Turn on thread page Beta

Brunel's university ranking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just to start off, I got an ABC in my A levels (1 mark away from a B for the C grade, 2 marks away from an A for the A grade). 300 points. I got into my first choice university - Brunel, doing this course. It's one step closer to a Corvette dream.

Fair enough and I was and still am ecstatic, but my concern is this. I looked on The Guardian's league tables (ok, so it was 2003) and Brunel came very low in the general league table, for business and management, and for computing (the departments which concern me). Why? I thought Brunel was a very good university. I'm talking 90th of 115 universities. Even Oxford Brookes, who are asking for less points than Brunel, is ranked higher than Brunel and to make matters worse, so is my insurance choice Kingston university! I look on The Times and Brunel is 43rd for general, business, and computing, just one place below City which is respectable as there are 100 universities listed. Roehampton was higher than Brunel in The Guardian's league tables, and they only asked for 160 points for the courses which I liked!

What's more, Oxford Brookes and Kingston are placed lower in The Times interpretation of league tables, as are some of the universities which were placed above Brunel in The Guardian's league table. Roehampton came very low in The Time's tables, btw....

So what's gives with this huge deviation? Are league tables to be trusted? I know that when league tables from practically all newspapers and references place universities like Royal Holloway 10th, York 5th, Oxford 1st etc is correct.

I guess I'll have to search, there'll be a lot of information (threads) on a sensitive and controversial thing such as this. I appreciate the subjectiveness of these tables.

P.S. I got my AS12 the day after results, sent it off on the Saturday after results to the address specified (university) but I've got no information pack from Brunel which I was promised (they said a few days after exam results day). Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    Brunel IS a good uni, you should not place so much emphasis on league tables! If you're happy going to Brunel don't worry about anything else. And also don't worry about not getting an information pack, it'll come soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    So what's gives with this huge deviation? Are league tables to be trusted?
    IGNORE league tables, as usually they are a load of *******s. Instead, use the QAA website and get a feel for the uni you're applying to by visiting the place, after all what is the point of studying somewhere that is ranked 1st if you hate it so much it affects your academic performance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    IGNORE league tables, as usually they are a load of bollacks. Instead, use the QAA website and get a feel for the uni your applying to by visiting the place, after all what is the point of studying somewhere that is ranked 1st if you hate it so much it affects your academic performance?
    Agreed, conduct your own research on your chosen uni, check out reviews of it by current and past students, qaa reviews etc. I had a dillema about league table positions a while ago but now i feel alrite about it all. I can understand where you're coming from though, they can be discouraging.

ReputationRep:
    Nice advice.

I think university league tables are subjective so they can be positioned on criteria which varies on importance to and from people and the university can be downplaced thanks to criteria which had no bearing on the university's quality. For example spend score, if a uni is top notch it needn't spend anything and will have a low score for this and will effect the ranking, placing the uni in wierd positions when really the university is actually good but bizarre criteria which aren't the best change things. They have little relevance, and distort the table.

A lot of the criteria is dependent on student performance, and student performance is dependent on student performance - they can do poorly in Oxford and good in TVU because it's down to them and they're in control.

For me, Brunel is the most ideal university. City is good (1 place higher) but not in a nice area, Royal Holloway are asking for too many points and a little too far, and they changed my course after I applied to them - too late to change that. Brunel accept General Studies (ok so I got a U for that but if I got some points it would help me and be worthwhile of any time and effort), they're nearby, they're actually good for my course, and my friends are going there.

Make no mistake about it, I've researched the university, and like all unis, I've heard good and bad things although some of the adverse comments are not strong arguments (like no parking spaces wtf).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    For me, Brunel is the most ideal university. City is good (1 place higher) but not in a nice area, Royal Holloway are asking for too many points and a little too far, and they changed my course after I applied to them - too late to change that. Brunel accept General Studies (ok so I got a U for that but if I got some points it would help me and be worthwhile of any time and effort), they're nearby, they're actually good for my course, and my friends are going there.

Make no mistake about it, I've researched the university, and like all unis, I've heard good and bad things although some of the adverse comments are not strong arguments (like no parking spaces wtf).
    It’s refreshing to come across someone who doesn’t live (or die) by the league table.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember that somebody had to make up the criteria to place the universities in the league tables and so if someone else did it with their own criteria then the results would be different (as shown by the Guardian) - the point I'm making is that any university could come top; it doesn't make them better than anywhere else though no matter what people will tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to Brunel too :] Ignore the league tables...you got the same good vibe from the place as me by the looks of it and I'm sure we'll both be very happy there :]

Word of warning though...I haven't recieved any info pack either. HOWEVER...I (and several other people from newstudent.org) have found their tenancy agreement and housing info in their junk email folder. Yes. How STUPID is that? I emailed the accomodation guys back just to make them aware of the problem. Anyway, I suggest you check your junk email folder ASAP as the deadline for replying is the 27th.

xo

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.