/Capital Gains Tax, which will recoup billions, basically by getting Amazon/Google/Media/Press Organizations/McD's etc to pay a bit extra tax (small businesses are protected through the N.I.B. - see No. 7 below).
7.) Creation of National Investment Bank (N.I.B.) to allow revenues to return to the economy.
8.) Nationalised Rail Network.
9.) Nationalised Energy Company using renewables as source.
10.) Increase funding for the conventional Armed Forces, and keeping Trident.
11.) 4 extra public Bank Holidays.
12.) Free school meals for all primary school kids - funded by slightly raised taxes from private schools.
13.) Protecting the triple-lock pensions.
14.) Renationalisation of the Royal Mail, and creation of Post Bank.
15.) Reversal of cuts to the disabled.
16.) Scrapping the Bedroom Tax.
17.) Scrapping Benefits Sanctions.
18.) Creation of a National Education Service - including access to Further and Higher Education, free at the point of use for all.
19.) Creation of a Tourism Dept. responsible for promoting and increasing growth in a lucrative industry that increases revenue.
20.) Tackling illegal and aggressive tax evasion/avoidance, fines to businesses using unethical practices or trading with unethical states, and prompter payments of fines to small businesses by the bigger ones.

COSTS:

The total cost to implement will be roughly £80/90bn. Just to put that into perspective, the Tories have spent over £700bn. so far, and our national debt is now in the trillions. So if we can afford the past 7 years of them BORROWING ALL THAT AND FAILING ALL OF THEIR COMMITMENTS, then I reckon this is really pretty easy to afford if you ask me. And I'd be saying the same even if I was earning just over £80k! Truly!

Why?

Because I'm getting education and an improved workforce.
Because I'm getting better roads.
Because I'm getting better transport.
Because I'm getting a better health service.
Because I'm getting better investment opportunities.
Because I'm getting cleaner energy.
Because I'm getting extra Police on the streets to keep me safe.
Because my future kids will get free hot school meals.
Because I'll get FOUR EXTRA public Bank Holidays!
Because I know Pensions will be protected.
Because I know our National Security will be safer.
Because I know I won't have to worry about hospital parking charges if I ever have a partner giving birth.

But then again, it's also because I'm not an un-empathetic, self-centered, greedy individual - I want these things for everyone else too!

Am I wrong about you Tory voters who might be reading this?

If so, then why would you NOT vote for this? Why would you instead vote for a political party guilty of fraud and currently under several investigations by the U.N. for violations against disabled people? A party who kicked off this election and with no manifesto in sight? A party who blamed the E.U. for 'interfering with the election', even though the election didn't need to be called in the first place? An election they said they WOULDN'T call 'til 2020? A political party that thinks THEIR NEW POLICIES WILL BE ATTRACTIVE TO VOTERS? Policies like these for instance??

TORY POLICIES (Inc. COSTS): [UPDATED]

1.) Scrap free school meals for infants.
2.) End Universal Winter Fuel Payments.
3.) End triple lock promise to pensioners.
4.) End promise not to raise VAT.
5.) End promise not to raise Income Tax.
6.) End promise not to raise National Insurance.
7.) Open up more grammar schools.
8.) Hold a vote on legalising fox-hunting.
9.) Continue with Rape Form for Benefits.
10.) Lift ban on Elephant Ivory.
11.) Introduce a cap on energy prices, which the Tories say is a great idea or a joke, depending on what year it is...

Plus their ongoing policies to...

1.) Turn the NHS completely into a private enterprise.
2.) Further austerity measures to make the incredibly wealthy incredibly wealthier.
3.) Great Repeal Bill.
4.) Snoopers Charter.
5.) Further bombs destroying people in Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria/Yemen courtesy of our Saudi Warlords.
6.) Commit fraud against 27 countries of the E.U., leaving us with nobody on the planet wanting to trade with us afterwards (Hard Brexit).

COSTS

?

CONCLUSION

I'd love to know. I mean, seriously? Which of those Tory policies above would you actually find MORE ATTRACTIVE than the FULL-MONTY FROM LABOUR??

You know I make sense.

Why vote Tory?

Vote Labour and actually IMPROVE OUR country and OUR economy!
For the many, not the few! X

Because Labour are economically illiterate and ignore past history.
- Nationalization doesn't work
- £80k a year if **** all. This shows how naive the youth are. Go look at the average rent in London and tell me £80k is a lot.
-Who is going to pay for all these policies? Because tax the rich and raising corp tax doesn't work. The rich leave and companies hide money. Just look at the USA.

You're all living in a fantasy land and are economically illiterate. You are as bad as Trump voters and ironically will get battered by Labours policies.
Max12121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Because Labour are economically illiterate and ignore past history.
- Nationalization doesn't work
- £80k a year if **** all. This shows how naive the youth are. Go look at the average rent in London and tell me £80k is a lot.
-Who is going to pay for all these policies? Because tax the rich and raising corp tax doesn't work. The rich leave and companies hide money. Just look at the USA.

You're all living in a fantasy land and are economically illiterate. You are as bad as Trump voters and ironically will get battered by Labours policies.
Exactly.Do people really think that these large TNCs and multinationals based in the UK are going to want to stay when Jeremy's deluded policies take place.
tbeyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joe cooley)
So, if i compile a list of Labour's anti-semitic problems that means the Labour party are racist too.

Yes?
I'm afraid its a bit more complicated than that Joe, like for example, the definition of 'Conservative' after all is 'to'hold traditional values', this includes racists values, and this goes back to the 1970s and even before. I know there have been reports of anti-semitic activity in the labour party, there has also been the same reports in the conservative party too, but clearly labour is against it since they suspended all the people who took part in that, yet at least 1 racist conservative prime minster have existed that i know of.
tbeyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alexriversxx)
Nowhere near an expert in politics but the reason I'm not voting labour, and am instead voting tory is because I think that labour are an idealistic party and seem to have thrown in everything that they think people would want to hear in a manifesto without really showing any proper plan as to how backing up these promises won't leave this country as bankrupt as it is.
Have you read Labour's manifesto? How can they be idealistic when they do in fact have a realistic plan. And you're voting conservatives because of that... yet their manifesto is waaaaaaay more untrustworthy, and doesn't even have a valid cost plan. Tory promised they'd get us out of debt in 10 years - 10 years ago, and it has since doubled, honestly, it's time to give someone else a try, because i can guarantee if they win, we will be in even more debt which will make life harder for everyone in britain.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Max12121)
I think you need to stop hiding from the truth .Increasing the pay of minimum skilled jobs and capping/lowering high skilled jobs is communist ideology.It is a one way road to numerous economic issues and huge job losses.

The nationalisation of everything in a country is communist, what "developed" country has nationalised everything.

Jeremy is been praised/backed and by communist party/organisations and he has not once condemned that.In fact the main communist party are not fielding any candidates this election because they feel that Jeremy and Labour represent them.
And in fact Jeremy Corbyn has praised communists
Corbyn is not calling for "nationalisation of everything", just a few things. And no, that is not "communist". Neither is increasing the minimum wage. Not everything left wing is "communist" you know. There are loads of different degrees of left wing (and right wing, for that matter). And the nationalisation of the railways is even supported by a majority of Conservative voters according to some polls, despite them being a very right wing party. It's nowhere near as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Criticise him all you want, but the claim that his policy is "communist" is just factually inaccurate.
HeroineMalfoy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think I'll just avoid the voting then... I have no idea which party is more trustworthy...
Max12121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
Corbyn is not calling for "nationalisation of everything", just a few things. And no, that is not "communist". Neither is increasing the minimum wage. Not everything left wing is "communist" you know. There are loads of different degrees of left wing (and right wing, for that matter). And the nationalisation of the railways is even supported by a majority of Conservative voters according to some polls, despite them being a very right wing party. It's nowhere near as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Criticise him all you want, but the claim that his policy is "communist" is just factually inaccurate.
Nationalisation of Energy, royal mail, Railways,Banks.This is pretty much the nationalisation of every major service.

Increasing the minimum wage while decreasing and capping high paid jobs is communism.The core theory to it is it aims to basically make sure everyone is on the same wage no matter what job they do.....again communism.You may or may not know the economic implications of policies like this that wipe out motivation and any dive from workers to do well and get a well paid job.The repercussions are not good to say the least.........

Conservatives.......right wing hahah that is a very isolated and misguided view.(I am not a supporter of conservatives either FTR)

And like ive said Labour has been supported and backed by communist groups and the main communist party are not fielding candidates because they believe in Labours policies and views.On top of this Jeremy has not once condemned that,he has also shown his admiration for communists.What does all this tell you....

Fundamentally these are the facts and are communist policies that cant be debated.
joe cooley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tbeyan)
I'm afraid its a bit more complicated than that Joe, like for example, the definition of 'Conservative' after all is 'to'hold traditional values', this includes racists values, and this goes back to the 1970s and even before. I know there have been reports of anti-semitic activity in the labour party, there has also been the same reports in the conservative party too, but clearly labour is against it since they suspended all the people who took part in that, yet at least 1 racist conservative prime minster have existed that i know of.

but clearly labour is against it since they suspended all the people who took part in that,

Not entirely true.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...nts-according/

March 15 Vicki Kirby, the vice chair of the Labour’s Woking branch is suspended after tweeting that Jews have “big noses” and “slaughter the oppressed”. MPs attacked the Party leadership after they initially refused to suspend her.

Labour MP Naz Shah is suspended after backing calls for Israel to “relocate” to America. She had resigned as an aide to the Party’s shadow chancellor the previous day, but Jeremy Corbyn was criticised by MPs for initially declining to suspend her from the party whip.

Why on earth would the leader of a political party which claims to champion equality and diversity be reluctant to suspend racists from his party?

Looks like Jeremy has a soft spot for Jew haters, anything to do with his friendship with Hamas and Hezbollah, do you think?
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pizza99)
Saw someone comment this on FB and thought it was worth sharing:

LABOUR MANIFESTO POLICIES (Inc. COSTS). [UPDATED]

It's YOUR RIGHT to vote! People DIED for it! So REGISTER to VOTE, so you can have the RIGHT to ALL this!

1.) £10 minimum wage.
2.) No increase in N.I. or Income Tax if earning less than £80k a year (those earning slightly above receiving a modest increase - 5% of the working populace).
3.) Scrapping tuition fees.
4.) Scrapping NHS car parking charges.
5.) Bringing the NHS back into public ownership.
6.) Reversing cuts to Corporation/Capital Gains Tax, which will recoup billions, basically by getting Amazon/Google/Media/Press Organizations/McD's etc to pay a bit extra tax (small businesses are protected through the N.I.B. - see No. 7 below).
7.) Creation of National Investment Bank (N.I.B.) to allow revenues to return to the economy.
8.) Nationalised Rail Network.
9.) Nationalised Energy Company using renewables as source.
10.) Increase funding for the conventional Armed Forces, and keeping Trident.
11.) 4 extra public Bank Holidays.
12.) Free school meals for all primary school kids - funded by slightly raised taxes from private schools.
13.) Protecting the triple-lock pensions.
14.) Renationalisation of the Royal Mail, and creation of Post Bank.
15.) Reversal of cuts to the disabled.
16.) Scrapping the Bedroom Tax.
17.) Scrapping Benefits Sanctions.
18.) Creation of a National Education Service - including access to Further and Higher Education, free at the point of use for all.
19.) Creation of a Tourism Dept. responsible for promoting and increasing growth in a lucrative industry that increases revenue.
20.) Tackling illegal and aggressive tax evasion/avoidance, fines to businesses using unethical practices or trading with unethical states, and prompter payments of fines to small businesses by the bigger ones.
1) And what about the businesses that can't afford to pay people £10 an hour? Sounds like an amazing policy on paper but when more people are unemployed because the employer can't afford to pay them hows that a good thing?

2) This argument really really annoys me. Yeah lets just tax the rich more. That's a great idea. Someone on 80k already pays 21k in taxes each year. The majority of wealthy people have worked so hard to get to where they are and considering they already pay what is equivalent to some peoples ANNUAL salary in taxes I just can't see how its fair to slap even more on them when they're the ones already contributing the most? All that'll do is make them take their business elsewhere.

3) This might sound selfish but whatever. Okay scrapping tution fees. Great. Fabulous idea. So what happens to the millions of us with 50k worth of debt. I know life isn't fair but when it's just one generation that gets a crappy deal it's made me reconsider. The people before us got it free. The people after us get it free. But if you went to uni between 2012/2017 then NOPE sucks to be you doesn't it.

4) Why do people talk like these are some great big massive burden. At my local hospital it's £3 all day. Do you not want them to maintain the carparks? Cause as someone who actually drives it's really not fun driving on a thousand potholes.

11) 4 extra bank holidays. Do you have a job? Bank holidays (Most of the time) come out of your holiday allowance. So instead of getting an extra four days off you technically lose 4 days of holiday because you HAVE to take the bank holidays off?

12) Free school dinners- Bear in mind Teresa May wants to give free school breakfasts instead (Breakfast being the most important meal of the day) and scrap dinners instead.

I don't want to comment on the rest of your points because I either don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion or i'm not sure of what the effect of them would be (For example the rail one aren't like Merseyrail, virgin, southern ect all separate companies? If so who would be running the rail network?)...
username2281303
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SunlethSky)
Labour has done **** all for Wales, which is meant to be its birthplace and stronghold. If they can't be trusted to not mess things up in their own base, what makes you think they're going to do any better with the whole country at Corbyn's disposal?

#Plaid for me.
nobody cares about wales

the welsh are the forgotten

Spoiler:
Show

#SHEEPSHAGGERS
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was going to make a long winded post regarding my policy objections but in light of the attack i guess i can briefly say that i won't be voting Labour because the idea of Corbyn dealing with foreign policy and security issues is only mild when compared with the truly terrifying thought of Dianne Abbot being at the head of MI5.
joe cooley
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Speaking in 1984, Abbott said that Ireland “is our struggle — every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us. A defeat in Northern Ireland would be a defeat indeed.” Abbott, then a Labour councillor added: “Though I was born here in London, I couldn’t identify as British.

Vote Labour and thats what you get as Home Secretary.

FFS Corbyn and Abbott in charge of the security of the UK, what a nightmare.
susu2234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the thing is, i like labours manifesto but i dont think Jeremy Corbin is a leader nor do i think that a lot of the things in the manifesto will happen (though saying that Donal Trump has done quite a lot, more than we expected)
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Metalfros)
Oh yeah, I remember that pdf Labour released a week ago with the 20 broken promises of the Tories, sourced and everything. Can't find it anymore because all the media focus on the negative things of Labour and positive things about May.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...ories-10371384
Most promises were made for the whole five years. It's rich to reproach the Tories to have broken them only two years after. Moreover, Brexit has changed the things since.
medhelp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can you please be more specific with the "modest" increase to the above 80k earners
because that does affect people roughly in to the millions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (349)
46.41%
No (80)
10.64%
I'm not old enough (323)
42.95%

Watched Threads