The Student Room Group

Any experiences/information on Nottingham's Preliminary Vet Med course?

Hello,

I am hoping to apply this October for this course. Just wondered if anybody has any advice or experiences to share? Or what it is like to do vet med at Nottingham in general?

I'm guessing this course is highly competitive as with any other vet med degree. Does anybody have any statisitics/figures to show this? Typical ages of applicants?

Anybody on this forum who is doing/ hoping to do this course, what kind of experiences/qualifications do you have? Any mature students in employment struggling to meet the work experience requirements?

I know this is a bit of a vague post, but just looking for general discussion really.

A bit about me:
I have a BTEC in Animal Management and a diploma in vet nursing (currently working as a nurse in small animal practice). I've decided I want to be a Vet but as I don't have the traditional A-levels, I'm limited to just applying to Nottingham

Rugrat95 :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I'm graduating from Nottingham this year, a range of ages do the prelim course, I know several mature students who did it. Qualifications are a range from A levels to BTECs - if you're worried about that, you should ring the uni admissions team :smile:

Nottingham is a good uni to be at :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Angry cucumber
Hi I'm graduating from Nottingham this year, a range of ages do the prelim course, I know several mature students who did it. Qualifications are a range from A levels to BTECs - if you're worried about that, you should ring the uni admissions team :smile:

Nottingham is a good uni to be at :smile:

Hi thanks for your reply,

Do the prelim students ever work alongside students doing the 5yr course, and do you think they fit in well with the younger students?

I definitely meet the academic requirements for the prelim course, I'm more concerned about my lack of varied experience and not getting into vet school at all (especially as I'm limited to only applying to the one). There are only 20 places for the prelim course (I think), and no doubt there will be many strong applications!

Could you tell me in an unbiased way why Nottingham is a good vet school? :smile: How did it stand out to you from other vet schools?
Original post by Rugrat95
Hello,

I am hoping to apply this October for this course. Just wondered if anybody has any advice or experiences to share? Or what it is like to do vet med at Nottingham in general?

I'm guessing this course is highly competitive as with any other vet med degree. Does anybody have any statisitics/figures to show this? Typical ages of applicants?

Anybody on this forum who is doing/ hoping to do this course, what kind of experiences/qualifications do you have? Any mature students in employment struggling to meet the work experience requirements?

I know this is a bit of a vague post, but just looking for general discussion really.

A bit about me:
I have a BTEC in Animal Management and a diploma in vet nursing (currently working as a nurse in small animal practice). I've decided I want to be a Vet but as I don't have the traditional A-levels, I'm limited to just applying to Nottingham

I have an unconditional for Notts prelim starting this September :smile:

I did an Access course to fulfill entry requirements as I didn't do A levels either, and I had around 15 weeks of work experience. I'm a mature student (25), and I ended up taking time out of work to complete the Access and WE.

It's a competitive course, but if you make your application strong enough there's no reason why you can't secure a place :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by seize_the_day
I have an unconditional for Notts prelim starting this September :smile:

I did an Access course to fulfill entry requirements as I didn't do A levels either, and I had around 15 weeks of work experience. I'm a mature student (25), and I ended up taking time out of work to complete the Access and WE.

It's a competitive course, but if you make your application strong enough there's no reason why you can't secure a place :smile:

Congratulations! :smile:

Did you apply to any other vet schools? How varied was your work experience? What was your previous background/career before you decide to go for vet med? How long did you have to take off work to do the access course? Sorry for all the questions! I have considered doing an access course myself just so that I can apply to other vet schools and improve my chances of getting in somewhere, but not sure how it will fit around work etc.

Good luck for the start of the course :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations! :smile:

Did you apply to any other vet schools? How varied was your work experience? What was your previous background/career before you decide to go for vet med? How long did you have to take off work to do the access course? Sorry for all the questions! I have considered doing an access course myself just so that I can apply to other vet schools and improve my chances of getting in somewhere, but not sure how it will fit around work etc.

Good luck for the start of the course :smile:

Thank you!

I applied to Notts, Surrey, RVC & Bristol. I had interviews from the first 3, and offers from Notts & Surrey. Check entry requirements at the different unis, you may just have more options than you think. I made my work exp as varied as possible... I had large, small and mixed (including farm) vet practices, lambing, dairy farm, beef farm, kennels, cattery, wildlife centre, birds of prey, equine biomechanics, abattoirs (2 of them)... I found places which could combine areas of interest, which meant the time spent wasn't too excessive, but I could learn plenty from them.

I went the apprenticeship route when I left school, and I work in engineering at the minute. I took 6 months out of work to do the Access course, but I did all of my work exp in this time too, so I felt it was well utilised. It's difficult to fit it all around work, but there are options. Bear in mind that both Bristol and Liverpool do foundation years too, so these may be worth looking in to in order to widen your options a little. Best of luck, if you want to make it happen, you'll find a way to do it :smile:
Hello,

A bit about me:

hey, i'm in the exact same boat as you , did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest