Actual textbook definition is incorrect?

Watch
Ash8991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For OCR Chemistry Unit 2, the textbook states that the definition for Structural Isomers is: "Structural Isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula but with different structural arrangement of atoms".

Now, in F322 June 2014, the mark scheme for a question asking for that definition says: "...molecules having the same molecular formula but different structural formulae"
"..'different arrange of atoms' is not sufficient"

So, me reciting the literal textbook definition is incorrect? I can make sense of the definition within the mark scheme but it worries me how the mark scheme sort of implies that the textbook is incorrect :/
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ash8991)
For OCR Chemistry Unit 2, the textbook states that the definition for Structural Isomers is: "Structural Isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula but with different structural arrangement of atoms".

Now, in F322 June 2014, the mark scheme for a question asking for that definition says: "...molecules having the same molecular formula but different structural formulae"
"..'different arrange of atoms' is not sufficient"

So, me reciting the literal textbook definition is incorrect? I can make sense of the definition within the mark scheme but it worries me how the mark scheme sort of implies that the textbook is incorrect :/
Just use the one from the mark scheme and dont think any further. You are sitting their exam. Its not worth distracting yourself over.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which textbook do you have? There tend to be a few for each course, and not all of them are always endorsed by the exam board.

It might also be worth having a look at some more past papers and seeing what answers the mark scheme gives for similar questions (I'd be surprised if a question like that hadn't come up a few times). I don't take chemistry, so I can't comment on which definition is better, but you could also try and phrase your answer in the exam to include both definitions, e.g. "structural isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula, but a different structural arrangement of atoms (and therefore different structural formulae)".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.31%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
55.84%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (42)
15.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.19%

Watched Threads