The Student Room Group

Really dumb question about applying for a job

I really want a job but I feel like I have no fixed schedule, for one I will be fasting soon for a month (which would make working in evenings hard af but i could still try?)

I have a month of school after exams:colonhash:

I have some days where I go to universities and also work experience.

How should I do this? I guess i cant have a full time job, if i have a part time job do i just tell the boss when I cant come in or something? Just work on the weekend? Never worked before :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
I really want a job but I feel like I have no fixed schedule, for one I will be fasting soon for a month (which would make working in evenings hard af but i could still try?)

I am abroad end of august

How should I do this? I guess i cant have a full time job, if i have a part time job do i just tell the boss when I cant come in or something? Just work on the weekend? Never worked before :tongue:

weekend job would be good. Just try and work out what hours you are free and see if there are any vacancies where you can work in those free hours. For the abroad thing, if you get an interview the interviewer will ask if you have any holidays booked, you can say youre going abroad at the end of august

Why don't you start by applying for a weekend job. Depending on where you apply there are bound to be opportunities for you to do extra shifts/overtime during the week (especially over summer to cover holidays) and then you can pick and choose when you're available to pick these shifts up?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bubblegumcat
weekend job would be good. Just try and work out what hours you are free and see if there are any vacancies where you can work in those free hours. For the abroad thing, if you get an interview the interviewer will ask if you have any holidays booked, you can say youre going abroad at the end of august

So i guess i could say I mainly want weekends but sometimes can do weekdays thank you!!

You need to figure out when you are free and available to work.
Get a calendar or month planner and cross of the days you cant work.
You need to apply for jobs which offer those hours.
This may limit the amount of jobs you can apply for.
Get into retail. Almost all companies give their sales assistants 4 hour contracts so the minimum you have to work each week is 4 hours. So, for example, if a store is open 9-6, then you might do 9-1, 11-3 or 2-6 - whatever works best for the team. Or if you can only do weekends and they close early on Sundays then you can only work every Sunday if you want to. If you're going abroad then just book that off as a holiday. Don't mention it to your management until a few weeks after you start the job.

I used to work in retail as management. We created a brand new shift (10-2, sometimes 11-3 if there was a delivery) for one of our girls because she had to pick up her kid from school at 3.30pm. If your management team are nice, you can basically do whatever hours you want as long as it works with the needs of the business. The others in my management team weren't happy about her hours but I backed her up the whole way because she was an excellent worker who helped us reach our targets so I didn't care what time she came in as long as she came in. If you prove yourself to be exceptional and on the ball, you can do whatever you want. As a member of management I was expected to work weekends but I threatened to quit if they made me. I was too valuable to my manager so I got away with it. :tongue:
Original post by delocalised
Why don't you start by applying for a weekend job. Depending on where you apply there are bound to be opportunities for you to do extra shifts/overtime during the week (especially over summer to cover holidays) and then you can pick and choose when you're available to pick these shifts up?

I agree.
And just mention any holidays during the interview.
Reply 7
Freelance might be a good solution. Just figure out what are you able to do remotely and search for remote job on-line. Normally such jobs don't require your permanent attention, they just have to be done on time. If you can do it at night - do it at night, if in the morning - go ahead. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending