help44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I missed my AS level exam, (Unit 1 Biology IAL(Edexcel board))

It was today and because I am in a foreign country, I'm not too sure how to go about it.

There are other June examinations happening at the moment, would I be able to sit for the exam now?

If it is only the Unit 1 exam, can I resit for the paper in October with my Unit 2 exams? Can I just use my other units for my final grade or will it be affected by my missing Unit 1 marks?

I go to a college and they aren't very helpful when it comes to providing these answers.

Please answer if you can help as I am trying to make the proper arrangements as soon as I can!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by help44)

It was today and because I am in a foreign country, I'm not too sure how to go about it.

There are other June examinations happening at the moment, would I be able to sit for the exam now?

If it is only the Unit 1 exam, can I resit for the paper in October with my Unit 2 exams? Can I just use my other units for my final grade or will it be affected by my missing Unit 1 marks?

I go to a college and they aren't very helpful when it comes to providing these answers.

Please answer if you can help as I am trying to make the proper arrangements as soon as I can!
You will not be able to sit them now.

You can sit them at the next available sitting. Contact the exam board. You will have to pay.
help44
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You will not be able to sit them now.

You can sit them at the next available sitting. Contact the exam board. You will have to pay.
Will I have to register again through my college? Or can I register with Edexcel directly?
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Why are you on holiday during exam season?
Anyway you'll probably have to wait until the resits and it's extremely likely you'll have to pay to resit.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Will I have to register again through my college? Or can I register with Edexcel directly?
Either. Check with your college and the exam officer to see if you can resit there, but if not, then you will have to find another test centre and enter as a private candidate. As you are still attending then you should be ok to sit there.
help44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackieox)
Why are you on holiday during exam season?
Anyway you'll probably have to wait until the resits and it's extremely likely you'll have to pay to resit.
I meant foreign country as in I take my A levels outside of the UK, sorry I worded it strangely!

Do they have resits in October along with the Unit 2 examinations?
help44
Rep:
?
Either. Check with your college and the exam officer to see if you can resit there, but if not, then you will have to find another test centre and enter as a private candidate. As you are still attending then you should be ok to sit there.
Alright, I'll try talking to the exam officer. Hopefully I'll be able to do it as soon as possible. As it's only Unit 1, and I've not registered for UCAS or any other unis, it shouldn't delay my university application process in the future, correct? (I'm an international student if that's relevant) (Also, I'm doing the old specifications, meaning that Unit 1 stands for 20% of my raw IAS marks..)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm quite new to the board and I've tried emailing my college about these questions to no avail...
help44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
As the others have said, you'll need to re-register for it, and pay a fee. The college may also charge you for missing the exam that they've entered you into and which you've missed.

Out of interest, what led you to miss an exam? It's not a common occurrence, that.
Are you aware if Edexcel offer resits in October? As I will be doing my Unit 2 examinations then.

I got into a minor car accident on the way to the college and missed the entrance time by 5 minutes.. unfortunately I wasn't allowed to enter as I was late.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Are you aware if Edexcel offer resits in October? As I will be doing my Unit 2 examinations then.

I got into a minor car accident on the way to the college and missed the entrance time by 5 minutes.. unfortunately I wasn't allowed to enter as I was late.

The college have a discretion to allow you in. Lots of other test centres allow it and considering your legitimate reason, then I think that is harsh / ridiculous.

The rules allow for a candidate to be let in late and given the full time.

They wouldnt even have had to submit any paperwork.

I'd be annoyed unless it was a clear rule not late admission applied. Considering its your school I'd be disappointed they wouldnt let you in if it really was 5 minutes.
help44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Oh dear - how terribly unfortunate.

There are no resits in October - the examinations are only available in the June series now. Depending on what subject it is, this could cause a problem in whether or not there even are resits available for your exam.

I'd contact your centre about this, pronto.
I've contacted them but have yet to hear from them. I'm doing the IAL specifications so they do offer examinations in both January and June. I am hoping that they have a resit paper in January. The only thing I'm worried about now is that because they're changing the content for 2018, they might not offer resits for 2017 papers?
help44
Rep:
?
The college have a discretion to allow you in. Lots of other test centres allow it and considering your legitimate reason, then I think that is harsh / ridiculous.

The rules allow for a candidate to be let in late and given the full time.

They wouldnt even have had to submit any paperwork.

I'd be annoyed unless it was a clear rule not late admission applied. Considering its your school I'd be disappointed they wouldnt let you in if it really was 5 minutes.
They did have a rule stating that I should have been there 15 minutes before the exam began. And because I don't have any substantial proof of my accident, my tardiness was not excusable. By the time I had finished talking to the teachers in-charge it had already been almost 15-20 minutes into the exam.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
They did have a rule stating that I should have been there 15 minutes before the exam began. And because I don't have any substantial proof of my accident, my tardiness was not excusable. By the time I had finished talking to the teachers in-charge it had already been almost 15-20 minutes into the exam.
They could still let you in . I just think its a bit hard nosed, but if the rules are there in advance then you know the score. Put it to the back of your mind and focus on the remaining ones.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

According to the latest timetable the Biology 1 paper will be available in the October exam session, talk to your college about the possibility of sitting it then.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...-timetable.pdf

It's a modular qualification so taking the unit later than planned doesn't affect the awarding of your A level.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Haider.alix)
Your are on a vacation during the exams?.
This discussion is 2 years old! Please don't dig up old dead discussions, especially with a needless question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (6)
46.15%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
7.69%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (1)
7.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (2)
15.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed