The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
For me to change my mind, the Labour party would have to kill or do some serious criminal act.

So you have proven then that you are voting for reasons devoid of logic, politics, and policies e.g. budget, morals, anything to actually do with the party itself. :rolleyes:

I hope you don't wonder why Trump got in as people like you are the exact reason why.
Original post by Jimbo1234
So you have proven then that you are voting for reasons devoid of logic, politics, and policies e.g. budget, morals, anything to actually do with the party itself. :rolleyes:

I hope you don't wonder why Trump got in as people like you are the exact reason why.

Sorry, I was just making a bad joke :redface:
No I support Labour because I like their policies on University Tuition fees and Foreign policy
Original post by JMR2017
Sorry, I was just making a bad joke :redface:
No I support Labour because I like their policies on University Tuition fees and Foreign policy

Yet their foreign policy is just dangerous. How did you react when Corbyn refused to sanction drone strikes? What about his support for terrorist organisations in the past?
And as for Uni fees, he can't change it as his budget is 10's of billions short. Plus who cares about uni costs when you have no job at the end...
Original post by Rakas21
Apologies.

Yes, i of course care about the nation as a whole. Indeed i have become more patriotic over time.

In terms of achievements that have actually impacted real people..

- Starter Home scheme (freeing people from taxation and passing on the discount)
- Reforming the education system to make it more challenging - the Gove reforms have resulted in us climbing up the international rankings despite whining students
- Tax threshold raised to £11,500
- Minimum wage raised to £7.50

Other government stuff obviously but that directly impacts people.

I'm not au fait on the ins and outs on the starter home scheme, so will have to concede that one. I'm fortunately in a position to not have to rely on this, so haven't researched it.

I think you're confusing the mechanics of education assessment with meaningful change. A successful education system is one that enables people to fill the jobs they a) want and/or b) the country needs. Thrown into that should be life skills, social skills and general good citizenship skills. There are horrific, gaping holes in our education system and teacher morale is in the toilet. I wouldn't trust Michael Gove with any aspect of my life (and I'm not exaggerating for effect). He is driven by ideology, which is disastrous for effective governance.

I'm sure the tax threshold and minimum wage have pretty much always increased at some rate or other - I don't think that is a Conservative policy per se?

So, my list of positive things from 7 years of Conservative leadership is starter homes.

I'm not especially left wing, I don't really want Labour to win (though would prefer them over the Conservatives generally). But I really do struggle to see what benefit this Government has been to anyone who isn't already rich.

In other threads you've mentioned that you're overlooking some faults in order to get the 'Brexit' you want. Without knowing your personal circumstances (i.e. whether you're rich or not), I can't say for sure, but I'd be highly surprised if the Conservative plan for the future of the UK is in the interests of 99% of the population. My evidence for that, is your list containing 1 item of positive policies from 7 years of power.

Latest

Trending

Trending