The Student Room Group

About to graduate limited experience

Hi guys,

I will graduate in July but I am quite stuck. I have worked at a supermarket for the last few years. And I have experience working at a parcel company for four weeks. However, I want to work in a admin role. The problem is that most ask for ICT experience like databases and other stuff but I do not have that. Every admin role I look for they always want experience.

In short, what should I do? How can I get a full time job with limited work experience. What do you guys suggest?
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Teach yourself some database stuff, it should take a weekend! Entry level jobs do NOT look for work experience - it's a blatant nonsense to do so. Employers DO expect you to show you have relevant experience, but that can be drawn from any aspect of your life. If you've got a degree, you have alsmt certainly got the IT skills for an entry level admin job, they all work with MSOffice products and maybe use Outlook calendars more than a student might, but not much else. Just do a weekend of googling Excel/Outlook/Access type skills and then drop the right words in your CV/covering letter and have some good descriptions for interview.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Hi guys,

I will graduate in July but I am quite stuck. I have worked at a supermarket for the last few years. And I have experience working at a parcel company for four weeks. However, I want to work in a admin role. The problem is that most ask for ICT experience like databases and other stuff but I do not have that. Every admin role I look for they always want experience.

In short, what should I do? How can I get a full time job with limited work experience. What do you guys suggest?

Register at recruitment agencies. You don't have to stick with one, you can join a few than just a couple.

Volunteer is the best option. Yes I know the negative - you don't get paid, but these days you have to make sacrifices in life to build a career. This is called determination and motivation. It also looks good on your CV too.
You can also look for full time work when volunteering as this is the most common way people start their career.

How do I know this?
Well I am saying from personal experience of how I've become an experienced Administrator since graduation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending