Are many people jealous of home educated children?

Watch
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As a person who was home educated for most of my secondary school age, but later studied at college, I have experienced the sharp end of prejudice towards home educated children in adult life. Some adults go round with the attitude that home educated children do not learn social skills and others believe that it's impossible for children to get a proper solid academic education unless they attend school. There are also those who think that home educated children are just dossers or slackers that don't get out of bed until midday. Employers aren't always sympathetic towards home educated children even if they later attended higher education.

Do you think that such people with prejudices towards home educated children are jealous at heart and wish that they were home educated themselves rather than attended school?
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nah home education is boring, i accidentally called my teacher mum once
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
I'm more surprised you feel you have experienced prejudice. I have spent exactly 0% of my life being jealous of such children. Each to their own and I'm glad I attended school. Maybe people are a lot less interested than you think.
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would I be jealous of a child with no social skills-and probably overbearing parents?
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've only ever had people at college being merely surprised and curious that I was home educated till GCSEs - not prejudice exactly, but I have been told that I've 'missed out' on not being at school. I would say they're not jealous as such, more sympathetic/mild mocking than anything else.
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
Nah home education is boring, i accidentally called my teacher mum once
:rofl:
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
As a person who was home educated for most of my secondary school age, but later studied at college, I have experienced the sharp end of prejudice towards home educated children in adult life. Some adults go round with the attitude that home educated children do not learn social skills and others believe that it's impossible for children to get a proper solid academic education unless they attend school. There are also those who think that home educated children are just dossers or slackers that don't get out of bed until midday. Employers aren't always sympathetic towards home educated children even if they later attended higher education.

Do you think that such people with prejudices towards home educated children are jealous at heart and wish that they were home educated themselves rather than attended school?
This has not been my experience of home educating or of my grandson's. He never attended school and went straight into college at 16. You are over-thinking your situation. Home education is not for everyone and is a position many people take for a host of reasons. I have experienced both ends of home education. I have met people who home educate and shouldn't even be allowed to have children, who have no social skills, who don't allow their children to be vaccinated, or even have a GP. and who live in their own little bubbles and do not think of the future when their children go out into the world as young adolescents or adults. These are the sort of people who feature in the media and is the public perception of home educators and their children. But I have also met home educators who home educate to literally save their children's lives because they have been so damaged by the school system that their children have been near to suicide.
Home education isn't the norm, and anything that is out of the norm will attract different attitudes from people depending what they know. If someone asked me out of curiosity about mine and my grandson's experience, I would be happy to explain to them.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
Why would I be jealous of a child with no social skills-and probably overbearing parents?
How many home educated children do you know? Not many, I'm sure. Schools don't always meet the needs of children. My 7 children all went to school, but when I got custody of my grandson, with his accompanying issues with development, physical disabilities and other issues, I home educated him in his best interests. When he got to secondary age, he had the choice of remaining home educated or going to secondary school. He choose to continue to be home educated. He had no problems with social skills, and the college thought very highly of him and he gets on exceptionally well with his peers.
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
How many home educated children do you know? Not many, I'm sure. Schools don't always meet the needs of children. My 7 children all went to school, but when I got custody of my grandson, with his accompanying issues with development, physical disabilities and other issues, I home educated him in his best interests. When he got to secondary age, he had the choice of remaining home educated or going to secondary school. He choose to continue to be home educated. He had no problems with social skills, and the college thought very highly of him and he gets on exceptionally well with his peers.
I know quite a few, including my cousins.

Plus, it was a joking post.
Mozart_Wolfgang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)

Home Ed is quite unusual in the UK, perhaps not so much in the US, so you are bound to meet some scepticism of the methodology. Your problem is that so few people will have a good understanding of home ed so they will just be working of the couple of anecdotal evidence they have. Maybe they met one person who was like you said a dosser with poor social skills so they infer that's what all home ed people are like.
Arran90
Rep:
?
There is anecdotal evidence that children who are unhappy at school - especially the social side or as a result of bullying and disrespect from teachers and children - become depressed adults. This is regardless of how well they did academically or what GCSE grades they achieved.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i would've liked to be unschooled or go to a sudbury school.
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnGreek)
Having prejudice does not mean that that prejudice is automatically fuelled by envy. I personally felt a lot of pity for the two kids I knew who were pulled out of school to be homeschooled by their parents.
There is a child centric vs parent centric argument in home education.

Some children are home educated because of their parent's ideology - such as religion or libertarian ideology - but they may be happy and successful if they attended school. Other children are home educated because of problems and difficulties they faced at school or they were unhappy at school.

I was in the second category but found that a significant proportion of local home educated children were in the first category, usually libertarian.

The public face of the home education community in Britain are libertarians which can make it difficult for families who home educate for different reasons.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yea problem is is with schools they can be just a stomping ground for richer people. Hence getting rid of grammar schools, mixing actually makes it better in every way even if you were heading for 100 in all your exams in a grammar.
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
This seems absolutely fine if I'm honest. It seems as if he's done well which is great for him.

Going back to the thread, what I don't agree with is the parents forcing their children to be home educated, in the post by Seamus, the son wanted to be home educated which is in his best interests meaning he is more enthusiastic. However, in my opinion, it should be the students choice on whether they want to be home educated or not.
Arran90
Rep:
?
In my experience of things electrical and mechanical engineers are VERY behind the curve when it comes to home education. Many of them that I have met were completely unaware that home education is legal and a few are even astounded that home education is legal.

Home educated children don't seem to go into traditional science and engineering careers although some go into computing, IT, and mathematics or accountancy careers.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. Grandson is doing IT and Media at college. We didn't do much of that when I was home educating him, but he was educated by the whole family, and not just me. My youngest son is a senior software engineer for a large company and he has encouraged him a lot.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Something to take into account is that computing, software development, and IT careers do not build on a traditional secondary school education. They are technically open to anybody who can master primary school level English and mathematics. There are plenty of people who have successful computing careers that failed badly at or dropped out of secondary school. In contrast, traditional science and engineering careers build on the knowledge of secondary school level mathematics and science. This probably explains why very few people from the electrical and mechanical engineering communities are home educated and they all succeeded in mathematics and science / physics at school.
Me and My Fone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
School is basically soft prison. The only reason we have it is for state indoctrination/programming. What could be more natural than the parents educating the child?
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have only known a couple, who then went to secondary school. No idea what happened to both of them. One I had sympathy for because I thought her dad was a strange man.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads