The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE maths paper 3HR May 2017

I couldnt find any thread for the regional paper for the edexcel maths exam so i thought i would start 😝 How did everyone find it? I personally found it trickier than normal, especially the second last question that asks us to prove that 2^(p+1) is a factor of N. I also think the last question was particularly time consuming. The chords question was particularly hard for me.

Scroll to see replies

(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah totally! The last question took me like 20 mins and even then I'm still not sure about my answer. The second last question was tricky as well but I got it by making p=2 (you can use any number greater than 1) and then substituting stuff and proving it. The paper wasn't that bad 🙂
Hm I thought the paper was okay... it was definitely easier than January 2017 exam.
The last question did take a lot of time and it was only 5 marks... I think it should have been like 6 or 7 marks. But it went well overall.
If we can collate answers then we can try and make an unofficial markscheme
Original post by HarshMach
If we can collate answers then we can try and make an unofficial markscheme

Yeah good idea.
Reply 6
I thought that paper was pretty tough even the simultaneous equations was harder then usual
Please guys we need an unofficial mark scheme
Oh yeah the paper was quite tough I must say the simultaneous equations were tough
I did solve it at home tho...
Guys type in the questions that you remember. If u remember the question number that would be great if not just write the question down.
Simultaneous equation

Y^2 4x = 12
2x 3y = 10

not sure about question number
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by amir_abeer
Hm I thought the paper was okay... it was definitely easier than January 2017 exam.
The last question did take a lot of time and it was only 5 marks... I think it should have been like 6 or 7 marks. But it went well overall.

I agree it was much better than January 2017 i was surprised too that the last question was worth 5 marks only too 😝
Reply 12
Does anyone know the answer for the last question of the 3hr maths paper? Like it asks you what is S=?
Original post by Janxgs
Does anyone know the answer for the last question of the 3hr maths paper? Like it asks you what is S=?

6x^2-15x-38 I got this by using cosine rule and then as AB was 2BR I just times it by 2 to get the answer.
Original post by HarshMach
6x^2-15x-38 I got this by using cosine rule and then as AB was 2BR I just times it by 2 to get the answer.

I got 3x^2 - 15x + 19 for AB and then I did times it by 2 but I wasnt sure about the ax^2+bx+c part, hopefully I will get method marks
Reply 15
Can anyone provide us a copy of Paper 3HR May 2017?
Practically it was good...it was just the last 3 questions.. The simultaneous was easy for me..I got the answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
there was a question about lines going through the circle from a point outside the circle. the two lines never crossed. I'm not sure about the values but I used a X b = c X d to answer. Not sure if that was correct
Reply 18
I used it too and got 15cm as my answer. I think it was correct
Does anyone remeber the indicies question (2nd last) in the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest